Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Weakerthans Band • Page 13

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by troyplaysbass, Mar 6, 2016.

1. MannyDiller

"Left & Leaving" probably has my favorite lyrics front-to-back in any song. Every line is just so good and full of such great imagery.

I've also always been particularly impressed by the alliteration to start "Civil Twilight": "My Confusion Corner commuters are cursing the cold away."

And the curling imagery describing the narrator's life sliding by in "Tournament of Hearts" is another favorite.

Plus so many good one-liners like "Rely a bit too heavily on alcohol and irony."

2. leerkat

relentlessly nosy bastard

he has a knack for putting words on feelings I didn't think were possible to describe.

Sometimes they're so stupidly simple like the ones from Fire Door about the enormous sky or "and darkness comes too early you won't find/the many things you owe these latest dead". They're just perfect, pinpoint, evocative descriptions of the kind of place/feeling they're talking about.
    Sometimes they're such vivid images with such studied meaning like "my city's still breathing but barely it's true/through buildings gone missing like teeth". Like these are 14 words and they say as much as probably two paragraphs could. perfect multifaceted scene setting.
    He can also do this thing where he leads you through the sentence, keeping your attention on each and every word, and it unravels into the next lyrics quasi seamlessly, like in Reconstruction Site or Reunion Tour. I'd compare it to dominos, or maybe a marble going through one of these plastic circuits.

And there's all the really satisfying, shorthand, descriptive turns of phrase like "near the corner of Memorial and me".

3. CoffeeEyes17

Reclusive-aggressive Prestigious

Memory will rust and erode into lists
    Of all that you gave me
    A blanket, some matches, this pain in my chest
    The best parts of lonely
    Duct tape and soldered wires
    New words for old desires
    And every birthday card I threw away

I couldn’t tell you why or how those words can evoke such a strong emotional reaction from me but what I can tell you is during a time where so many of my friends were moving away while I had to stay in the town I was born in due to personal and financial reasons those words brought me some peace of mind. When a bunch of my high school and college friends decided to get together again I played that song for them and it is a night I’ll never forget.

4. ZooZooChaCha

Trusted Supporter

Always tear up at “in for three weeks or in for forever....” part of 17th Street Treatment Centre.

Bryan Diem and Rowan5215 like this.
  5. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

He has a way of just listing off a bunch of random shit and making it sound beautiful

CoffeeEyes17 and leerkat like this.
  6. Rob Hughes

Play the Yakuza series

God I love Reconstruction Site so much

CoffeeEyes17 likes this.
  7. CoffeeEyes17

Reclusive-aggressive Prestigious

L&L, RS, and RT is one of my favorite 3 album stretches

I don’t rly ever listen to Fallow it doesn’t do much for me

8. Leftandleaving

Fallow is their weakest as a whole but still had great songs. Wellington’s Wednesdays is one of their best

Rowan5215 and Bryan Diem like this.
  9. StormAndTheSun

insects come to life Supporter

My personal fav is from Watermark

'Stand still, let me scrub that brackish line that you got when something rose and then receded'

troyplaysbass and Rowan5215 like this.
  10. Rowan5215

An inconsequential shift as the continents drift.

Terrified of telephones and shopping malls and knives
    And drowning in the pools of other lives

Leftandleaving and troyplaysbass like this.
  11. Rowan5215

An inconsequential shift as the continents drift.

so am I just looking too hard here or did Fall Out Boy reference The Weakerthans on "Thriller"

"I found the safest place to keep all of our mistakes" can't be a coincidence right?

Leftandleaving and Bryan Diem like this.
  12. kpatrickwood Aug 11, 2019
    (Last edited: Aug 12, 2019)
    kpatrickwood

Give what you can.

Every few months I dig through the youtube to see if there are any new live JKS songs floating around.

Found one today. It's glorious.

Fantasy Baseball at the End of the World

I manage my fantasy baseball team better
    than I manage my anger these days
    And I'd trade my best pitcher
    for a draft pick and a picture
    of the president writhing in pain

It's a weird thing to wish for
    but i can't stop wishing
    refreshing the browser some days
    If i live long enough
    and the world doesn't end
    my wish will come true in a way

And he'll die like we all die
    in pain or asleep
    and we'll still have our fantasy baseball
    and the next fascist fucker in line for the job demolishing hope for us all

So I'm putting in love now
    Putting in faith
    Putting fear on the long term I.L.

I'm going outside, I'm gonna help organize
    Something better, something beautiful

T.K., Bryan Diem and troyplaysbass like this.
  13. leerkat

relentlessly nosy bastard

"I'm putting fear on the long term IL" I love it

14. That song is just wonderful.

15. Bryan Diem

Trusted

When I asked him about new stuff he said that was basically all he had done

16. kpatrickwood

Give what you can.

John is playing a Chicago headline show! Finally! And some other places! F4F3AFAF-9789-4B18-B469-621C309EE1F2.png

17. Haven’t listened to all of this yet, but Austin Lucas’s cover of “Anchorless” is amazing.

18. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

I know this was brought up before, but I really don't like the "real" version of Everything Must Go compared to the alt version on whatever rip of the album I have, lol. Completely different start to the album. It appears Apple Music has switched over to the real one

19. nohandstoholdonto

problem addict Prestigious

Noooooooo. I didn’t realize Apple Music switched over.

OhTheWater likes this.
  20. Here’s the other version on Apple Music - at the end of this comp if you want to make a playlist. I’m guessing it’s not linked to the band page because it’s tagged as “Weakerthans” with no “The.”

21. Leftandleaving

so good

22. Snoblin

Goblin Person Prestigious

I can't imagine being any of the galaxy brains at Pitchfork who gave Left & Leaving, Reconstruction Site, and Reunion Tour scores of 6.1, 5.6, & 5.9, out of 10, respectively.

This is the last paragraph for the review for Reconstruction Site:

"Throughout it's fourteen tracks, there's no doubting The Weakerthans are smart guys who keep up with literature and politics, but over the course of an entire album the band's ambitious literary posturing drowns in the bland songwriting and lack of captivating hooks. Perhaps best consumed as a single between Built to Spill and Dismemberment Plan on some smarmy Ivy League college radio show, The Weakerthans need less talk and a lot more pop in their formula. With their soundtrack, I'd much rather read the book."

Randall Mentzos likes this.
  23. loudasallgetout

Trusted Supporter

LOL

24. Randall Mentzos

Listen to my EP: terrainofficial .bandcamp.com Prestigious

I hate that review and I just put on Reconstruction Site to spite them. This album is loaded with hooks lol fuck do they mean

Snoblin likes this.