Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Volunteerism Thread

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by kpatrickwood, Apr 9, 2016.

1. kpatrickwood Apr 9, 2016
    (Last edited: Jul 20, 2016)
    kpatrickwood

Give what you can.

What are you involved with? What would you like to become involved with?

I don't mean for this to be a "Look at how generous I am! Pat me on the back!!!" thread. That said, I would like to do a lot more than I have, and I'm fucking intimidated by how much need there is in the world, and I'm often unsure about how to go about giving what I can. I don't think I'm alone in that. Let this thread be a spot to seek support for and give support to whatever you're passionate about. This site and is fresh and new and as positive as anything I've ever seen in the digital world. Let's run with that.

I also want stories. I'm sure a lot of you have already accomplished a lot, and I want to hear about the triumph and the heartbreak and everything in between. Inspire us.

For starters:

The Muscular Dystrophy Association: This is a big one you've probably heard of. They do the telethon every Labor Day that Jerry Lewis made famous. I think it's pretty common knowledge that they are searching for new cures and treatments to the plethora of diseases that destroy the muscles of people (usually kids), but there's a lot more to it than that. This is the organization that often provides wheelchairs, education, career help, Summer camp, and lots more to people with all kinds of conditions. I was a volunteer at one of said Summer camps for many years and it was a completely transformative experience. If you're in a position to take a week during the Summer to volunteer at one of these, I can't recommend it enough. If you have any questions about how to find an opportunity at a camp near you or what to expect, please message me and I'll be more than happy help.

Unbound: You've seen those commercials with some old dude dressed like Indiana Jones walking around showing you hungry kids asking and for 87 cents a day or whatever right? This is that concept done right. You can sponsor a kid from just about anywhere in the world. But, instead of a vague sense of accomplishment, you get specifics. You can interact with whomever you decide to sponsor, and know the fine details about where every cent goes and the progress it makes. Further, they set up trips that allow you to actually go and visit the person you're helping to see personally see the impact made. I went on one of these trips to Guatemala a couple of years ago with a few family members and can fully vouch for the selflessness and genuine compassion of everyone involved in the program. A little bit of help absolutely does go a long way. Again, if you have q's about specifics, get ahold.

3elove: This is not a charity but I want to talk about it anyway. This is a company/movement my friend Annie started with her brother Stevie in 2007 to promote general disability awareness and acceptance. She designed a logo that she wanted to become an international symbol of acceptance, and it absolutely has. Sadly, we lost Annie in 2009. But, her brother has since made it his mission to make their brand a movement, and he is succeeding beyond anyone's wildest expectations. Read a little bit about it and/or snag some gear here.

"Embrace diversity. Educate your community. Empower each other. Love life."

- 3E Love Founder, Annie Hopkins (1984-2009)