Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Wheel of Time (Robert Jordan) Book • Page 19

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Vivatoto, Mar 30, 2016.

1. GBlades

Trusted

I'd have to say that those books you found a chore are common among the community. They definitely pick up after Knife of Dreams but Brandon Sanderson's The Gathering Storm, Towers of Midnight and A Memory of Light are absolutely outstanding. AMoL is definitely a high ranker for me and holds the most previous moments on the entire series. Makes the tv series more hopefully since Sanderson is serving as a consultant.

2. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

You made it much further than I ever have. I believe the furthest I have ever gotten is partway through Book 5 The Fires of Heaven, but this was when I was much younger and devoted far more time to reading. I may have cracked Book 6, but I don't think so. The last point you made always hits me very hard around that point in the series and I end up putting it down.

I am currently listening to the audiobook of The Great Hunt on my commute sometimes and before bed to wind down, and I feel like at least the first two audiobooks are extremely well done.

3. scottlechowicz

Trusted Supporter

If you go through the book thread, you can see my struggles getting through the middle portion of the books. I quit between 8 and 9, I think.

I ended up coming back and can say without reservation it was worth it. I had my problems overall with more than a few characters. But I’m so glad I stuck with it.

Brother Beck likes this.
  4. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

Honestly, I have contemplated reading plot summaries for a few of the books in the middle of the series and then reading the last several actual books. Many people have told me that the final books are fantastic.

5. theagentcoma

yeah good okay Prestigious

I gave up on book 4 I think

6. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

I've been reading book three for a few months now. Not that I'm not enjoying it, it's just that I don't have enough time

7. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

Book nine’s finale is the best climax of the series.

Vivatoto likes this.
  8. scottlechowicz

Trusted Supporter

I’ve been resisting it for a while, but last night I caved and started Eye of the World. So it looks like I’m beginning my first re-read of the series.

I made it through the prologue and the first chapter and that shit just floored me all over again.

I know there will be a lot of things that annoy or grate on me during the re-read. But I will always stand in awe of how effortlessly Jordan tells this story.

I have no idea how he did it.

Garrett L. likes this.
  9. scottlechowicz

Trusted Supporter

“The old blood sings.”

Ahhh this book is so damn good.

Garrett L. and coleslawed like this.
  10. GBlades

Trusted

I'm currently doing a read-through also and the environment and atmosphere the first 10 chapters Jordan emphasises is top-notch story-telling.

Garrett L. and scottlechowicz like this.
  11. scottlechowicz

Trusted Supporter

Finished Eye of the World. This book truly soared on a re-read. So much is there. So much that I missed / forgot on the first read because I didn't know that it signified something greater.

On to the Great Hunt!

Garrett L. and GBlades like this.
  12. GBlades

Trusted

Literally finished my reread of Chapter 40 of EotW and its crazy how much I missed!

scottlechowicz likes this.
  13. scottlechowicz

Trusted Supporter

Just finishing the Great Hunt. It’s. So. Good.

Damn, this re-read is just too much fun.

Vivatoto likes this.
  14. scottlechowicz

Trusted Supporter

Onto The Dragon Reborn!

I fucking love the wolves. The true MVPs.

15. sawhney[rusted]2

I'll write you into all of my songs Supporter

I am so stupid. This entire time I thought this was Magic Treehouse series for some reason.

I need to read the Wheel of Time lmao

16. scottlechowicz

Trusted Supporter

Oh yeah. I’ve come to that point on my re-read: Rand has finally arrived at Rhuidean.

By far one of the best moments in the series.

Vivatoto and Garrett L. like this.
  17. scottlechowicz

Trusted Supporter

Goodness. I forgot how much of a gut punch it is when Perrin returns home and learns of his family.

Vivatoto likes this.
  18. scottlechowicz

Trusted Supporter

Still working my way through. On Fires of Heaven at the moment.

And yes, I still absolutely loathe Nynaeve. The absolute worst character for me, full stop.

At least now I get more Siuan, who is awesome.

19. ChaseTx

Finished The Dragon Reborn a few days ago. I think for the next one I'm gonna go audiobook

20. scottlechowicz

Trusted Supporter

I did the whole series on audiobook at 1.25x speed.

I can definitely recommend it.

ChaseTx likes this.
  21. ChaseTx

I'll be checking it out from the library and hoping none of the discs are scratched
    :worried:

22. GBlades

Trusted

ChaseTx and scottlechowicz like this.
  23. ChaseTx

I'm in the middle of The Shadow Rising. Still enjoying it but damn the gender dynamics/relationship stuff are annoying

24. scottlechowicz

Trusted Supporter

My first read through, I said much the same. It’s my biggest criticism of the series.

edit: here was my post from earlier:

ChaseTx likes this.
  25. GBlades

Trusted

I have just finished The Dragon Reborn and it has been my favourite so far. I think Jordan really excelled here by leaving Rand out. I enjoyed having Mat back after his dagger issue and the dynamic between Egwene, Nynaeve and Elayne was handled well. Moiraine really ticked me off with how panicked(?) she was and seemed to not handle the pressure, taking it out on Lan and Perrin. I liked the (re)introduction of Thom and Faile. The Forsaken still kinda confuse me though about who is who but I suppose that would get easier. I liked the way that Jordan branched out his character paths which allowed him to show more of his world and build from there.

Gonna take a break from WoT though. I read the full Cosmere then started this and just want to read standalone/shorter series. I'm moving onto Legend of Condor Heroes because it has 2 English translations so far.

ChaseTx likes this.