Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Unearned Mel Gibson Redemption Tour

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Nov 8, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Scott Meslow, writing for GQ:

I’m sure Daddy’s Home 2 thinks it’s clever to cast Gibson, an actor widely known for his bad behavior off-screen, as Wahlberg’s bad-boy father. And with John Lithgow playing Will Ferrell’s cuddly teddy bear of a father, it’s easy enough to see where this is going: Lithgow will teach Gibson to be a little warmer, Gibson will teach Lithgow to be a little cooler.

But if Gibson’s character in Daddy’s Home 2 actually learns a lesson about the downsides of bullshit macho posturing, it’ll be one more lesson than Gibson seems to have learned in his actual life. You can argue, convincingly, that someone with an open track record of racism, misogyny, and anti-Semitism can eventually earn a second chance. But while Gibson has gone to rehab, what’s most striking about his return to the spotlight is his apparent lack of remorse.

2. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

Turkeylegz and suicidesaints like this.
  3. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

Not to say Walhberg is a good person, he's probably a dumpster fire, but that was 30 years ago.

4. KyleK

Let's get these people moving faster! Supporter

It's no secret that Wahlberg was terrible back in the day, never has been. Which isn't to excuse his behaviour back then, and I'm sure he's done reprehensible things since which maybe should be highlighted. But Mel Gibson's continued terrible behaviour as a middle aged man is a bit more relevant than what Wahlberg did when he was 15, 31 years ago.

Raku, suicidesaints and Jonathan like this.
  5. Jonathan Nov 8, 2017
    (Last edited: Nov 9, 2017)
    Jonathan

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Verified

Came in to say this. Not excusing his actions, but I imagine Mark Wahlberg has come a long way since then. He's also buried the hatchet one of the people he assaulted accepted his apology: A man assaulted by Mark Wahlberg in 1988 has said he forgives the actor

Raku likes this.
  6. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

Also, Wahlberg would have stopped 9/11 if he were on those planes, so there's that.

PandaBear!, OhTheWater, Raku and 5 others like this.
  7. Fox83

Trusted

Wahlberg was a teenager that was with the wrong crowd and caught up in drugs on top of it all. I wouldn't really compare his situation to Gibson's. I'm not aware of anything he's done since that is remotely close to what he did as a youth, but then again, who the fuck knows anymore in Hollywood.

youwontknow and Raku like this.
  8. J.Dick

Regular

But
    I will never forgive those Transformers movies! Or that one with the killer trees!

Raku likes this.
  9. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

Mark is trash. Mel is trash. Movie is probs trash.

10. angrycandy

I’m drama in these khaki towns Supporter

every time I see a commercial for this movie I think about Mark Wahlberg saying that he was embarrassed by his work in Boogie Nights

CarpetElf and carlosonthedrums like this.
  11. domotime2

Great Googly Moogly Supporter

maybe but im not sure if i have the time to read a think piece about Daddys Home 2.

12. You should read one about Mel Gibson then.

OhTheWater and CarpetElf like this.
  13. Hunter Norman

Regular

Wahlberg may not be the greatest person in the world, but his biggest character flaws were on display when he was very young, while Mel's have continued through his adult/middle-aged life. He's very obviously a shit person. Still seeing this movie on Sunday though, My wife and I like the first one way more than we probably should but it's painfully and surprisingly silly. John Lithgow can only up the silly factor.

youwontknow likes this.
  14. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Both are dickheads. Wahlberg has at least made an effort to change. Still a piece of shit, tho. Gibson deserves no redemption and I really am baffled at how forgiving the culture is. Then again, look at Chris Brown

Larry David likes this.
  15. Shrek

can't be made fun of Prestigious

i detest mel gibson and am on an eternal boycott of any of his projects, which is very easy given how p much all of them are total dog shit

summertimejesus likes this.
  16. PandaBear!

Trusted Prestigious

Literally came into this threat to say exactly that - I detest this man and will not watch a single movie he appears in. Glad i'm not alone! haha

17. Laura

Bozo did the dub Prestigious

Long before I met my husband, my last relationship ended after a fight about Mel Gibson. Best decision I've ever made.