Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Used – “Rise Up Lights” • Page 2

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Oct 23, 2017.

1. SuNDaYSTaR

Regular Prestigious

Yeesh.

2. oldboot

Regular

I didn't think it was that bad. It sounds like it could've been a poorly produced b-side to one of their older albums

3. KyleK

Let's get these people moving faster! Supporter

Bad vocal performance, bad lyrics, and repetitious - which only serves to highlight the bad vocals and lyrics.

Chase Tremaine likes this.
  4. Ben Lee

I drink coffee and dad my kids Supporter

Always felt like these guys struck a chord on their first album (got lucky) and now here we are.

5. HelloThisIsDog

Trusted

I've heard better sounding GarageBand recordings.

Chase Tremaine and SuNDaYSTaR like this.
  6. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

i am sure there are those who disagree, and thats totally fine, but I don't think anything they've released since Love & Death has even been listenable.

carrytheweird likes this.
  7. Ben Lee

I drink coffee and dad my kids Supporter

Totally agree. I liked a few songs off Love & Death but I haven’t been into anything since then.

8. GetUpAndrew

Constant horror and bone-deep dissatisfaction.

Wanted so badly to like this track but it's still disappointing after a third listen.

9. AutopilotYears

Regular

Song itself isn't really that bad but that production is just atrocious.

10. carrytheweird

www.nrdc.org

They struck gold with the first album due to the time period of when it was released. That style of music was dominating, and the emo/grunge aesthetic they pushed was the new trend in rock so they were right on the money. LP2 seemed like them riding on that, but not nearly as good as the first album. By the time LP3 had come along, fans of the first album had stopped listening and they had garnered a gazillion new hot topic fans who loved their emo side. They became huge because of it, despite the fact that the music was never up to par with the first 2 albums, but they kept going with that because it's just what worked for them. Once they started to lose attraction and Bert was a mess, the music represented exactly what kind of band we're left with now imo.

11. Davjs

Trusted

Not only were their first two great, but Artwork is also great. Give that one a shot.

12. mattylikesfilms Oct 24, 2017
    (Last edited: Oct 26, 2017)
    mattylikesfilms

Trusted

The production alone is fucking atrocious... the song is also pretty awful too but it’s The Used.

I would only be shocked if this was awesome.

Ben Lee and Bryan Diem like this.
  13. carrytheweird

www.nrdc.org

I don't like Artwork at all. They've had a few tracks I've come across here and there that seem ok, but don't pull me back. I'll always listen to a new album from them, but I think besides the first two albums the only release I've enjoyed was the Shallow Believer EP.

14. Davjs

Trusted

Shallow Believer is good too! In the Used thread, most people are revisiting Artwork and coming around to it. I honestly think it's amoung their best work, esp songs like Sold My Soul, Best of Me and Empty Without You.

15. Bryan Diem

Trusted

Watered Down is a jam

16. Davjs

Trusted

I personally love every song on that album, it all flows together nicely.

17. Bryan Diem

Trusted

It's not as bad as people say, not as bad as the two records after. I really like their first 3

Davjs likes this.
  18. SuNDaYSTaR

Regular Prestigious

Not even the tracks that would have blended in perfectly with their early work, like Empty With You?

19. carrytheweird

www.nrdc.org

Yeah not really interesting to me. Bert's vocal delivery has changed so much. Over the years.

SuNDaYSTaR likes this.
  20. I've known that for years, and that song title is the only reason I'm listening to this song right now, hahah