Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Weeknd - Starboy (November 25, 2016) Album • Page 6

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by beachdude, Sep 21, 2016.

1. Letterbomb31 Sep 25, 2016
    (Last edited: Sep 25, 2016)
    Letterbomb31

Trusted Prestigious

Lyrically it's weaker than trilogy, but everything else I love about his mixtapes is still there (the vocals, the moody instrumentals, etc). I remember not liking the album very much upon release but it's grown on me considerably over the last few years. "Belong to the World", "Adaptation" and "The Town" are some of his best songs to date. "Live For" is his worst song and a complete misfire, but other than that it's a great record.

In regards to my ranking of his albums, aside from EoS at #1 and HoB at #2, the rest are interchangeable for me. I enjoy them pretty much equally and there's no obvious weak spot in his discography imo.

beachdude42 likes this.
  2. enlliac

The Real Azor Ahai

Personaly, it's Thursday > HoB > BBTM > EOS > Kiss Land but I still love all of them. I recognize too that HoB is better, but I just enjoy listening to all of Thursday more

3. enlliac

The Real Azor Ahai

My favorite was when he was reacting to Juke Jam on Coloring Book and he was grinding with his chair

4. dallasc

Trusted

Adaptation and love in the sky are pretty great,
    Also the second half of The title track is fantastic. Bbtm definitely made me appreciate KL a lot more.

5. imthegrimace

the poster formally known as thesheriff Supporter

Kissland is bad

6. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

kiss land is lyrically awful and musically extremely drab and lifeless. bbtm fixed the latter, at least

7. Letterbomb31

Trusted Prestigious

beachdude42, enlliac and Contender like this.
  8. enlliac

The Real Azor Ahai

Really curious to see the direction of the music video

9. enlliac

The Real Azor Ahai

Video isn't even nominated yet and it's already nominated for a MTV EMA

10. Ben

Trusted Prestigious

gonna be so hard not to overplay starboy over the next two months. i want to listen to it all the time.

beachdude42 and Letterbomb31 like this.
  11. Ben

Trusted Prestigious

12. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

Interesting video I guess

13. Matt Chylak

I can always be better, so I'll always try. Supporter

Song’s growing on me, and the Drive X Michael Jackson vibe works well. Lots of easter eggs about his career too.

The main thing I hope is that this pop success won't make him afraid to make weirder production choices in the future on songs that aren't singles. Songs like "Initiation" are really cool (d)evolutions of his aesthetic, but everything on the last two albums was too sanitized, even if there were good songs from time to time.

dallasc likes this.
  14. dallasc

Trusted

Cool continuation of the videos from the BBTM cycle.
    Killing off the version of himself that made a deal with the devil in those videos and smashing up all the related awards with the big ole cross, a little on the nose but I like how he makes these obvious transitions from album cycle to album cycle.

15. Bane

The spiciest meme

That's a fun video, I like him just dancing around while destroying shit. Wish there were more references to his original trilogy instead of basically all of it being BBTM but since that was the last era of him it makes sense.

16. Awksome

Regular

Damn, love the new song.

17. enlliac

The Real Azor Ahai

18. Bane

The spiciest meme

God damn man

19. Ben

Trusted Prestigious

he posted that around midnight, so i wonder if tomorrow actually means today, or if he meant friday.

Letterbomb31 likes this.
  20. enlliac

The Real Azor Ahai

False Alarm is out... and it's something...

21. Ben

Trusted Prestigious

beachdude42 likes this.
  22. Ben

Trusted Prestigious

oh wow, this is different and i love it

beachdude42 likes this.
  23. enlliac

The Real Azor Ahai

It's definitely growing on me the more I listen to it

24. Letterbomb31

Trusted Prestigious