Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Used Band • Page 4

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by bradsonemanband, Mar 31, 2016.

1. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

Artwork has some solid stuff on it

2. Davjs

Trusted

Absolutely. Sold My Soul and Meant to Die are also up there in top Used songs for me. People who just comment saying "Artwork is garbage" honestly dismissed the album before listening to it. I could understand it not being their best for some people, but saying its just terrible as a whole is ridiculous.

3. DrawYourMind

Regular Prestigious

Nah, man. I was actually looking forward to it when it came out. I sincerely didn't like it and still don't.

No offense, I'm not the biggest Used fan either. It happens. Just not my cup of tea :). I'm glad you like it, though!

4. Davjs

Trusted

Maybe I was the opposite because after Lies I wasn't looking forward to it but I have a bad habit of supporting bands even after they burn me and it surprised me a ton.

That being said I find it completely hard to believe you don't even like a few songs on it. This isn't Imaginary Enemies we are talking about here :-)

EDIT: I'm not a huge Used fan either, I wouldn't say they even crack my top 20 bands. I just think they have some awesome songs and ILAD was a staple for the highschool years.

5. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

Artwork was a huuuuge disappointment to me when it came out but I can enjoy it now even if I don't love it. It's a lot better than what they've been putting out recently.

6. DrawYourMind

Regular Prestigious

I enjoy their first two releases a good amount.

I tried artwork a few times and really, I don't remember a single thing from that album. I'm sure there is SOME song on it I would enjoy but I really don't care to try and find it lol.

and yes, imaginary enemies is bad. It makes me hate the Circa song haha.

fenway89 likes this.
  7. Davjs

Trusted

That made me laugh!
    If Sold My Soul ever comes across in a mix or whatever, don't skip it and give it another listen! You may be surprised.

8. Jams

Trusted

I think I might be the only one who liked Imaginary Enemy! It has some duds on it for sure (Make Believe, Generation Throwaway, and El-Oh-Vee-Ee being my least faves) but I genuinely like and listen to the rest pretty regularly. Evolution and Force Without Violence being my faves for sure. I think Cry made a great single, too.

9. DrawYourMind

Regular Prestigious

I'll turn it on now. I'm bored at work.

Davjs likes this.
  10. Davjs

Trusted

Me too, that's why I am responding so quick lol

I agree Cry was a good choice for a single, catchy.

Jams likes this.
  11. DrawYourMind

Regular Prestigious

Sold my soul wasn't terrible at all. Didn't hate it. going to their show with my friend in august. the S/T one but we might do both days.

I like both those albums--but I just hate Burt. I don't want to give him my money ahah.

12. Davjs

Trusted

That podcast ep painted him in such a bad light. I'm sure there is his side to the story, but still :tear:
    I wouldn't do it just because they are kind of copping out with not combining both nights or only having a one song encore. Remember when Anberlin played Cities front to back and then did NTFP front to back for the encore just for the hell of it? Or when Greenday played a full set and then randomly did 20th Century from front to back just because?

fenway89 likes this.
  13. Jams

Trusted

That is one thing that has always irritated me about The Used, they always play short sets. On a normal headliner they basically play the same songs every time (with like 1 or 2 songs off whatever new album they are promoting). It kills me. I don't want to sound like an entitled fan or anything, but I've seen them 10 times live and don't think they ever played more than an hour and 15 mins. But I'm the idiot that keeps going to the shows knowing this so there's that lol I remember Quinn saying in an interview he wanted to play longer sets (at least 2 hours). They shoulda listened to him!

14. DrawYourMind

Regular Prestigious

Prob cuz burt's throat would bleed if he tried to sing longer :).

Good point on the two sets though. Underoath did Chasing Safety and Define the great line.

fenway89 and Davjs like this.
  15. Davjs

Trusted

Agreed! I don't think it makes you sound entitled. Fans like you are the ones keeping the band going honestly, it doesn't hurt to cater to them a little bit.

Jams likes this.
  16. Davjs

Trusted

haha he barely sings now. They still put on a good show but he lets the audience and Jeph do a ton of the work now lol

17. DrawYourMind

Regular Prestigious

haha

Should be a fun show, though. That S/T is pretty good.

18. DrawYourMind

Regular Prestigious

Yeah, solid shit!

I'm just playing.

19. Davjs

Trusted

It is! I got into them with ILAD and then backtracked, so I never got to see anything but the basics played from it (Taste of Ink, Box, Blue and Yellow)

20. Jack Wilmott

Self-described freestyle wizard poet.

Interesting to look at Artwork now.

I remember really diggin the used on the first 3 records.

At the time I really liked Lies. I was also really into albums that incorporated elements of other styles (like Fever you can't sweat out, Pompeii by Gatsbys American Dream etc).

I was hugely anticipating artwork and when it dropped I didn't get along with it. I felt like it was a step back from the mild experimentation on Lies. But it really grew on me. I probably rank it 3rd most after The first two records.

Davjs likes this.
  21. Davjs

Trusted

I agree with the Ranking, but I came to it different. I was disappointed by Lies. I felt like it was a attempt to re create ILAD (Ripper like Take It Away, Lair like I'm A Fake) and I was turned off by it minus some tracks like Hospital, Paralyzed and Bird and the Worm. When I heard how heavy Blood on my Hand was as the opener of Artwork, I knew I was in for a treat.

22. canvasofwinter

Horrendous Space Kablooie

Empty With You and Sold My Soul, for me. I don't like Artwork that much as a whole, but those songs are top 5 The Used songs for me.

23. chewbacca110

He wrenches on it. He thinks it's his.

Wooooof. That podcast was fascinating and sad.

fenway89 likes this.
  24. Is Bert sober now? Sounds like he was a bit of a trainwreck during the first couple of albums.

fenway89 likes this.
  25. Jams

Trusted

Yeah he is. He mentioned being sober when I saw them this year and said he has been for a few years now.