Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Wheel of Time (Robert Jordan) Book • Page 25

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Vivatoto, Mar 30, 2016.

1. TomG

Trusted Supporter

On Knife of Dreams, pace is much better so far. Characters I actually care about and way less random aes sedai names

2. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

3. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

4. Aight finished knife of dreams. Trying to finish the last three by end of next month and then I'll see if I want to read the prequel.

Mat's story is the best right now. Followed by Rand then Egwene. Nynaeve has barely been a factor lately which is good since she's been my least favorite. Though Elayne is making a push for that. Perrins arc is just kind of there and takes up too many pages.

Helloelloallo likes this.
  5. TomG

Trusted Supporter

On Towers Of Midnight…Sanderson is landing this plane like a boss.

6. Damn you're moving fast

7. TomG

Trusted Supporter

I know! I got the audiobook from my library through Libby and have just been doing it through headphones a ton

8. Halfway through towers of midnight and my god Egwene is the absolute worst at this point. Nynaeve definitely turned it around. But mat is the best/most interesting character.

And no disrespect to Robert jordan but I enjoy Brandon Sanderson more. He doesn't stick to one thread for 300 pages and he doesn't produce walls of text that are a full page long.

theagentcoma and TomG like this.
  9. stayillogical

Kayak, deed, rotator, noon, racecar, Woo Young-woo Prestigious

When is season 2 out? I'm only a little more than halfway through the first book. The more I read, the more invested I get into it. Not sure how far I'll be in the series when the next season comes out. Is it covering one book again?

10. Garrett

We don’t know yet; they’re still filming from what I can tell. I remember reading it could cover a fair bit if book 2 and 3.

11. stayillogical

I'm still on the first book but I just finished the chapter where Rand meets Elayne and the Queen. I had a good laugh when he realized where he was. That was awesome. Kid is supposed to be laying low and he accidentally falls into a palace garden. The wheel weaves as the wheel wills!!!

Brother Beck and Garrett like this.
  12. It took me 12 months but I have finished the series. Thoughts on it overall tomorrow.

coleslawed, theagentcoma and Garrett like this.
  13. TomG

Trusted Supporter

Took me the better part of a year too starting last December! Looking forward to hearing

spiffa0 likes this.
  14. Alright this will be spoilerish so do not read if you are not done the series.

The first thing I want to say is that binge reading a series like this is the worst way to experience it. 14 books is a lot, and you really feel the length in some of these, especially books 7-11 or so. If you had the opportunity to read this book by book as they came out, the year or two of waiting for the next book would increase the excitement and you would savor every word in each of the 1000 page books. But when you are just trying to race to the end, it gets frustrating to be hit with walls of text or plots that take forever to resolve and don't really move the story forward that much.

I also want to say I really enjoyed Brandon Sanderson's style more than Robert Jordan. Not trying to compare them as writers, but Brandon not spending 300 pages on the same story arc was a welcome improvement. I like it more when books only spend a chapter or two before moving to somewhere else in the story.

So I think this was a very good book series. But I think this would have been a very great 10 book series. Tons of fat could be trimmed and could have really made this more special than it already is. But again, I might just feel that way because of how I consumed the series.

I'm not going to go book by book or anything. I can't remember a lot of what happened at this point lol. I think Rand and Mat's arcs are my favorite, followed by Aviendha. I still don't like Nynaeve that much, and was surprised she took more of a back seat towards the end of the story (in terms of how much she was in the book not her importance). Egwene was a frustrating character for me and I was not that sad when she died. Big fan of Lan, Loial, Birgitte. Elayne had her moments but also a lot of moments where I couldn't stand her. The wise ones were great, and I really liked the Aiel in the first half or so of the series. I feel like they took a pretty big back seat as things progressed. Perrin was...fine. Some parts of his story I really liked. The whole wolf dream and shifting between there and reality was a little wacky for me.

I liked the end for the most part but feel it was kind of rushed. Would have liked more in the epilogue about what happened after everyone started to pick up the pieces. And I didn't really understand the Rand/Moridin switching how they looked. Did Elayne/Aviendha use that mirror weave? Maybe I missed it. What will happen between the Seanchan and everyone else? Does Min stay with Tuon? Does Mat?

Also, all of this takes place within two years?? Thats a lot of shit happening lol.

In terms of translating the series to tv, I feel like it is impossible lol. At minimum, you probably need 50-60 episodes and that would be cutting a lot out. And I don't know if they will get that many to be honest. And no idea how they could translate the entire last book to the screen with how bad the first season looked. But I'm someone who can separate the source material from a TV or movie and will just judge the show as a separate entity.

I'm definitely sad I'm done. Was nice having this whole series and world to dive into. I'm still two books short of my goal this year so I'll probably read New Spring and just something quick since we are nearing the end of the year. Since I really enjoyed Sanderson, maybe I'll dive into some of his work.

TomG, theagentcoma and Garrett like this.
  15. Garrett

We have a Sanderson thread, if you want to jump in when you do. “Mistborn: The Final Empire” is probably the perfect starting point.

theagentcoma likes this.
  16. theagentcoma

yeah good okay Prestigious

Yessss jump into Sanderson's world next

17. stayillogical

I'm on book 2 now. Just sharing a thought, it's so funny how Perrin thinks Rand knows how to talk to girls, and Rand thinks it's Perrin that knows how to talk to girls. I love these little bits of humor as I read.

Brother Beck likes this.
  18. stayillogical

Holy crap... Rand, Loail, and Hurin are in another dimension that supports the multiverse theory. I freaking love this.

19. stayillogical

Do you guys have any website/map recommendations I can look at while I read? I like to see where the characters are. I've google imaged and seen some with different color lines for each set of characters but I wonder if there's something out there that will change depending on what chapter I'm on. That would be pretty cool. If not, I guess I can wait to the end if the book to see where everyone's path went.

20. TomG

Trusted Supporter

Not really “where” but the WoT Compendium app helped me immensely with characters and things when I just read through the books for the first time this year!

21. stayillogical

This is still cool! I definitely needed it. I have mistakenly read spoilers when looking up a name I forgot. Thanks!

22. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

I've been listening to The Wheel of Time books on audiobook at night to help me relax before bed / fall asleep. Last night before bed I had been coming to the end of The Great Hunt. I ended up staying up almost all night listening - I had forgotten how much I love the climax of that book.

23. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

For whatever reason, this time through I was incredibly affected by Ingtar's storyline, particularly it's resolution, and Rand adamantly calling him "my friend" in his interior monologue.

Garrett likes this.
  24. Garrett

AMoL Major Spoiler: Brandon was allowed to reveal his last secret at the ten year anniversary. Turns out, Lanfear manipulated Perrin leading up and into the Last Battle so that he would believe she’s dead, but she’s actually alive. So. Lanfear actively fought the Dark One on their behalf while she convinced them she died, so she can live how she wants.

25. stayillogical

Holy cow. I just finished The Great Hunt. That was magnificent. I'm getting teary eyed at Uno and Masema proclaiming themselves for the dragon. Reminds me of the Council of Elrond in LOTR. What an adventure this book was.

Garrett and Brother Beck like this.