Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Used - The Canyon (October 27, 2017) Album • Page 3

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by irthesteve, Sep 6, 2017.

1. beachdude

I'm not brave Prestigious

The fact that this song is such a breath of fresh air, the album being 17 tracks and 79 minutes long, and the weird (for this band) conceptual-sounding track names make me think this will at least be an interesting listen, if nothing else.

Even if nothing else on the album lives up to this track for me, I'm expecting something other than a "typical" Used record now, and that has me extremely pumped.

thenewtypetheory likes this.
  2. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

The song is ok, not my favorite but it beats most things from Imaginary Enemy. I hope there will be lots of variety on this album.

3. rxbandit89

probably over-caffeinated. Supporter

I like the song, but what is going on with the mix? I'm having flashbacks to Letlive's The Blackest Beautiful.

JamesMichael likes this.
  4. thenewmatthewperry

performative angry black man Prestigious

The production on the vocals are really crisp and airy, especially on the swells around the chorus, I really like it.
    The song has a genuine energy that I did not feel from the last release.
    It's incredibly catchy I was not expecting that

TUG likes this.
  5. Matt504

Trusted Prestigious

I feel like I'm going to be in the minority here, but I really enjoy Imaginary Enemy. This song is just OK, especially with the terrible mix job. Hopefully it fits in better with the album as a whole...

6. jorbjorb

7 rings

I'm back in with this band. #bandwagon

TUG and beachdude42 like this.
  7. thenewmatthewperry

Years ago the Bert gave an interview in which he stated he wanted to create a new sub genre of pop called "gross pop"

This song very much accomplishes this.

8. Daniel182

Let's hold our breath until we disappear

I'm actually liking this way more than I expected I would. Excited for the album.

TUG, beachdude42 and JamesMichael like this.
  9. disambigujason

Trusted Supporter

i remember thinking Cry would bring about a return to form so i remain a little hesitant but like others said theres more to be excited about this time. props to them for sticking it out this long.

10. beachdude

I'm not brave Prestigious

Yeah, for me the things that make this song so exciting are largely in the ways it's different from so much of their past work, and how well the "different" elements are executed. If this ends up being a standout single surrounded by safe, mediocre songs I'll be very disappointed... but I do admit pulling off 17 solid tracks is quite a feat for any band.

TUG, SpyKi, JamesMichael and 2 others like this.
  11. nohandstoholdonto

problem addict Prestigious

I'm extremely, and pleasantly, surprised by how much I like this song. Wow.

Contender, CoffeeEyes17, TUG and 2 others like this.
  12. JamesMichael

Software Engineer Prestigious

I think Justin will have played a large part in giving them a kick up the backside so to speak. The last few albums have been disappointing minus a few songs. I have to admit I thought Cry was going to be a return to form as well but I have a bit more faith in them this time with the help of Justin and the new producer they could potentially release the best album since the ST/ILAD era.

js977, TUG and beachdude42 like this.
  13. clockwise

GREEN DUDES BEST GREEN DAY PODCAST Prestigious

Was just gonna mention I love how the vocals sound. Bert sounds more natural than he has on record in years

TUG and thenewtypetheory like this.
  14. clockwise

GREEN DUDES BEST GREEN DAY PODCAST Prestigious

The Used Announce New Album ‘The Canyon’ Debut New Track and MV for “Over and Over Again”

Some interesting tidbits from the press release -

"Every musical note and vocal heard on the record was recorded entirely on tape without a click track at the legendary Valentine Studio with some songs featuring string arrangements and a choir. The process was unique and unlike anything the band has done before. They would hit record and play it as if they were on stage, without a backing track. Songs weren’t played and recorded repeatedly until the magic was gone. What you are hearing is what really took place within the recording process. Every nuance was captured and with every listen you experience something new. " – Via Official Press Release

"The Canyon will take fans on a lyrical journey through the intimate psyche of Bert McCracken. The intricate musical composition displayed presented itself to the band in a way it never has before. “I’ve learned as an artist that a great idea is such a gift. If I don’t stop whatever it is I’m doing, even if while driving, if I don’t pull over at that moment, then maybe I didn’t deserve the idea to begin with. I learned to respect and worship the ideas in that way, that they are and will always be something sacred. Stopping in that moment was a brand new approach for us during this process” says McCracken."

js977, TUG, thenewtypetheory and 2 others like this.
  15. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

I thought Hands and Faces was a pretty good example of that descriptor

TUG, beachdude42 and thenewtypetheory like this.
  16. nohandstoholdonto

problem addict Prestigious

I need to listen in headphones to be sure, but I honestly really liked how everything sounded through my car stereo.

beachdude42 and TUG like this.
  17. airik625

we've seen the shadow of the axe before Supporter

Haven't listened to the single yet and honestly wasn't going to until I saw some of the reactions in this thread. Will definitely check it out later.

beachdude42 and js977 like this.
  18. thenewmatthewperry

There's a bit of a coheed vibe to the vocals at some points when they harmonize @ 2:00

sawhney[rusted]2 and beachdude42 like this.
  19. Bane

The spiciest meme

I'm surprisingly alright with this song, especially the bridge section. Props to them for branching out a bit.

TUG likes this.
  20. Bane

The spiciest meme

HOLY SHIT I just saw the album being 17 songs and 79 minutes long? Yo they're totally going for it and I'm here for it all, super curious how it turns out.

beachdude42, thenewtypetheory and TUG like this.
  21. thedrudo

Trusted Prestigious

Did Justin write on this album?

22. disambigujason

Trusted Supporter

Showed some friends this at school and they were digging it. Hype train is gaining steam.

TUG likes this.
  23. Theemoflamingo

Regular

Anyone else think it would be cool if they did warped 2018? I think them being on a main stage would be cool

24. sukottokairu

Regular

this song is growing on me quickly. really interested in hearing the album! although the mixing sounds a bit weird... if they recorded on tape with mostly "live" takes then it makes a bit more sense. i could see this album being comparable to paramore's self titled. a new songwriter bringing some energy and experimentation into an album that may throw people off at first, but could be their biggest success yet!

irthesteve likes this.
  25. thedrudo

Trusted Prestigious

Yeah, just music in general. I couldn't remember when he joined the band.

TUG likes this.