Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Weeknd Performs on Fallon

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Nov 25, 2016.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

2. ConArdist

Subgenres Should Die

Just don't understand the popularity of The Weeknd.

3. ComedownMachine

Prestigious Supporter

I can understand not liking him but I don't get how you wouldn't understand it.

Eric, Jason Tate and ConArdist like this.
  4. ConArdist

Subgenres Should Die

Just surprised he's entered the mainstream w/ his brand of complex, dense music.

5. Ska Senanake

Trusted

The Weeknd is fantastic

palebluedot likes this.
  6. chcougar1

Trusted

It's catchy though, and can easily be played in clubs. How is it hard to understand the popularity?

7. ZenoOfCitium

There's something to this point but that something also explains how awesome and versatile he is - hence: popular. After listening to the new album 5 or 6 times so far I can say that it's actually, as you put it, complex and dense while simultaneously being hooky, catchy, and 2016 to a t. Abel can write music that appeals to almost every type of music listener. It's deceptively complex and dense therefore one can not understand it all or hear the complexity and still move their hips to "False Alarm," or "I Feel It Coming," for example. For fans who want complexity, it's also hear in spades with gems such as "Secrets," Sidewalks," and "Die For You." "Reminder," is a track that is probably as complex as a major pop-single could get. This song is the one song I would play to younger people to show them the combination of something that can appeal to the casual and the serious music fan. Killer artist.

8. Eric

Regular

I haven't listened to anything he's released since the trilogy but you have me interested. I'll definitely check out the new album

9. austingordon

your local curmudgeon

Yeah, I totally feel like Starboy is far more in line with Trilogy than BBTM. BBTM was super commercial, and had that glitzyness that made it feel like a true pop record. Starboy feels more like a return to his cloud r'n'b style that he started with, with the exception of the production from Daft Punk (which I feel was a good move, tbh)

10. CyberInferno

Line below my username Supporter

That's a danged good performance. I do miss the bird on his head though.