Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Who Band

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by primavera, Jun 13, 2018.

1. primavera

big baller brand Supporter

Pulling a @cshadows2887 and making a thread for a 60 year old band.

[​IMG]

The Who are an English rock band formed in 1964. Their classic line-up consisted of lead singer Roger Daltrey, guitarist and singer Pete Townshend, bass guitarist John Entwistle, and drummer Keith Moon. They are considered one of the most influential rock bands of the 20th century, selling over 100 million records worldwide and holding a reputation for their live shows and studio work.

Discuss. I feel like they kinda get left behind in the Beatles/Stones/Zep conversation, but they're every bit as good imo. Their use of synths that early on with rock music is pretty much unprecedented.

2. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

Who's Next stands right next to Zeppelin's IV as the absolute pinnacle of a certain vein of rock.

Mo Bounce and primavera like this.
  3. primavera

absolutely. the thing i feel like that gets missed about this band is the entire genre of power pop basically ceases to exist without them. a quick one and tommy basically birthed the genre.

4. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

I've always found Tommy overrated (the ratio of filler that advances the "plot" to real songs is a bit skewed) but undeniably the knockouts on that set the template.

They were also WAY more versatile than they get credit for when they get hyped as the loudest band ever. Any band who can do that kind of screaming rock but also "Squeeze Box", "I Can't Reach You", "You Better You Bet" and "Eminence Front" is pretty gifted

primavera likes this.
  5. primavera

!!!!!!!

6. ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

7. beachdude

I'm not brave Prestigious

8. Steve_JustAGuy

Trusted

That's kind of been them for years now. They (mostly Pete) have really gone great lengths to try and trash their own legacy, but then trot out another tour for whatever reason and become cranky grandfathers taking potshots at each other in interviews.

I love The Who, but this sucks because they clearly don't enjoy performing together at this point.

beachdude likes this.
  9. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

beachdude likes this.
  10. Steve_JustAGuy

Trusted

I'll stand by my previous post, but I think this was a good response/clarification.

beachdude likes this.
  11. Mo Bounce

Mo bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce

12. Steve_JustAGuy

Trusted

Enjoyed the new album. Nice addition to their catalog.

13. ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious