Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Wheel of Time (Robert Jordan) Book • Page 4

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Vivatoto, Mar 30, 2016.

1. Vivatoto

Royal Court of Princess Donut Prestigious

No, I just read Mat's rescue and decided to put it down when the pov switched to Rand with a little less than 100 pages left. Wanted to sit with that moment for a bit and top it off this evening. I love it.

Garrett L. likes this.
  2. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

Not to be impatient, but Rand's POV to finish WH is my second favorite section in all of WoT so I'm going to need you to go ahead and finish now...

Vivatoto likes this.
  3. Vivatoto

Ha that's awesome because I wasn't sure if you were talking about Mat's section or Rand's since I'd put Mat's up there with my favorites so far. Now I'm really excited.

Garrett L. likes this.
  4. Vivatoto

Well that was fucking intense...Kind of feel like we got 3 excellent climaxes with this one, Mats rescue, Rand's battle, and the cleansing. I loved the way he switched around to a bunch of the Forsaken at the end, and I'm glad to hear who Dashriva is because I totally assumed he was one of them (I guessed Semiharage). I appear to be in the midst of the section where people hated it and I don't get it at all. It's as great as ever.

Garrett L. likes this.
  5. Vivatoto

A good way through book 10. The Mark chapter is one of my favorites in the entire series. That's the one where Elaida calls out Alviarin and the fucking Great Lord shows up...omg

Garrett L. likes this.
  6. Vivatoto

Ha, I like Perrin's method of interrogation

Garrett L. likes this.
  7. Vivatoto

I liked book 10, this was the first one without any sort of climax though. Glad I'm over the hump and have nothing but greatness left, also very relieved that I still really enjoyed the negatively reviewed section. With only one RJ book left (not including New Spring) I'm starting to get really sad. When I started this was exactly what I was looking forward to, but RJ's writing has quickly become a favorite of mine. He's one of the only authors I find legitimately funny.

Tuon is the best, more of her please.

Also this book had NO Nynaeve, wtf, she was in one chapter hanging out but I don't even think she had a line of dialogue.

Garrett L. likes this.
  8. Vivatoto

Wasn't planning on reading a WOT book this month since I didn't want to take a week away from my horror reading, and I realized this would be the perfect time to read New Spring since it's relatively short.

I don't think I'll make my goal of reading the entire series this year. I easily could if I pushed it but I'm loving it so much I want to take a little bit of time. Still not going to drag it out, probably finish in Jan or Feb

Garrett L. likes this.
  9. Vivatoto

Reading New Spring now, the entire series has like an eve of the apocalypse-type feeling, but this one specifically is playing with the impending doom a lot, mainly because we know at this point how shitty things are going to get. Loving young Moiraine and Siuan, just breaks my heart though.

EDIT: you'd think by now I'd be able to spell those goddamn names but I had to edit that like three times, ha

Garrett L. likes this.
  10. Vivatoto

Goddamn New Spring was stellar. It's depressing that we'll never see more of the proposed trilogy because it would have been great, though I was happy that in the end this did feel like a complete story. I was really happy to read more about the towns on the Borderlands. It got me really good when Moiraine bonded Lan. Also I take back my previous post, the impending doom was not a common theme throughout the novel and it was a lot more "fun" and lighthearted than I was expecting (While still remaining fairly dark)

The Lucky Moose and Garrett L. like this.
  11. Vivatoto

A little bit over halfway in Knife of Dreams and it's so incredible. Jordan at his best again, I'm really happy that he went out on such a great note since he deserves to be remembered with all the reverence in the world. So many great action sequences, the trolloc battle at the manor, the opening Trial Under the Light, Mat tearing through motherfuckers. Also the letter from Morraine...omg

Garrett L. likes this.
  12. Garrett

I'm going to go ahead and have you finish the series asap.

How did you feel about Crossroads of Twilight?

Vivatoto likes this.
  13. Vivatoto

Ha, I have the next two coming in the mail now so I'll be ready.

I enjoyed it, I see why people don't love it, though I think they were way too hard on it. In all fairness if I was waiting for the release dates and had years in between I might be a bit sad when the story moves as slowly as it does. His writing has gotten consistently better so it's great to see both story and writing coalesce in such an outstanding package for his last book. I mentioned in a previous post it was the only one without a really memorable climatic moment that my mind immediately jumps to when I hear the title.

Garrett L. likes this.
  14. Garrett

Excellent. I really want to re-read the whole series next year. Made up my mind to do it a few weeks ago.

That's all fair. I'm curious how I feel on the re-read. It was the first one where I had to wait for the publishing, so I know that feeling well.

Vivatoto likes this.
  15. Vivatoto

Feast of Crows and Dance of Dragons are a good comparison to it I think, similar problems where the cast of characters is just so damn large at this point you have to accept that time isn't going to be moving forward like a lightning bolt. The comparison also works because I love both of those books too.

I'm looking forward to following along for your reread. You'll have to post at least as much as I have, haha.

Garrett L. likes this.
  16. Garrett

I love ADWD. It hit the slow burn perfectly in the ways I enjoy.

Vivatoto likes this.
  17. scottlechowicz Jan 25, 2017
    (Last edited: Jan 25, 2017)
    scottlechowicz

Trusted Supporter

Popping in just to say that I literally just started reading Eye of the World. I'm doing the audiobook, so I'm not sure how quickly I'll progress. But hopefully I can chat some with you fine people.

Applogies for forcing you all to return to spoiler tags haha.

Edit: Also, I'm starting this on the heels of ploughing through Stormlight Archive. And all I thought was "whoa! Younger Michael Kramer!" Haha. (For you audiobook people)

Garrett L. and Vivatoto like this.
  18. Garrett

Eye of the World is such a delightful book. That re-read I've got planned for this series is going to be beautiful.

Vivatoto and scottlechowicz like this.
  19. Garrett

Did you get the audiobook on Audible or Overdrive?

scottlechowicz likes this.
  20. Vivatoto

Yeah when I read Eye of the World I was in the head space of starting a 14 book trilogy and as such didn't read it with as much admiration as I should have. It could be a one off fantasy book in it's own right and it would still be incredible. Very much looking forward to reading it again with all I know now.

Garrett L. likes this.
  21. scottlechowicz

Trusted Supporter

Audible

Garrett L. likes this.
  22. Garrett

Very nice. I've been debating whether or not to do a classic read (I own all 15* hardcovers) or to get them on Audible. As soon as I start and finish my Dark Tower re-read, they're my next series up.

*the prequel

23. scottlechowicz

Trusted Supporter

I tend to only do audible now. It means I can engage books at more opportunities. My fiancée goes to sleep at 10ish. I don't want to have the lights on to read, so I'll just lay in bed and ploughing through an hour or 2 of audiobook.

I do miss reading traditionally. But life gets in the way. :/

Garrett L. likes this.
  24. Garrett

I have an easier time focusing on audiobooks right now, oddly. I go in phases. They just get expensive for where I'm currently at financially. I love listening to them at the gym.

25. scottlechowicz

Trusted Supporter

I have to limit myself to one a month for the $15. That hasn't been a problem lately since I've only been listening to these thick ass fantasy books. That suits me for now, given my busy schedule. But yeah, they are pricey :/

Garrett L. likes this.