Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Wheel of Time (Robert Jordan) Book • Page 20

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Vivatoto, Mar 30, 2016.

1. GBlades Dec 9, 2019
    (Last edited: Dec 9, 2019)
    GBlades

Trusted

[​IMG]

Thought I'd post the first piece of art I have gotten from the incredibly talented and ever creative Corey Lansdell. Corey has created an absolutely stunning Rand al’Thor art print from the Wheel of Time series. Physically holding this leaves me in awe at Corey’s utter dedication and ambition for bringing these characters to life and I’m so happy to receive this! Such a great depiction of an epic character.

Follow Corey at the websites below if you wish to see more of his work:
    Instagram: Corey Lansdell (@coreylansdell) • Instagram photos and videos
    Facebook:https://www.facebook.com/coreylansdellcreates/

2. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

Finished The Shadow Rising this morning and I'm loving the twists this is taking

3. scottlechowicz

Trusted Supporter

Today is the 30th anniversary of Eye of the World!

Garrett L. likes this.
  4. scottlechowicz

Trusted Supporter

Audible swapped out the covers for the WoT books. I do not like the new ones.

ChaseTx and Garrett L. like this.
  5. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

I want my corny 90s fantasy covers back please and thank you

6. Garrett

The day I start marathon training in June is the day I start my re-read of the series. It's been too long and I am so excited. Debating whether or not if I want to blog reactions or something as I go.

Richter915 and scottlechowicz like this.
  7. theagentcoma

yeah good okay Prestigious

Blog blog blog

8. scottlechowicz

Trusted Supporter

I'm on New Spring in my re-read. Gearing up for the final run of books!

Richter915 and Vivatoto like this.
  9. scottlechowicz Feb 17, 2020
    (Last edited: Feb 18, 2020)
    scottlechowicz

Trusted Supporter

My goodness, Knife of Dreams is just so awesome.

Two of my absolute favorite moments of the whole series: when Mat reads the letter given to Tom. And the only real moment from Nynaeve that I love: “Will he ride alone?”

Garrett L. and Richter915 like this.
  10. GBlades

Trusted

Juniper Books are releasing The Wheel of Time set, the full series with a beautiful dust jacket.

You can either buy the jackets separately or the series as a whole here:

The Wheel of Time Book Set

[​IMG]

11. Garrett

oh my goodness

12. scottlechowicz

Trusted Supporter

Started the Gathering Storm the other day. Even though I still technically have 3 more books left, it feels like the home stretch!

Richter915 likes this.
  13. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

This looks amazing but that price is insane

scottlechowicz likes this.
  14. scottlechowicz

Trusted Supporter

The battle of the white tower in The Gathering Storm is soooo good.

Richter915 likes this.
  15. Garrett

16. Garrett

AF06CD4D-61B3-42DD-84C5-E03D5EB8E3C7.png 1FF37D16-B179-4CA8-983E-906ABD7F7205.png DA26758C-8F20-4AAD-9112-8BFC38A65565.png

I was waiting for my marathon training to start the re-read I’ve been planning. Then the world shattered and everything got canceled. So here I am, showing up for comfort.

coleslawed and scottlechowicz like this.
  17. scottlechowicz

Trusted Supporter

I’m in the last 4 hours of Towers of Midnight on my re-read (or re-listen, I should say). It’s been a heck of a ride.

Garrett L. likes this.
  18. theagentcoma

yeah good okay Prestigious

Garrett L. and scottlechowicz like this.
  19. sawhney[rusted]2

I'll write you into all of my songs Supporter

20. Garrett

5DD52D27-9390-4C2C-B6E2-F2F28BB2BB60.png

HERE WE GOOOOOOOO

21. Garrett

Almost done with New Spring and I can't stop thinking about how some of the plot points would be exceptional "cold opens" for the first EOTW season. This would help flesh out/reduce plot dumping in the actual story, too. Especially on the Aes Sedai structure that's so integral to understanding the world.

Episode 1: Lews Therin Telamon (EOTW introduction)
    Episode 2: Gitara’s Foretelling (introduces Siuan)
    Episode 3: History of Shadar Logoth
    Episode 4: Elaida "Tutors" M+S (introduces Elaida)
    Episode 5: Tam Finding Rand
    Episode 6: M+S Become Aes Sedai (introduces Verrin + Sheriam)
    Episode 7: Tamra Murdered, M runs Away
    Episode 8: M Meets Cadsuane (introduces Cadsuane)
    Episode 9: S Arrives to Reveal Murder Plot of all Dragon Searchers (introduces Black Ajah)
    Episode 10: History of Lan Mandragoran + Bonding

Also, I'm greatly enjoying New Spring more on this read than I ever did on the initial read.

Should I spoiler out any of this? Should I spoiler my reviews as I go forward in the series?

22. Garrett

F3785B9A-F778-4AEA-A325-FDD1C956AA8B.png

I love this damn prologue.

23. scottlechowicz

Trusted Supporter

This smart guy does too!

Garrett L. likes this.
  24. Garrett

Halfway through Eye of the World thoughts:

This is a world-building masterpiece.
    More fantasy authors should study it to see how many little details are thrown in to really enhance the world. Especially with the hindsight of having read the entire series, it makes you wonder how much Jordan originally had in mind (since it was all supposed to be a trilogy, in the beginning). For example:

1) Mat sees the Tower of Ghenjei.
    2) Bayle Domon references the Choedan Kal on Tremalking.
    3) The Tinkers in general, raising all the questions we eventually learn in the best chapter of the series in TSR.

Related: Was Shadar Logoth really just meant to kick off the separation story line that governs how Perrin meets Elyas, Mat has to go to Tar Valon (via the circuitous route of TGH) because of the dagger, and the creation of the merged Padan Fain-Mordeth? Or did Jordan know all along the role Shadar Logoth would play in WH?

Matriarchy Thoughts:
    Nynaeve isn't nearly as annoying with her twitches and sniffing (yet). Part of me wonders if this is because I've had the realization that one of the tensions of Wheel of Time is that it presents a very strong matriarchal society, even when it sometimes appears male dominated. In fact, the main representation of patriarchy in the entire series--the Children of Light--are very much presented as well-meaning, but deeply flawed antagonists. I don't think it's an accident their colors and garb reference back to the KKK in this regard (but I'll note, I don't think the KKK is or has ever been well-meaning).

We see this with the Women's Circle in Emond's Field, obviously the Aes Sedai, but I think this also holds true as I think forward in the series to like the Sea Folk, the Seanchan, etc.

However, I don't know that Jordan pulls it off entirely unbelievable, but I'm willing to lay that at my feet of approaching this over sixteen years later with a lot more knowledge and world understanding at my beck and call. I'm excited to see how this new reading holds for me as I continue forward. I think many years of men finding the women annoying in this series could, in fact, be a critique of the patriarchy and giving us insight into how women view our ticks and verbal habits. Though, I'm willing to say, the fact it's written by a man lessens this critique, but I could see it still being the case.

Rand, Mat, and Perrin
    I didn't realize the first time he channels in the series is when facing the Whitecloaks. I think it strengthens my above point, a bit. I think it's also clear by halfway through the book who the most important of the three is. However, I don't think it really detracts from the story having this knowledge one bit. Testament to how intriguing the wolf-brother plot line is for Perrin and how the questions around Mat remain until later in the series.

Also -- they all read so much younger than I remember in this.

Egwene
    Eventually ending up with my favorite moment in AMoL, I'm surprised that I'm not loving her as much as I did on my first couple of reads of the series. (I've read 1-9 three times, NS now twice, and 10-14 once.) But I understand her so much more, and remember liking her a lot more once her and Elayne become friends.

I'm excited to keep reading. I love this story. I'm so glad I have something comforting to turn to in all this uneasy world we're living in. Any thoughts, fellow readers? @Vivatoto @scottlechowicz @GBlades

25. Garrett

Loial just arrived. All is right with the world.