Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Weakerthans Band • Page 11

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by troyplaysbass, Mar 6, 2016.

1. sean_rugy

select all delete Prestigious

questioning everything I've ever known right now

2. mesi

Regular

Here's a short video of my LP playing. Sorry that the volume is pretty low, but the kids are in bed. Definitely no drums at the beginning.

3. Snoblin

Goblin Person Prestigious

[​IMG]
    Everybody in this thread right now

sean_rugy likes this.
  4. Barcara

Regular

This is the only version I'm familiar with. Wild.

5. I tweeted at their drummer to ask if there’s a story behind it. I assume it’s just a demo that was accidentally sent to their distributor as the official track at some point, but I’m really curious.

6. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

This is the one I know

7. Bryan Diem

Trusted

Hearing that version of EMG for the first time and having it hurt like it always has

8. ihaveblink

Regular

heh, yeah I only know the album one. interesting.

9. sean_rugy

select all delete Prestigious

John is on the newest episode of 100 Words or Less podcast

10. loudasallgetout

Trusted Supporter

That’s not the version that’s on the CD I have.

12. Bryan Diem

Trusted

You know how Times Arrow is followed by Hospital Vespers, where John's lines are echoed before he even says that? That is still to this day one of the greatest songwriting techniques I've ever heard. Best band.

13. vidiviciveni

Trusted

The Weakerthans being from Canada was like the one advantage to living in Regina, they rolled through here regularly back in the day, met John K with some friends after one of the shows, he just came into the crowd and chilled with people lol

I had terrible taste in music back in the day so I didn't even like The Weakerthans, they really only clicked with me just before Reunion Tour came out

Reconstruction Site is indeed a masterpiece

troyplaysbass likes this.
  14. loudasallgetout

Trusted Supporter

When he played Ottawa two years ago I remember right as I was walking front the lobby into the concert part of the venue someone was walking out and held the door for me. I knew it was John right away but I still only managed to say “Thanks” as I walked through.

Zac Djamoos likes this.
  15. Rowan5215

An inconsequential shift as the continents drift.

what if I told y'all John K. Samson is the greatest lyricist of all time

16. Rowan5215

An inconsequential shift as the continents drift.

on that note. listening to "My Favourite Chords" and it really might be my favourite song of all time. if it drops out of my top 5 I'll consider myself an entirely different person.

17. Crazy how Left & Leaving gets better the older I get. Think I'm the same age now that John was when he wrote that record.

T.K., Rowan5215 and Leftandleaving like this.
  18. You’d be correct.

Leftandleaving likes this.
  19. loudasallgetout

Trusted Supporter

Stumbled upon a copy of Left and Leaving on vinyl today at the local record store for $35. I thought that thing was long out of print. The prices online are always crazy.

Bryan Diem likes this.
  20. Bryan Diem

Trusted

I have a sealed extra copy....just waiting for a good home

21. vidiviciveni

Trusted

Personally I love hearing the Weakerthan's influence all over The Hotelier

Among The Wildflowers in particular could have been a harder Weakerthans song

Leftandleaving and OhTheWater like this.
  22. CoffeeEyes17

Reclusive-aggressive Prestigious

Of all the bands I discovered thanks to Dan from TWY I think this one is the one I treasure most and now I just want to listen to them for the rest of the week

loudasallgetout likes this.
  23. aspeedomodel

Cautiously pessimistic Prestigious

The copy I had of Reconstruction Site had the title track as the acoustic version and I had no idea. Wasn't until a year or two ago that I realized there was a full band version and the one I knew wasn't the album version.

I prefer the acoustic version by far...

24. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

25. CAC3

Dog

I really only know (and thoroughly enjoy) the song 'One Great City' by the Weakerthans. Where should I begin? Chronological order? Is one album considered their best?