Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Ultimate Brand New Setlist

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jun 3, 2016.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

In case you haven’t heard, it’s been an interesting week for Brand New. The band just kicked off their Canadian headlining tour as the start of a packed schedule of summer concerts. And in typical Brand New fashion, the start of that tour was overshadowed by their cryptic messaging of t-shirts and stage banter and upside down flower crosses. I’m glad I was given two years notice that Brand New were hanging it up, because it’s going to take me at least that long to prepare my tear ducts for that final tour. Because they’ve been on our minds this week, I decided I should probably devote one of our ultimate setlist playlists to the band.

Again, the rules are simple: 22 songs, 20 song main set, 2 song encore.

I decided to only include songs you could find on Apple Music, so that removed a few difficult choices for me (including “Flying At Tree Level” and “Moshi Moshi”). I can also see now why Brand New seems to break their songs up by album in their set, as their discography has changed so dramatically in tone, tuning, and musical styles over the years, it is difficult/basically impossible to find a way to smoothly transition between different eras. There are definitely going to be some people unhappy with me this week with the songs I had to cut. I always love seeing what your lists would be well, and where we differ, so leave those in the comments by hitting the quote bubble on this post. You can also find the playlists on either Spotify or Apple Music.

Track Listing

1. Soco Amaretto Lime
    2. Vices
    3. I Am a Nightmare
    4. Jude Law and A Semester Abroad
    5. The Archer’s Bows Have Broken
    6. Okay, I Believe You, But My Tommy Gun Don’t
    7. Missing You (Leaked Demos 2006 Version)
    8. Sic Transit Gloria… Glory Fades
    9. At The Bottom
    10. Luca
    11. The Boy Who Blocked His Own Shot
    12. Sowing Season (Yeah)
    13. Seventy Times 7
    14. Not The Sun
    15. Noro
    16. Nobody Moves (Leaked Demos 2006 Version)
    17. Jesus Christ
    18. Degausser
    19. Limousine
    20. The Quiet Things That No One Ever Knows
    Encore

1. Play Crack The Sky
    2. You Won’t Know

2. Wait...so did you keep everything and just cheat with an encore? haha

3. MAY I MAKE AN ULTIMATE THRICE PLAYLIST PRETTY PLEASE ? !? !? !?!! !

Ska Senanake and Dirty Sanchez like this.
  4. Craig Ismaili

@tgscraig Prestigious

I'm selfish and want to make one myself, but maybe.

Also I don't know what that comment before means. I used the same rules as always, 20 songs, 2 song encore.

5. Craig Ismaili

@tgscraig Prestigious

Last 4 songs cut:

I Will Play My Game Beneath the Spin Light - This one physically hurt me to do. I love this song, but I just couldn't pick any of the Devil and God songs I get comfortable cutting to get down to 22. I think if you asked me this a few months from now I would take out I Am a Nightmare and left this in, but I've been listening to I Am a Nightmare a ton and I wanted to highlight that.

Brother's Song - I adore this song, but I really wanted to include Soco and Play Crack the Sky and I thought 3 full length acoustic songs would be a bit too much. Blame Brand New for having too many incredible acoustic songs.

You Stole - An underrated song from Brand New's most underrated album. I had 6 songs from Daisy originally (Bought a Bride, You Stole, and Sink were the three songs cut, and I still regret having so many songs from Devil and only 3 from Daisy, but thems the breaks)

Last Chance to Lose Your Keys

That chorus is great, but I've definitely moved away from the pop-punk of Your Favorite Weapon over time. I will still through it on occasionally for the nostalgia factor but that's all the 3 picks on this album are to me. They don't appeal to me on the same plane as the rest of the band's discography.

6. Craig Ismaili

@tgscraig Prestigious

1. Soco Amaretto Lime
    2. Vices

This is going to probably be a controversial start right out the gate, but I come with reasoning. I saw the band do this one-two combo to start the show last August. Soco was played by Jesse alone on stage, as the entire crowd sang along almost louder than him. It felt like what I feel like a Hillsong or one of those devotional singing churches would be like to attend, a religious experience of human connection through music. And then the rest of the band walks out on stage, and I'm thinking, “How are they going to follow that up?” and in true Brand New fashion, they basically said, “Fuck it lets do this.” and ripped directly into Vices. It was so fitting, I wanted to include it here. It's tougher to get the same feel due to the intro on the album version of Vices, but just imagine it going straight into the chaos.

3. I Am a Nightmare

I'm well-aware this one is going to be a controversial choice as well. Many people have said that they're not too into this song, including our fearless leader., and I get it. I happen to love it, though, and think that chorus is straight fire. But the real reason is just that I think I wanted to include one of the newer Brand New songs to kind of represent where they are now, and where they might be headed in the future (assuming they aren't actually breaking up).

4. Jude Law and a Semester Abroad

This song is just pure, unadulterated nostalgia to me. I can't remember when the last time I listened to YFW in full was, but you better believe I throw on this song when I need a drunk shouting song.

5. The Archers Bows Have Broken

I always feel like this song is the one that never gets enough love on Devil and God. I think it's among the best in Brand New's discography. It's just so propulsive.

6. Okay I Believe You But My Tommy Gun Don't

This song has probably 4 or 5 of the best one liners of Jesse Lacey's entire career as a songwriter. Just a master class in writing for what was the peak AIM away message time period. But in all seriousness this is a great song that becomes a legendary song from “This is the grace only we can bestow…” on.

7. Missing You

Ahh yes, the first appearance of fightoffyourdemons. I know a lot of people adore Untitled 2 (1996) and Untitled 3 (Brother's Song / Brother), and trust me both were on the shortlist for inclusion in this setlist, but Missing You (formerly Untitled 4) won me over because I love the way it sort of just becomes a Pixies song by the middle section of the song, but also because of that vocal performance, which is at once sort of reserved and laid back and containing this sort of subtle intensity.

8. Sic Transit Gloria… Glory Fades

I'll admit it, I was damn close to cutting this song. Those that follow me on Twitter know I asked for people to talk me down. Luckily a few people brought me to my senses and I found 2 other songs to cut. While I think this is actually one of the weaker tracks overall on Deja Entendu, it is one of the best sing-along songs in the band's discography, and the dynamic chorus is tailor-made for a live setting, so it stays.

9. At The Bottom

It's kind of remarkable that a major label album's only single. That Daisy rollout was fascinating at the time, and the band's strategy has only gotten weirder and weirder in the seven years since. This song has always been one of my favorites from Daisy, and while I probably like You Stole a little more, I thought having too many slow-ish long songs might drag down the set energy a bit, so I went with this one.

10. Luca

Those who have seen Brand New before know how mindblowing seeing the Luca bomb live is. While there is a sort of ethereal out-of-nowhere quality to the “drop” in the song on record, nothing compares to the song live, when you're standing next to thousands of others, holding their breathe in anticipation, before that screech happens and it's just dark euphoria.

11. The Boy Who Blocked His Own Shot

Sad song, sure, but it comes with the territory, I suppose. There was no way I was leaving it out of the setlist. It was just a matter of where. As a comedown from the chaotic end of Luca and a precursor to the Sowing Season intro, I think it is slotted well.

12. Sowing Season

I like to think of this as the beginning of set two. It's at this point the set really starts to take off and build towards what is a heavy, climactic finish.

13. Seventy Times 7

There is really no good place to fit this song in the setlist. I thought about just pairing it up with Jude Law, but that seemed like a cheat, so I just threw it in the middle of the setlist, in hopes that the people who are just there for the YFW songs will go away before the powerhouse Devil and God songs come up.

14. Not The Sun

This was the eighth and final song included from Devil and God. It's a testament to how consistently incredible that record is (outside of Handcuffs which I think sucks) that even they eight best song probably on Devil and God is still almost assuredly in the top 15 of Brand New's discography. What a special record.

15. Noro

I have a new unwritten rule about these Ultimate Setlists. I get one out of nowhere left field pick per setlist that no one is allowed to hate on, but the band would probably never play live outside of a full-album show setting. That one for this setlist is Noro, the killer closing track off of Daisy. I just love the whole atmosphere of that track, and I've been in love with it since the moment I heard Daisy for the first time.

16. Nobody Moves

I always thought this was the best song off fightoffyourdemons, but the recent remaster has taken the song to a whole new level. The sweeping build at the end of the song just crushes now that you can actually discern all the different layers. Remastered, re-recordered, or untouched the song slays.

17. Jesus Christ

18. Degausser

19. Limousine

Yeah, these songs were always going to be on this list. There was no chance I was cutting any of them. Interestingly, I also decided to keep them all in the same order they appear on the album back-to-back-to-back. Part of this was out of pure laziness in not wanting to fiddle till I found a spot for them, and part of this was out of the thought that those three songs were just meant to be played directly into each other. No other order seems to make sense for those songs.

20. The Quiet Things That No One Ever Knows

I know, Brand New barely plays this song live anymore. But that's a god damn travesty to me and I won't stand for it. I have been quoted as saying this is among the 10 best written rock songs in history, and while I should probably cool it a bit with the over the top hyperbole (completely fair, imagined internet commenter complaint) this song is my favorite Brand New song, and so I selfishly put it in the closing spot of their setlist in the hopes that they start finally playing it more frequently, since I wasn't able to get tickets to the Deja Entendu album shows and have not seen them play the song live since 2011.

21. Play Crack The Sky

Preferably with accompaniment from Kevin Devine and Andy Hull. If that is something that could be arranged literally every time Jesse plays this song for the rest of eternity, that would be great, thanks. But no, seriously, this song was included for the same reason Soco was to be honest. It just becomes that much better when you hear it with several thousand people scream singing the words back at Jesse.

22. You Won't Know

This is Brand New's masterpiece, and I won't be told otherwise. It is a master class in songwriting, it's a powerful, evocative vocal performance, it's got some of the band's most quotable lyrics, and that is enough to give it this spot as the show closer. Bonus points if it is the special 10 minute extended jam live version of the song the band has broken out over the years. That is still probably my favorite live version of a song in the non-Bruce Springsteen category.

DejaMoi and coleslawed like this.
  7. I had a small laugh at "I can also see now why Brand New seems to break their songs up by album in their set, as their discography haschanged so dramatically in tone, tuning, and musical styles over the years, it isdifficult/basically impossible to find a way to smoothly transition between different eras" because there is only one transition here that involves songs from the same album (unless you include the last song of the set to the first of the encore)

Anyway, many props to those who do this every week. I always start and just find myself getting lost in choices hahah. They're certainly fun to read though.

Chase Tremaine likes this.
  8. Craig Ismaili

@tgscraig Prestigious

I did the best I could. I figured I'd try to be up to the challenge. Just breaking it up into album blocks is boring.

9. Oh, I didn't remember that the 2 song encore was a rule. I guess I haven't paid close enough attention to past lists! My bad

10. Kevin360

Someday I’ll find me Prestigious

My tentative list would look like so:

Sowing Season
    Millstone
    Jesus
    Degausser
    Limousine
    You Won't Know
    Welcome to Bangkok
    Not the Sun
    Luca/Untitled
    Archers
    Good Man
    Vices
    Sink
    Bought a Bride
    Sic Transit
    Quiet Things
    Okay, I Believe You
    Play Crack the Sky
    Missing You
    Noro

Encore:

Nobody Moves
    Soco

11. NationalPhenomenon

Regular Prestigious

Thanks for continuing to do these each week! I've been waiting for one with an entire discography I was familiar with.

Some solid choices, but some that wouldn't have made my list. I put together a setlist a couple years ago that I was pretty happy with at the time. Made some changes to it to freshen it up and stick with your guidelines (minus Apple Music).
    1. Good Man
    2. Quiet Things
    3. Sic Transit
    4. Maradona
    5. Sowing Season
    6. Not the Sun
    7. Luca
    8. Sink
    9. Bought A Bride
    10. Logan
    11. Shower Scene
    12. Tommy Gun
    13. Boy
    14. Vices
    15. You Won't Know
    16. Jesus
    17. Jaws
    18. Degausser
    19. Limousine
    20. Coca-Cola
    Encore:
    1. 1996
    2. Nobody Moves
    Tough cuts include Millstone, Gasoline, You Stole, Bangkok and Soco. Thought about including the new songs, but it's hard to argue against such a strong back catalog that I have a deeper connection with.

I feel like this flows well, makes it easy from a tuning aspect, and gives most fans something to love. For those keeping track, here's a breakdown between albums:

YFW - 2
    Deja - 6
    FOYD - 3
    TDAG - 7
    Daisy - 3
    B-Sides - 1

Ska Senanake likes this.
  12. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

I was shocked when I saw Nightmare on there, then realized it wasn't Jason writing the post.

I approve.

13. Brenden

Trusted Prestigious

@Craig Ismaili I feel like minus the Daisy stuff I agree with this all.

I just could never get into Daisy, so much so that its one of the few albums that I have bought that does not just exist in my itunes.

Craig Ismaili likes this.
  14. contra11mundum

I hate spoilers. Supporter

Daisy songs are so great live.

NationalPhenomenon and Snewt like this.
  15. Brenden

Trusted Prestigious

I actual agree with you. When I saw them last October I really enjoyed them. If I wasn't moving the next day I probably would have thrown them back on to check them out.

16. benschuyler

Regular Prestigious

Would've loved to have seen "The Shower Scene" sneak onto this list.

17. y2jayjk

Trusted Prestigious

if it doesn't have Logan to Government Center, it's an invalid list.

18. Michael Qualiano

mikeq

I Am A Nightmare shouldn't be anywhere near this list

19. Brenden

Trusted Prestigious

I think its a good song that will translate well live.

20. jlinitz

John Linitz @jlinitz

I dig this list :thumbup: I agree, Daisy songs are so good live. I was lucky enough to be at the TGAD/Daisy show on Long Island and it was nuts.

21. heroseforhigher

I'm grouchy they have never played Fork and Knife so that would be the first song on my encore for them. The rest doesn't even matter because I love them so much. I've seen them 8 times and going for 9 and 10 next week in toronto. Hopefully they'll play Fork and Knife one day.

heartbeatsbrain and Ska Senanake like this.
  22. Anthony_ Jun 3, 2016
    (Last edited: Jun 4, 2016)
    Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

Man this band. This effing band. I agree that organizing this set based on some kind of fluid tone is basically impossible, so I won't try to do it. I'll just throw on what I want, when I want.

Vices (with the full intro)
    Sic Transit Gloria...Glory Fades
    Jesus Christ
    Sink
    Jaws Theme Swimming
    The Archers Bows Have Broken
    The Boy Who Blocked His Own Shot
    Logan To Government Center
    I Will Play My Game Beneath the Spin Light
    Guernica
    Seventy Times Seven
    Sowing Season
    Noro
    Not The Sun
    Bought A Bride
    You Won't Know
    Jude Law and A Semester Abroad
    Millstone
    Play Crack the Sky
    Degausser

Encore
    Soco Amaretto Lime
    The Quiet Things That No One Ever Knows

This. Was. Tough.

Ska Senanake and Dan O'Neill like this.
  23. NationalPhenomenon

Regular Prestigious

They've played it three times live, two of which were part of the discography shows. It was one of my white whales for the longest time after debuting in 2006 and never to be played live again until 2013. I wasn't overly impressed with their performance of it, though. Maybe if they played it more and added more of the atmospheric touches found on the recording it'd sound better in a live setting.

24. Jamie Dagg

Master of not knowing what the hell I'm doing.

See if they did Vices with the full intro as like a walk-on I feel it would be utter chaos and I'd agree with having it first in the set. Otherwise Craig's intro works for me, seen that combo live and it works really well too.

Anthony_D'Elia likes this.
  25. Toner

A Welshy in London Supporter

You're nailing this feature @Craig Ismaili. Really enjoyed the Jimmy Eat World one a few weeks back and this one looks like a lot of fun too. Eagerly awaiting the Thrice one. That'll probably be the most difficult one of the lot with the amount of albums they have under their belt.