Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Wheel of Time (Robert Jordan) Book • Page 21

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Vivatoto, Mar 30, 2016.

1. scottlechowicz

Trusted Supporter

I’ve missed him in these last few books. He is the best.

Garrett L. likes this.
  2. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

Eye of the World = finished! I adored this reading more than any time I've read it before.

I love how chaotic the ending is where we don't understand what's truly happening because Rand doesn't understand what's happening.

A thought:

We know that the Wheel of Time takes place two Ages ahead of ours on this planet in the 7 Ages of the wheel, and that Tolkien intended everything in his books to be the age before ours, so does that make the Green Man an Ent?

What do we think the Green Man *is*? We know he's never died before this particular time in the pattern.

Brother Beck and scottlechowicz like this.
  3. Garrett

Brother Beck likes this.
  4. Garrett

The Great Hunt has been started and I'm obsessed all over again.

Brother Beck likes this.
  5. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

This information is new to me. I have never made it past book 4 though.

6. Garrett

In one of the books, I forget which, someone sees a Mercedes symbol, haha.

Brother Beck likes this.
  7. Garrett

The Great Hunt moves at such a clip. Why do I remember this book as being so slow?

8. Garrett

It’s crazy the tension of knowing who is Black Ajah on a re-read. The prologue of The Great Hunt is so good.

9. Garrett

AVIENDHA IS FINALLY HERE!

10. Garrett

R H U A R C

11. sawhney[rusted]2

I'll write you into all of my songs Supporter

Garrett it’s almost like you’re talking to yourself in here haha

12. Garrett

literally everyone abandoned this thread when I started my re-read after it had been decently active.

Moiraine just went to figure out what’s wrong in Illian and even though I’ve known since 2003 I’m still sitting over here nearly gasping.

sawhney[rusted]2 likes this.
  13. GBlades

Trusted

I'm doing a read through but I'm taking it slow, feel like there is a LOT to take in. Currently about to start Fires of Heaven.

Garrett likes this.
  14. Garrett

Rand just got to Rhuidean as I parked this morning and my work was LUCKY that I didn't just turn my car around and text in sick.

GBlades likes this.
  15. Garrett

My word. The three chapter run from Mat and Rand entering Rhuidean until Rand finds Mat hanging may be three of the best of any fantasy novel ever.

scottlechowicz likes this.
  16. scottlechowicz

Trusted Supporter

I’m about 2 1/2 hours away from completing my second read through of the entire series.

Started September 13th of last year. Only took me 8 months!

Garrett likes this.
  17. Garrett

After I finish Shadow Rising, I'm taking a brief break to read the Hunger Games prequel and another book a friend wants me to read. Hoping to finish my re-read by the end of summer.

18. scottlechowicz

Trusted Supporter

I think I might read Dune next. Or I might start the Hobbit. I've never actually read any Tolkien.

sawhney[rusted]2 likes this.
  19. Garrett

!!!!!!

20. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

The Hobbit is a quick read.

21. Garrett

Elaida is worse than Umbridge tbh

22. Garrett

Nynaeve realizing she’s stronger than Moghedien the first time is a lowkey highlight of this book.

23. Garrett

Some very spoilers will be hidden thoughts I've been percolating as I read The Fires of Heaven:

1) Egwene, at minimum, and Nynaeve should also probably have been called ta'veren. Especially when you know where Egwene's arc ends. Though, I'd say Nynaeve is no less important. I'd even argue they do more than Perrin for the overall arc of the story.

BIG SPOILERS FOR NEW READERS DO NOT READ THIS SERIOUSLY
    Egwene becoming Amyrlin, sure, but I'm thinking more about how she repairs the entire Pattern during the Last Battle. Nynaeve being intrinsic to healing stilling/gentling AND being the other half of cleansing the Taint with Rand as well.
    2) Every cutaway chapter to the Forsaken or miscellaneous subplots set this series above so many others/impostors AND directly influenced the absolutely wonderful cutaway Interludes of Stormlight.

3) Now that I know who kills Asmodean at the end of this book, I'm appalled at how I missed all the signs telling us who it is.

And, of course, a far too early Top Ten Characters now that I'm 1/3 of the way through the series (this won't be the same as my final list, I'm sure):

1. Nynaeve
    2. Siuan
    3. Loial
    4. Thom
    5. Egwene
    6. Mat
    7. Lan
    8. Gareth
    9. Rhuarc
    10. Moiraine

I forgot how much you don't really like Aviendha in the beginning, and I'm trying to be true to the part of the story I'm in. She ends in my top five. It's a toss up between Min and Moiraine. There are so many good characters.

On the other hand, I like Perrin a lot less this time around. He used to be my favorite of the three. I *really* don't like how Rand treats Moiraine--even now knowing that Jordan was specifically writing his character to be resistant/conspiracy theory driven. He mirrors this exceptionally well playing the Lanfear/Moiraine manipulation plots simultaneously, yet obviously we're rooting for Moiraine. HUGE SPOILER: Which makes the end of Fires of Heaven such a damn gut punch.

24. sawhney[rusted]2

I'll write you into all of my songs Supporter

Started the Eye of the World yesterday!!

25. Garrett