Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Ultimate Motion City Soundtrack Setlist

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, May 13, 2016.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Last week I brought you the first installment in the “Ultimate Setlist” playlist. This week, I’m doing it again. This time it’s for one of my all-time favorite acts, Motion City Soundtrack. I’m not ready to pour one out, but the band recently embarked on their farewell tour, and I figured now would be as good a time as any to try and curate a career-spanning setlist. No pressure, right? Same rules as last time: 22 songs including a two song encore. The full track listing is below and you can find the playlists on Apple Music and Spotify.

I received great feedback on last week’s setlist and I loved the discussion of Jimmy Eat World’s discography and all of the posts sharing ultimate setlists. I even liked all of the people (rightfully or wrongfully) telling me I was wrong for not including a certain song. One quick reminder though is that this is not intended as a best of playlist, but rather a dream setlist. So some songs I can’t imagine the band playing, or that don’t quite fit right in the sequence, may not make the cut. With that said, definitely click that quote bubble to join us in the forums and let me know what you think, create your own setlist, and throw out ideas for other bands you think would work perfectly with this kind of playlist.

Track Listing

1. The Weakends
    2. My Favorite Accident
    3. Attractive Today
    4. Can’t Finish What You Started
    5. Her Words Destroyed My Planet
    6. When You’re Around
    7. It Had To Be You
    8. Mary Without Sound
    9. Broken Heart
    10. Worker Bee
    11. Indoor Living
    12. Time Turned Fragile
    13. Red Dress
    14. L.G. FUAD
    15. Timelines
    16. Disappear
    17. Last Night
    18. Hold Me Down
    19. I Can Feel You
    20. The Future Freaks Me Out
    Encore

1. Even If It Kills Me
    2. Everything Is Alright

2. AshlandATeam

Trusted

Like I said last week - my favorite number is 22 and I have 22 song setlists for all my favorite bands. I discovered MCS late in the game (between 'Kills' and 'Dinosaur') and the two times I saw them live we're heavy on new stuff. So my playlist is too (also, 'Go' and 'Panic Stations' are my favorite records of theirs. I hated that they broke up because to me, they just kept getting better).

1. Hold Me Down
    2. Anything at All
    3. The Future Freaks Me Out
    4. Her Words Destroyed My Planet
    5. True Romance
    6. It's a Pleasure To Meet You
    7. Bottom Feeder
    8. Last Night
    9. Timelines
    10. TKO
    11. Give Up/Give In
    12. When You're Around
    13. Antonia
    14. My Favorite Accident
    15. Gravity
    16. Heavy Boots
    17. The Worst is Yet To Come
    18. Everything is Alright
    19. I Can Feel You
    20. Autographs and Apoligies
    21. The Weakends
    22. Even if It Kills Me

3. NationalPhenomenon

Regular Prestigious

Solid setlist all around. I especially like the one-two punch of Indoor Living and Time Turned Fragile. Those are my two favorite songs of theirs, and I never got to see Indoor Living.

4. TheoW593

Regular

I really enjoy these.

5. Colby Searcy

Is admired for his impeccable (food) tastes Prestigious

No love for Capital H really?!

6. SPine May 13, 2016
    (Last edited: May 13, 2016)
    SPine

Trusted

1. Attractive Today
    2. Everything Is Alright
    3. Disappear
    4. Anything At All
    5. When You're Around
    6. Her Words Destroyed My Planet
    7. L.G. FUAD
    8. Broken Heart
    9. A Life Less Ordinary
    10. Heavy Boots
    11. Stand Too Close
    12. Last Night
    13. This Is For Real
    14. Perfect Teeth
    15. A-Ok
    16. I Can Feel You
    17. Fell In Love Without You
    18. Time Turned Fragile
    19. My Favorite Accident
    20. Even If It Kills Me

Encore
    21. Hold Me Down
    22. The Future Freaks Me Out

PS, I love these. Keep em going!

7. Jared Luttrell

Regular

Great list! I'm curious about the set list they've been playing on their final tour.

8. becky kovach

I'm not crying, you're crying

9. Johnnie Martinez

Totally into it, please keep them coming.

Are you going to be doing this for all bands going on big tours? I would definitely enjoy it for some big upcoming summer and fall tours.

10. Colby Searcy

Is admired for his impeccable (food) tastes Prestigious

I wish more people loved this movie.

It's seriously my 2nd favorite movie ever!

11. dmryan33

Really like this playlist. I love that you used the red dress and mary without sound. Such underrated songs!!

NationalPhenomenon likes this.
  12. Craig Ismaili

@tgscraig Prestigious

Last song cut! Good call. Just wanted to even it off a little bit more and get one more Even if It Kills Me song in there.

13. Craig Ismaili

@tgscraig Prestigious

At Shaky Knees this weekend so I didn't have time to come up with reasons for my picks. Suffice to say this one may have been even tougher than Jimmy Eat World. Lot of great songs cut.

I'll try to check in later on and discuss some of it with you guys.

I'm open to suggestions on bands you think would be good for this feature and I know a few other staffers are working on setlists of their own. So yeah this is definitely something I can see continuing

14. web250

I'll change this eventually Prestigious

Love the inclusion of Mary...but Red Dress is one of my least favorite songs on that album.

15. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

This is what they played in Portland to open the tour:

[​IMG]

16. Absolutely do not want to derail this thread, but I thought this might be a nice place to drop the Motion City tribute compilation a bunch of us Chorus members put out about a month ago, for those who haven't heard it! :teethsmile:

17. foofighter51

Just saw them on Wednesday in Anaheim, and honestly... having a hard time coming up with a better set than they did. Here it is, and guess what? 22 SONGS!!

1. Back to the Beat
    2. Cambridge
    3. Capital H
    4. Her Words Destroyed My Planet
    5. Anything At All
    6. True Romance
    7. It Had to be You
    8. Make Out Kids
    9. Time Turned Fragile
    10. L.G. FUAD
    11. Last Night
    12. My Favorite Accident
    13. This is for Real
    14. Attractive Today
    15. Better Open the Door
    16. Broken Heart
    17. Hold Me Down
    18. Point of Extinction
    19. Everything is Alright

Encore:
    20. When You're Around
    21. A Life Less Ordinary
    22. The Future Freaks Me Out

18. Johnny Bananas

Peace & Love

Such a great idea! Loving this, would definitely like to see more of these. MCS are such a solid band, each album seems to represent a different time in my growing up and will always be grateful for the soundtrack they provided.

19. parkerxcore

Somebody's gonna miss us Supporter

I just saw their farewell show HOB Anaheim and I stood their like an idiot with my hand in the air for at least 10 minutes after their set finished cause I just wasn't ready to walk away :concerned:

Essie and Turkeylegz like this.
  20. Supernova

Prayers/Triangles Prestigious

Great call for The Weakends as opener.

21. Larry David

I'll see you again in 25 years Prestigious

I Can Feel You!

22. Craig Ismaili

@tgscraig Prestigious

You ever see them do that as the intro? They used to do it back on the my Dino tour. Just Tony would walk out on stage and play the drum intro over and over and then the band would come on stage and kick in.

23. Anthony_ May 13, 2016
    (Last edited: May 13, 2016)
    Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

I'll preface this list by saying that once when I saw them at Bamboozle, they opened with the start of "Worker Bee" but then, right at the beginning, when Justin said "I deserve a gold star..." he took a deep breath and they went right into "The Future Freaks Me Out" instead. One of the coolest moments ever. That said, I still think "Fell In Love Without You" is the best possible song to open a set to for them.

Fell In Love Without You
    Shiver
    When You're Around
    It Had To Be You
    True Romance
    Feel Like Rain
    Better Open The Door
    Broken Heart
    Her Words Destroyed My Planet
    It's A Pleasure To Meet You
    Pulp Fiction
    I Can Feel You
    My Favorite Accident
    The Weakends
    Perfect Teeth
    L.G. FUAD
    Don't Call It A Comeback
    A Lifleless Ordinary (Need a Little Help)
    Mary Without Sound
    The Future Freaks Me Out

ENCORE:
    Hold Me Down
    Everything Is Alright

24. Supernova

Prayers/Triangles Prestigious

No I didn't. I went to the Dino show right after the album came out in Atlanta, and they didn't play it(played the rest of my favs off MDL though). The next show they did in ATL was when they played it as the opener. Dammit that sounds awesome.

25. bruinrk

Lot of Commit this to memory. A sprinkle of I Am the Movie. A dabble of Even if it Kills Me and 1 from Go and 1 from Panic Stations