Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Wheel of Time (Robert Jordan) Book • Page 2

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Vivatoto, Mar 30, 2016.

1. Vivatoto

Royal Court of Princess Donut Prestigious

Need more Perrin and Faile. I like how him and Min meeting with Rand was probably the only happy reunion thus far. Seems like old friends are at each others throats the second they see each other now adays. Makes sense with the Tower pulling them apart of course.

2. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

This is probably the one thing I never thought during the whole series. Faile drove me insane.

fenway89 likes this.
  3. Vivatoto

Yeah, I don't get that all, I've seen it mentioned a few other places, do you have a particular reason why? She's top 5 characters for me.

4. Garrett

Legit annoyed me from the very beginning. I never bought into Perrin actually loving her, and always thought she treated him terribly (especially in the books you're about to get to). Perrin actually went from top 5 to out of my top 10 because his chapters meant her.

5. Vivatoto

Ha, that's interesting, the fact that I totally buy their love is one of the things I like so much about her. I am not a huge fan of romance though, so my views on the subject are a bit skewed. I really like characters that turn away from their nobility for something they believe in. Also super interested in Saldea

6. Garrett

I love how unique he made the nations, and their customs and whatnot. Every single location becomes intriguing for so many different reasons.

What's your opinion of Nynaeve?

7. Vivatoto

Absolutely, I'm really looking forward to when I can read that companion book so I can learn more about the histories of each region. I have a map I printed out originally when I started that I've been taking notes on and it's starting to look ridiculous, haha.

She's great. I loved her just kicking Mat in the ass. I feel like she's really the only person right now that I trust to get things done. If I had to put the fate of the world in anyone's hands it would be her now that Moraine is gone, at least. Also love the whole not being able to channel unless she's angry thing. And I have no idea where Lan is at the moment but I really hope they reunite soon

8. Garrett

I still need to buy that. I have the old one from way back when the series was incomplete. I'd love to see that map if you get a chance!

She's my favorite character, so I'm glad we're not gonna conflict there! And yeah, I was rooting for her and Lan the entire time through where you are not.

Forgot to ask you! Who do you think killed Asmodean? What was your reaction to Moiraine dying?

9. Vivatoto

Well my immediate reaction was that Moraine and Lanfear are both still alive. Now I went from about 90% sure to like 40%. I figured they'd be stuck battling in one of the other worlds, or at a different place in time, or you know, however the wheel weaves. That led me to believe that Lanfear killed Asmodean, hence the surprise. I haven't really thought about it since I decided they were probably dead. The Forsaken have the most to gain so I would guess Graendal or Sammeul.

10. Garrett

Why'd your go from 90% to 40%? The answer to who killed him was finally revealed in book 13, though like you I thought it was Lanfear at first. You're baiting me again for information and I'm not sure if you want it. But let's just say book 13 is pretty important for this discussion as a whole.

fenway89 likes this.
  11. Vivatoto

Thanks for not taking the bait! just thinking out loud, ha. I feel like either resurrection or the multiple worlds would be mentioned somewhere in the book if that was a thing. A bit of foreshadowing or laying of clues if you will. Since this is long form storytelling that doesn't really matter and she could show up in book 13 for all I know, but as of right now it seems both the Forsaken and the Aes Sedai have moved on without those characters. The more I think about it the more it makes sense for Moraine to die, even though I think she still had a lot of secrets I'd like to understand. Lanfear's death is still puzzling though because her love with Lews is incredibly interesting and I feel like they just scratched the surface with that. Would be a weird place to end it.
    Book 13? Holy shit, I was hoping maybe I'd get an answer by the end of this book. I wasn't even puzzling over it before but now I am, thanks a lot, lol.

12. Garrett

The "are Moiraine and Lanfear still alive?" debates literally went on for decades, haha. I love watching you think through all of this.
    Yeah. Sanderson said the first thing he did when he got access to the book notes was look up the answers.

13. Vivatoto

That's good to hear, since I missed out on all those discussions I have absolutely no idea what the general consensus is for this stuff. It would be nice to find some old conversations on the internet but then I have to worry about spoilers. That's the really nice thing is I don't have to wait decades for answers. I'll have book 13 done by the end of the year so it's not too terrible.

Haha, that's awesome.

14. Garrett

Yeah, I've been curious as to how you're avoiding spoilers and whatnot, especially with it being finished. I'm sure if you put your mind to it, you could have all the books done by mid-June considering how much you read. If you haven't marked it to read, the prequel (three were planned, his sickness meant the other two never saw the light) deals with Moiraine and Siuan as young Aes Sedai. Really enjoyed it.

15. Vivatoto

Just doing my best to keep my head down. I use Dragonmount for extra map information but it's pretty easy to avoid spoilers there. The worst part is I want to know why everyone hates the middle of the series but I know it would be a bad idea to read reviews. Yeah, if I put my mind to it and didn't read anything else I'm sure I'd blow through it...Only takes me about a week to read each one. I'm also getting pretty heavy into comics this year and my stack is growing so I need to throw some of those in. I haven't read a horror book in forever which is weird for me, ha. Also there's nothing wrong with a little controlled suspense!

I was wondering what that prequel was about. That sounds great, I know they have a long history it would be really cool to see some of that play out. They have an interesting relationship to say the least. Is there any particular time I should or shouldn't read it? I know it's a prequel but prequels can totally have spoilers.

16. Garrett

I read The Shadow Rising in one sitting one of my read throughs. To this day I don't know how I did it. I like the middle of the series more than most. Only book that is difficult for me is Crossroads of Twilight (10). I'm trying to mix up my reading, but I just keep coming back to fantasy right now. I haven't read enough horror.

I just re-checked the summary, and it shouldn't spoil anything you don't already know.

fenway89 likes this.
  17. Vivatoto

Haha, Oh man that's insane. The suggested reading time for book 6 (which I think is like 300ish more pages) was like 20 hours or something on my kindle. The only way I could do that is if I was working a 20 hours shift, I remember working a 15 once and reading like 4 books, haha.

Cool, I think I'm going to either put the prequel in to split up the non as well received books, or if I'm liking those I'll read it before I start Sanderson's run. Fuck I'm excited for Sanderson writing in this world.

Well if you ever need horror recs you know where to find me. Adam Nevill is changing the game. All of his books are brilliant and dig deep into occult lore so it's not a far step from fantasy.

18. Garrett

I always thought Shadow Rising was the longest by word count, but I may be wrong. I do remember just sitting in bed all day reading.

May I recommend reading it after 9? I think 7-9 kinda operate as a trilogy in a lot of ways (my opinion more than anything) and wouldn't suggest splitting them up. I took a break from Sanderson to read Rothfuss, but I'm going back to Mistborn soon. I think Sanderson's first WoT book is clunky (he can't write a certain main POV AT ALL in that one), but he finds a great groove for the final two. (The more I read Sanderson, the more I understand why I have an issue with how he wrote something in the finale. I'll explain eventually, haha.)

19. Vivatoto

Oh shit, you're right, my bad. It's the first 3 books that start off short (comparatively) and I got that confused. That's insane. You're insane, haha.

That sounds like a good plan. That's what I intended on doing anyway since you said 10 was the one you didn't love. It will be interesting to see how I feel about Sanderson's parts since I adore pretty much everything about his style. Looking forward to talking about it at the end of the year.

Which Mistborn book are you on again?

Also I'm about to finish book 6... Rand got goddamn up and snatched...Should have seen that coming but I had my eyes on Salidar's envoy instead of Elaida's, which was stupid of me, and genius of Jordan to pull the focus away like that because it's obvious Elaida has suspect plants but you kind of forget about her with all the Salidar politics

20. Vivatoto

One of the reasons Nynaeve is so amazing "Of course he is alive," Nynaeve said firmly. "I won't allow anything else. I mean to make him mine. He is mine, and I won't let him be dead."

21. Garrett

Yeah, high school me was a reading machine.

I've finished the first one (in 2012), but probably should revisit it before going to the second.

Oh shit, I know what's coming next for you. :hearteyes:

I love her so much.

22. Vivatoto

Oh shit. TV SERIES HAPPENING. Editor/Robert's widow said the legal issues were resolved and a major studio announcement is forthcoming

fenway89 and Garrett L. like this.
  23. Garrett

:scream::scream::scream::scream::scream::scream::scream:

24. Garrett

Vivatoto likes this.
  25. Vivatoto

I'll be getting back to the series after End of Watch. I've had like a month of new releases and didn't want to slow those down at all.

Garrett L. likes this.