Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Wheel of Time (Robert Jordan) Book • Page 5

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Vivatoto, Mar 30, 2016.

1. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

I love their sales so much. I think when I get a new job, I may go for the $22/2 credit plan, and then do like one new book/one re-read or something. I think about this a lot.

I returned five books the other day for two credits and three cash refunds. That was shockingly easy and nice.

scottlechowicz likes this.
  2. scottlechowicz

Trusted Supporter

And now I just did this. Haha

Garrett L. likes this.
  3. Garrett

They say don't abuse it, but I legit just did not have any desire to ever read those five again. Others? Probably will or legit enjoyed. I still felt guilty about it.

4. scottlechowicz

Trusted Supporter

Oh, not the return. I just upgraded to 2/$22.

But it's goood to know that return is an option.

Garrett L. likes this.
  5. Garrett

Excellent. If you haven't gotten your free book from someone else yet and you want any of mine, just let me know.

6. scottlechowicz

Trusted Supporter

I didn't know that was a thing! I don't know anyone else with audible.

7. Garrett

You can receive one book for free from another user. It's supposed to be used to "get new members" but as long as you've never received one, you still qualify. I got "Girl on the Train" from a friend and gave her one of mine in return.

8. scottlechowicz

Trusted Supporter

Update! 12 chapters in. I have been coming along slowly, as I always try to ease into fantasy series where names and such are a little bit hard to track.

I am excited to keep progressing. That prologue did a fantastic job of getting me interested.

Vivatoto and Garrett L. like this.
  9. Garrett

That prologue is some of the best fantasy writing in the world.

Vivatoto and scottlechowicz like this.
  10. Vivatoto

Royal Court of Princess Donut Prestigious

Yeah the prologue is perfect. The tension between those two monumental figures is unreal. The prologues are consistently great, even as the format changes as the series goes along.

I think the hardest time I had with the series and learning characters names and whatnot was Edmond's Field right off the bat.

11. Garrett

The cast is so large by the end of it, haha. I'm surprised I could keep most of the politics and people straight.

12. scottlechowicz

Trusted Supporter

I find it harder via audiobook. I find myself wishing I had the book in front of me so that I can keep track of names. This is gonna end up like 100 YEARS OF SOLITUDE with my making a family tree diagram, isn't it?

13. Vivatoto

Ha, I don't know how to pronounce most of the names so if I were listening to the audiobook it would probably be a completely different experience. I've never had to say Nynaeve out loud, and i know I say it wrong in my head. I can't even image hearing all those Aes Sedai names.

14. scottlechowicz Jan 31, 2017
    (Last edited: Jan 31, 2017)
    scottlechowicz

Trusted Supporter

He pronounces it nigh-neev, as in the "the end is nigh" FYI. Haha

Vivatoto likes this.
  15. Vivatoto

Nigh-Na-Vee is how I've pronounced it in my head and I knew that was wrong. I can't wrap my head around the silent A, haha.

16. Garrett

I always did Nigh-nigh-eve (naive)

17. Vivatoto

At first I was thinking that sounds really silly with two nigh nighs but then I said it a few time and it might be the best sounding of the three, haha.

Garrett L. likes this.
  18. Garrett

Egg-ween?

That one always messed me up, too.

19. Vivatoto

I guess it's kind of silly for me to to hold the E at the end, probably one of the reasons that never felt right...but I'm set in my ways.

Garrett L. likes this.
  20. Vivatoto

I've gone with Eu-ween for that one...because apparently G's are U's in my world.

Garrett L. likes this.
  21. Garrett

lol how does this work bud?

22. Vivatoto

I guess I'm sort of bastardizing the silent G's you see in words like Bough and Through and saying I'll have nothing to do with those stupid H's. I guess I sort of pronounce the G in my head, so maybe more like You-Gween, but maybe if someone had a particular accent it would slide by.

-What the hell am I talking about? I don't know

coleslawed and Garrett L. like this.
  23. Garrett

I love the different ways people pronounce fantasy names. It cracks me up. I got told I pronounced Asmodean wrong and it still makes me angry.

Vivatoto likes this.
  24. Vivatoto

Did you think it was Asmo-deen when it's suppose to be Asmo-De-An? If so, same for me.

25. Garrett

I always said Asmo-Dee-An, and this person was Asmo-deen.