Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Weakerthans Band

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by troyplaysbass, Mar 6, 2016.

1. Post about The Weakerthans, John K. Samson, and related topics here.

2. John has been playing a few new songs at shows recently. Hoping for a new record this year. I listened to Provincial again this morning and it's still fantastic.

T.K. likes this.
  3. h8bit

@ghastlyfeline Prestigious

God i hope we get something new from him this spring.

4. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

The list of things I love as much as Reconstruction Site is a very short one.

troyplaysbass likes this.
  5. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

went to make this thread, was glad that it already existed

6. CoffeeEyes17

Reclusive-aggressive Prestigious

Left and Leaving, Reconstruction Site, and Reunion Tour is one of the best 3 album stretches in rock imo. What a band. They can pull off so many sounds so well, and John K is one of the best lyricists I've ever heard.

7. cwhit

Finally listening to Reunion Tour, Virtute The Cat is fantastic

h8bit likes this.
  8. xapplexpiex

sup? Supporter

I've tried to get into them for a while and it hasn't really clicked yet. Which would you say is their best album?

9. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

same here

10. Kennedy

loomasleep.bandcamp.com Prestigious

i think Reconstruction Site is easily the best place to start.

11. CoffeeEyes17

Reclusive-aggressive Prestigious

RS is best to start but L&L is their best

TheFeels likes this.
  12. TheFeels

Regular

You can't really go wrong with the Weakerthans. John's got a great way of explaining stuff with lyrics that you couldn't put into words yourself.

13. RyanRockwell

Honestly, is there a bad song on a weakerthans record?

14. I've never been able to get into "Without Mythologies." I think it's the only relatively weak spot in their discography.

15. cwhit

I like RS more than L&L, just more mature sounding and cleaner

16. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

I've given that album lots of tries and do not like it

17. RyanRockwell

I think time frame wise they are a band that just released stuff for the right time for me and the age I was. When Fallow came out i loved it, then L&L came out and I thought it was perfect, same with RS. Reunion Show didn't blow my mind, but it's super good and I think still a strong addition.

18. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

imo left and leaving is the best place to start, i think its a much more accessible album w/o the alt country ish influence and i also think its more indicative of their sound in general

T.K. and CoffeeEyes17 like this.
  19. Laura

Bozo did the dub Prestigious

I need to give Reunion Show another chance. I loved both L&L and Reconstruction Site so much when they came out that I was disappointed by it at the time. I'm sure I'd like it a lot more after all these years.

20. RyanRockwell

Yeah I think essentially up until Reunion Show every album really kind of changed and did something new that was really captivating. Reunion Show didn't really do that so at first I think we all felt unimpressed by it. Looking back now though it really is a great record full of good songs in my opinion, it just feels like a great follow up to RS instead of a groundbreaking record, and now i'm fine with that!

21. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

i prefer rt to rs at this point. the bookends especially are two of their best tracks imo

22. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

I'll give this one a listen then

23. jorbjorb

7 rings

one of the best bands

24. TheFeels

Regular

Haha is this the new PPMB?

25. ZooZooChaCha

Trusted Supporter

The Virtue the Cat sequel on RT just wrecks me every time.