Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Uncomfortable Disregard for Legendary Rockers’ Sexual Misconduct

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Nov 15, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Alex Young, writing at Consequence of Sound:

“It was a different time, sex was treated differently back then” is the argument commonly used to justify the transgressions perpetrated by heroes like Chuck Berry, Bill Wyman, Jimmy Page, and Iggy Pop. All these men and many more have acknowledged engaging in romantic relationships with women well under the age of 18 when they themselves were in their 20s or 30s. Wyman was 47 years old when he began dating a 13-year-old girl — of course, with the approval of her mother. Wyman’s former band, The Rolling Stones, later flaunted their dalliances with underage groupies on merchandise sold during their 1994 Voodoo Lounge tour.

2. DillonHigh

In regards to Kiedis, there's a chapter where he talks about losing his Virginity to Cher who was babysitting him. He was 14

3. Zip It Chris

Be kind; everyone is on their own journey.

It's hard to have any emotions toward this anymore other than numbness. I knew the world was a disgusting place, bad stuff happens to good people etc., but no idea that it is so uniformly accepted among certain groups. 47 and a 13 yr. old with parents approval? Finding out a sexual relationship is with a 14 yr old, and then doing it again?! I'm just so confused, and all my musical heroes are not the people I thought they were on a level I never even fathomed being possible.

Chase Tremaine likes this.
  4. skogsraet

Trusted Supporter

I had no idea about Iggy Pop. I think this is very common knowledge for older generations but I don’t know how I would’ve known outside of doing exactly what I did just now and specifically searching “iggy pop sexual misconduct.” The culture has done so much covering up for these guys. It’s disgusting.

Also I have a real problem with the term “underage women” and it’s really weird to see it being used in an article calling out exactly the kind of behavior that phrase perpetuates.

5. Zip It Chris

Be kind; everyone is on their own journey.

They need to be reporting it for what it is, which is Child Molestation. Just like they dance around the word Nazi with stuff like 'alt right' it needs to be called out for the disgusting thing it is, that will actually offend people.

6. Right -- a 13 year old shouldn't be categorized as an "underage woman," she should be called a child. A 47-year-old dated a child.

Blows my mind how none of these behaviors were prosecuted back then.

suicidesaints and skogsraet like this.
  7. Ska Senanake

Trusted

I'm done with having heroes other than my parents and grandparents and a few select people who i am very close to. The last several weeks have made me lose faith in people I held very dear, looked up to, and were extremely inspired by. Not fucking worth it.

8. Fox83

Trusted

What the hell?

suicidesaints likes this.
  9. KyleK

Let's get these people moving faster! Supporter

In terms of the rockstars of the past who have these track records, I think it's less had to do with covering up their behaviour, but the fact that it was grossly normalized. This weird nostalgia associated with rock n' roll and the glorified 60s-80s period somehow coloured over the fact everyone knew the bands were taking advantage of fans, including young ones. It's been presented in movies forever too, and was made out to just be part of the music scene, like somehow that was alright. Ridiculous.
    It's one of the many reasons I get so mad about the baby boomer generation criticizing millennials and our world now, as if their time period and heroes weren't despicable too.

suicidesaints likes this.
  10. Malatesta

i may get better but we won't ever get well Prestigious

people gave Bowie a pass and i really dislike it

11. Turkeylegz

Trusted

This kills me on Jesse Lacey levels. It's true, though.

12. Behind the Barricade

https://www.behindthecade.com

I don't think he ever had sex with Cher. From what I remember reading, he has seen her naked by spying on her but never did anything. It's been awhile since I read Scar Tissue so I could be wrong.

13. DillonHigh

My bad it's in the oral history biography of The Red Hot Chili Peppers

14. Behind the Barricade

Gotcha. I have to check that out!

15. DillonHigh

I enjoyed it far more than scartissue mainly just because I like Flea and John better, plus I'm a sucker for oral history interview style biographies like the SNL and Chris Farley bios

16. Behind the Barricade

I actually found Scar Tissue more eye opening at drugs than Motley Crue's "The Dirt". It's a miracle that Anthony is still alive and still the lead singer. Flea was made to be a sweetheart and a psycho while John seemed whiny every time he was mentioned.

17. DillonHigh

Well John loved the herion. Quite a bit.