Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Vaporwave Thread

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Aaron Mook, Oct 28, 2016.

1. From Wikipedia:

"Vaporwave is an electronic genre that emerged in the early 2010s, and spread over the next half of the decade among various Internet communities. It is characterized by a nostalgic or surrealist fascination with retrocultural aesthetics (most commonly that of the 1980s and 1990s), entertainment technology, consumer culture and advertising and many styles of corporate and popular music, such as lounge, smooth jazz and elevator music. Sampling is prevalent within the genre, with samples often pitched, layered or altered, sometimes in a classic chopped and screwed style. Artists often embrace classical sculpture, 1990s web design, low poly computer renderings, glitch art, VHS, Cassette Tape, East Asian Artwork, and cyberpunk.

Many commentators and producers within the genre have considered that central to the genre is a satirical but not necessarily critical preoccupation with consumer capitalism, popular culture and new-age tropes. The visual style of vaporwave as seen on album covers and videos accompanied by music is commonly referred to as AESTHETICS."

Post your faves and discuss below.

2. Inna Selez

Regular

Never heard about this genre before. Interesting info, TY.

angrycandy and Aaron Mook like this.
  3. Elder Lightning

A lightning bolt without a cloud in the sky Supporter

I read it as VaporWARE and thought this was where we'd come to talk about albums that have supposedly been coming but with no evidence that they actually exist.

4. Joel

Trusted Prestigious

Floral Shoppe is the best

Lots of cool stuff on Beer on the Rug

amorningofsleep likes this.
  5. Inna Selez

Regular

Joel and Aaron Mook like this.
  6. amorningofsleep

No-rope barbed wire Jones

The kids at work make me want to hate this, but it fucking draws me in, man.

7. Fronnyfron

Woke Up Right Handed Prestigious

Love this stuff

8. Vapor Memory

This channel is awesome and streams "Late NIght Vapor" Monday through Wednesday from 6pm until 3am EST.

9. Inna Selez

Regular

Thanks for the link!

10. Great day for this one. Unrelated note, gonna try to keep up with more 2017 releases this year.

11. Fronnyfron

Woke Up Right Handed Prestigious

How do you feel about the Saint Pepsi to Skylar Spence transition? Been a while since I revisited Prom King

12. SmashRipsaw Mar 30, 2017
    (Last edited: Mar 30, 2017)
    SmashRipsaw

Outcast Tape Infirmary

Pardon my ignorance, but is this really a new genre? It sounds like the stuff they've been playing at "cool" stores at the mall for the past 20 years. Maybe I'm just old. That said, for some reason I can't stop listening to this.

13. FLORAL SHOPPE, by MACINTOSH PLUS

Pre-order for a limited edition pink Floral Shoppe LP featuring a bonus poster with original artwork is up for $20. This record is the face of vaporwave and it's a hard find so I'd highly recommend picking one up before they're sold out

14. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

Aaron Mook likes this.