Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Untold History of the ‘Take This to Your Grave’ Artwork

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, May 6, 2021.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Alex Toor has done a deep dive into the history of designing Fall Out Boy’s Take This to Your Grave artwork:

Fast-forward nearly a year later and I was able to get in touch with Mike Joyce, designer for Take This To Your Grave and founder of Stereotype Design. Mike has generously shared several never-before-seen assets from the making of TTTYG exclusively with The Bad Habits Collection. The following is a complete dissection of these contents, their fascinating history, and the artistic process that guided the way.

more

Not all embedded content is displayed here. You can view the original to see embedded videos, tweets, etc.

mit_backwards likes this.
  2. parkerxcore

Somebody's gonna miss us Supporter

this was pretty neat

Kaduck likes this.
  3. Kaduck

Regular

4. cosmickid

Composer, but never composed.

crazy that the artist was just sitting on these gems all these years.

i think 'to my favourite liar' would've been a great title for the album, as iconic as 'take this to your grave' is.

5. mrenkens007

Surprise, Surprise Prestigious

I think this is one of my favorite things I've ever read about a classic album's cover. What a series this could be.

6. artbynickferran

nickferran.com

This is extremely my shit

Dan O'Neill, TapDatApp and Jason Tate like this.
  7. TapDatApp

who knows Supporter

Thank you so much for pushing this, @Jason Tate! I grew up reading AbsolutePunk every single day after school, so to have something I wrote shared here has a ton of sentimental value to me. And thank you to all for your time and the kind words so far!

8. parkerxcore

I agree this would've been such a good album title

blink180ryan likes this.
  9. BradBradley

Regular

Wow, I never knew Patrick Sthump had an “h” in his name until today.

Dan O'Neill and Serenity Now like this.
  10. TapDatApp

who knows Supporter

What’s interesting is that the h is at the end of his name, Stumph. It’s silent. Not sure if he’s had it legally changed, but my guess is Stump is strictly for professional usage. I wanna say he’s Irish?

Also his mother is named Patricia, and he’s often said he doesn’t like being called “Pat” because that’s already her name.

Analog Drummer likes this.
  11. What timing :) happy anniversary indeed

TapDatApp and Jason Tate like this.
  12. BradBradley

Regular

I was just making a shitty joke. My bad.

13. TapDatApp

who knows Supporter

and we both have folie avatars? Iconic

Dan O'Neill, BoldType and Jason Tate like this.
  14. gbuffers

England.

Enjoyed this read a lot. Very interesting.

15. Serenity Now

deliver us from e-mail Supporter

this was great. i agree that posts like this would make a great series.

Dan O'Neill and parkerxcore like this.
  16. parkerxcore

Agreed let's keep these going for our favorite albums!

17. kelseyleigh

Trusted Supporter

Great writeup. I really enjoyed learning about the process here.

18. that’s what the podcast is all about :)

19. The last of the real ones :)

Dan O'Neill and Kaduck like this.
  20. Bartek T.

D'oh! Prestigious

Loved to be able to walk through the process and the cover of Pete's bedroom is pretty interesting to look into as well. Though "To my favorite liar" falls really short as the album title for me, both of those ideas for the artwork are much weaker too - especially the second one. But I do admire the persistence hahh - of course I admit the end result is just the best and it seems it came to be quite natural.

First time seeing they've changed it for later releases - I hate it that it stopped showing their names in the order of appearance for a while too.

Serenity Now likes this.