Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Used - The Canyon (October 27, 2017) Album • Page 5

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by irthesteve, Sep 6, 2017.

1. sukottokairu

Regular

i'm surprised by how catchy this song ended up being and how i can't get it out of my head!

TUG likes this.
  2. clockwise

GREEN DUDES BEST GREEN DAY PODCAST Prestigious

Song is getting better and better for me.

TUG likes this.
  3. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

Still like the new song. Reminds me of The Police, but it also reminds me of Bullets in the Wind by Angels and Airwaves. Has the same groove to it.

beachdude42 and Daniel182 like this.
  4. withchappedlips

#nothingiseasy

Really like the song, but like... the Used... writing a 79 minute album? I feel like they have struggled to fill even a 12 song record with quality songs at a normal song length in recent times. Weird. Either way, it's a really solid song and it doesn't sound like the Used trying to mimic themselves as much as some of their other stuff has sounded.

5. JamesMichael

Software Engineer Prestigious

My thoughts exactly.

6. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

I understand the concern with quality music in a 79 minute album from The Used, but Quinn is no longer in The Used. Now that Justin is in, my concern is less. The guy is an amazing guitarist and songwriter. Not taking anything away from Quinn bc he is a great writer too (he was also one of my favorite guitarists back in the day), but having Justin in his place will have hopefully brought a new perspective to the band's songwriting process.

beachdude42, TUG and JamesMichael like this.
  7. clockwise

And you'd think they wouldn't put out a fucking 79 minute record if they didn't have the material. They obviously believe in this record, hopefully people feel the same way. I personally have a really good feeling about it. And this is after I had to take time off from listening to them/seeing them live because of how things ended with Quinn.

beachdude42 and JamesMichael like this.
  8. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

Seeing them live with Justin honestly floored me. It was at a festival that they headlined and I figured I'd watch half their set then leave... they put on such a great show that we all had to stay the whole time, it was crazy

beachdude42 and clockwise like this.
  9. clockwise

Yeah, I was never into Saosin so I don't know what kind of guitarist he is but what I've seen I really like! He seems like a really good fit for the band.

TUG likes this.
  10. irthesteve

A very impressive and skilled guitarist is the answer!

11. thedrudo

Trusted Prestigious

Yeah, this song rules.

TUG likes this.
  12. Turkeylegz

Trusted

This is not the song I expected to be obsessed with this fall, but here we are. I hope they swing by Cleveland on this tour. This sound is great!

TUG likes this.
  13. airik625

we've seen the shadow of the axe before Supporter

This is the first song I have liked from this band in a decade.

14. thenewmatthewperry

performative angry black man Prestigious

I think there might be a few since the recording session was so freeform!

Turkeylegz and TUG like this.
  15. clockwise

Wow that interview has me even more excited for this record now.

beachdude42 and TUG like this.
  16. beachdude

I'm not brave Prestigious

Was it Musink? I was there too, was also really blown away.

TUG likes this.
  17. beachdude

I'm not brave Prestigious

Turkeylegz and TUG like this.
  18. irthesteve

Taste of Chaos, but the two were really close to each other in time

beachdude42 likes this.
  19. JamesMichael

TUG and beachdude42 like this.
  20. laputan

The new single is mildly catchy but weak bc of the bland lyrics. I'm surprised people here like it so much. When people complain it's too pop, it's bc of the lyrics as much as the music. Taste of Ink and I Caught Fire had heart, which is why people love The Used.

For those that say it's the best they've heard from The Used since the first two albums are, no offense, clueless. I didn't love Lies for the Liars but Artwork and Vulnerable were Amazing once you delve deeper into them. And even Imaginary Enemy had a few standout tracks, most of all Overdose which is an amazing love song.

The whole Shekoski joining The Used is fine, he seems fine, but the way I see it he's support, it's not his band, and I hope he doesn't try to change them into something else.

Keep in mind there is a live recording if a second song from The Canyon called About You which you can find on YouTube and which is a Lot More promising than the throwaway single.

/onlypost

21. irthesteve

#opinion

22. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

I'd say this is way better than anything on the last two albums and better than 80% of Artwork. Lyrically I don't think they've ever been great so it's definitely not why I've listened to them. I also think it's a lot better than the song they played live.

And I hope Justin tries to change them up a lot, they've been stale for a while and need to be more creative and it seems like they're heading in a positive direction.

23. JamesMichael

Anyone who thinks the new song isn't better than the last 2-3 albums is mad! They've never been lyrical masters either.

beachdude42 and slimfenix182 like this.
  24. slimfenix182

FUCKIN SAVAGES IN THAT FUCKIN BOX Prestigious

Agree. And I like most of Artwork and Vulnerable quite a bit. But this is just so much better.

beachdude42 and JamesMichael like this.
  25. vidiviciveni

Trusted

It's the only single that's caught my attention since In Love and Death (13 years, holy fuck...) - It's not a deep song and it does get monotonous after 5+ minutes, but its seriously catchy and just generally sounds like the band is having fun again.

JamesMichael likes this.