Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Wire (HBO) TV Show • Page 12

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Melody Bot, Jan 11, 2016.

1. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

Season 2 is good but you just end up loving the characters of 1 so much that it’s jarring to leave them for a while. But then you get used to them switching up the focus each season. 4 is my favorite.

imthesheriff and Victor Eremita like this.
  2. Morrissey

Trusted

I've never seen anyone rank 2 below 5.

3. RJ Knorr Feb 26, 2023
    (Last edited: Feb 26, 2023)
    RJ Knorr

Trusted Supporter

Typically you don’t watch season 5 before season 2 during a first watch

imthesheriff likes this.
  4. Victor Eremita

Not here. Isn't happening. Supporter

5 is pretty much the consensus worst season and the only season that isn’t great imo. It took a while for season 2 to be appreciated the way that it is now

Ken, imthesheriff and RJ Knorr like this.
  5. Morrissey

Trusted

No one thinks they would.

6. Morrissey

Trusted

Probably the biggest flaw in Season 2 is how long it takes to get the unit back together. It is a lot of plot to get back to the meat of the show.

7. Halitosis Jones

Too lazy for Fajitas

Biggest flaw is season 2 is how bad of an actor the guy playing Nicky Sobotka is.

8. imthegrimace

the poster formally known as thesheriff Supporter

Put some respect on Pablo Schreiber. He was in den of thieves.

the rural juror likes this.
  9. Morrissey

Trusted

Apparently he is Master Chief in the Halo show.

10. Halitosis Jones Feb 26, 2023
    (Last edited: Feb 26, 2023)
    Halitosis Jones

Too lazy for Fajitas

Yeah the reason 5 is the worst is mainly because Simon's other collaborators were off working on other projects so it was pure unfiltered David Simon. Season 5 is what Simon's output looks like when he doesn't have Ed Burns telling him his ideas are bad

Also I think after 4 I think they thought for sure they were getting canceled so they didn't have much time to plan season 5 out. Which also why the other writers were doing other stuff.

Victor Eremita likes this.
  11. bedwettingcosmo

i like bands who can't sing good Supporter

the docks ruled. every season of this show rules.

kidwithhelmet and imthesheriff like this.
  12. Morrissey

Trusted

It's so hard to reconcile Simon's very basic Democratic Party political beliefs on Twitter and other platforms with what the show presents. It really feels like two different people.

Victor Eremita likes this.
  13. Daniel

Party Mom Supporter

Finished my re-watch last night. Still so good, I think I liked it more on this watch. Season 5 is definitely the weakest, the whole serial killer thing with McNulty is a little too cutesy for this show, and while there was some good stuff with the newspaper, it didn't get integrated into the grander scheme as well as the other framing devices in previous seasons. Omar is still one of the best characters of all time. Grabbed a copy of All the Pieces Matter and excited to start that soon.

Also started The Shield last night, which I always heard was a good counterpoint to The Wire. Tonally a little different than I thought, at least from the first episode, kinda cheesy, but I'm definitely in.

14. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

i got busy and slowed down on my watch - mid season 3 now. will try to pick back up soon.

imthesheriff likes this.
  15. Halitosis Jones

Too lazy for Fajitas

The character Gus in season 5 is so obviously Simon's avatar and representation of how he views himself and it's not even the tiniest bit subtle.

16. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

17. Halitosis Jones

Too lazy for Fajitas

:tear: RIP

18. Daniel

Party Mom Supporter

Goddammit.

19. Halitosis Jones Mar 17, 2023
    (Last edited: Mar 17, 2023)
    Halitosis Jones

Too lazy for Fajitas

I just DM'd my friend who loves The Wire and she said " he was the perfect buff salamander " and I am sorry that had me rolling:crylaugh:

Daniel likes this.
  20. PauLo

43% Burnt

Daniels was low key one of the best characters in the show. Probably the only character that stuck to his guns and had morals. And Lance Reddick was perfect in the role. This sucks.

RIP

imthesheriff likes this.
  21. Daniel

Party Mom Supporter

Just one of those actors that, whatever they were in, as soon as they were on the screen you knew you were in good hands.

22. Halitosis Jones

Too lazy for Fajitas

23. Rob Hughes

Play the Yakuza series

Just finished my first watch of this show. Pretty damn amazing, isn’t it?

Ken likes this.
  24. Atticus5143

Trusted

I have 5 episodes left. The whiplash of going from how good season 4 is and how head-scratching some of season 5 is…

Halitosis Jones likes this.
  25. Halitosis Jones

Too lazy for Fajitas

The reason for this is in season 5 most of Simon's collaborators in the writer's room left to work on other projects. Ed Burns who was the real big reason why the first 4 seasons of The Wire was so good left to work on Generation Kill. They thought season 4 was to going to be the last, so when it got renewed it caught them off guard and Simon had to do it pretty much alone.

Season 5 was what David Simon completely unfiltered looks like..which is not that great. I would say though even though season 5 is bleh they stick the landing at the very end.

Atticus5143 likes this.