Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Wheel of Time (Robert Jordan) Book

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Vivatoto, Mar 30, 2016.

1. Vivatoto

Royal Court of Princess Donut Prestigious

One of the most acclaimed fantasy series of all time. Inspired greatly by Tolkien, Jordan takes us on an unforgettable journey as we slowly learn the art of magic and watch as a young farmboy grows into a prophesied savior. Jordan's life was sadly cut short by cancer before he could finish the beloved series. Another incredibly talented writer named Brandon Sanderson finished the final 3 books based on Jordan's notes. Long time and new fans welcome, so please do your best to spoil tag late story revelations.

[​IMG]

Garrett L. likes this.
  2. Vivatoto

My next one is book 6. Seems to be only getting better, Fires of Heaven was my favorite. The Great Hunt still holds a special place though.

Garrett L. likes this.
  3. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

This is the first fantasy series I read after Lord of the Rings changed my life forever. I've read books 1-9 three times, 10-14 once. These characters are like family, and the 14th book actually made me cry a couple times. Amazing series, I'll spoil anything that I deem major so that I don't ruin the experience for anything who comes across this series/thread.

4. Richter915

Trusted Prestigious

Read 1 and 2. Taking a break now, going to read Dune.

what would you guys say to a (possibly stickied?) sci-fi and fantasy thread?

5. Richter915

Trusted Prestigious

anything in particular about the great hunt? I wasn't the biggest fan...

6. Vivatoto

The moment that really sticks with me is the climax at Falme. Rand and Ba'alzamon fighting in the sky is imagery I am never going to get out of my mind. That's also the one with the traveling stones or whatever too right? I loved all of that.

7. Vivatoto

That's a great idea

8. Richter915

Trusted Prestigious

Ya the scenes with the traveling stones were wild. Rand seeing all his possible life outcomes was written very well.

I'll give the great hunt that...a lot of scenes had great imagery that sticks with you.

fenway89 likes this.
  9. Night Channels

Trusted

We need a new Stephen King thread, old friend.

10. Vivatoto

Planned on making one when I'm off mobile if noone beats me to it! Surprised Ryan hasn't made one by now

11. Garrett

I know for the stickied threads, the goal is less of them because of how well the search function works. That being said, I'm all for that place of discussion.

12. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

Just bought books 2 & 3... Although I don't remember the first one and also I read like 20 pages a week and am still halfway through Fellowship of the Ring

Richter915, Garrett L. and Vivatoto like this.
  13. Connor

we're all a bunch of weirdos on a quest to belong Prestigious

I have tried getting through this series and always get lost around book 7. I love it though so recently I got the audio books and have been burning through them. Currently on book 9. I don't think I can pick a favorite yet. Notable moments for me: whenever anybody goes through one of the doorways. That stuff is interesting as hell, I also love the Ruidihan stuff and the history of Aiel. Also can't wait to see where Matts story goes. Only characters I don't really love are Perrin and his wife.

14. Richter915

Trusted Prestigious

Haha way too much fantasy on your plate.

I really liked the first one, more so than the second. My only beef was the seemingly rushed ending. Once I finish Dune it's back to WoT.

15. Garrett

"way too much fantasy"... no such thing!

16. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

Dune is another book I read years ago and will have to look up a Sunday before I continue the series

fenway89 likes this.
  17. TSLROCKS

Trusted Supporter

I've always wanted to read these but 14 books seems like such a commitment that I never bring myself to pick it up

I hear amazing things about it though

18. Garrett

I started reading them when there were only eight. Getting the new one on release day was a big thing for me for about a decade.

Richter915 likes this.
  19. Vivatoto

Feeling the pull of book 6...Think I'll read a couple more comics that piled up while I was reading Kingkiller then jump back in.

Garrett L. and Richter915 like this.
  20. Vivatoto

I like all how the prologues work now, like 100 pages where Jordan stuffs in what everybody is doing yet still has the surprising punch from the earlier prologues. Specifically Shayol Ghul and the Dark One speaking. My future posts will be about book 6 until I say otherwise. I'll spoil tag the big stuff.

Garrett L. likes this.
  21. Vivatoto

The return to Shadar Logath was so good. My favorite moments of book 6 are the Forsaken conversations so far. They all have their own plans and I have no idea what any of them are.

Garrett L. likes this.
  22. Garrett

I love the Forsaken, as weird as that sounds. Watching them emerge is so great.

fenway89 and Vivatoto like this.
  23. Vivatoto

Such a great bundle of villains. A good villain is huge for me so having 13 (at this point it's way less obviously) great ones is a major plus. I was confused for a long time as to how Ba'alzamon was related (I thought he was the Dark One), the Ishmael thing kind of threw me for a loop, the companion book helped set that straight.

24. Garrett

Yeah. Once the reincarnation stuff for them by the Dark One comes to light, it finally makes sense for them. I just love their diversity.

Vivatoto likes this.
  25. Vivatoto

Very much into Egwene's storyline, Her raising ceremony with the sitters was tremendous and I just love all these Aes Sedai calling her mother. She's so awesome. Surprised how quickly that happened, within like 20 pages the idea was brought up and she was raised.

Garrett L. likes this.