Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The True Crime Thread • Page 2

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by BirdPerson, Apr 26, 2018.

1. RJ Knorr

Trusted Supporter

2. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

Killer Ratings on Netflix is seriously getting slept on.

3. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

Too many podcaster ppl have annoying voices. And when they shout talk ahhh it's so annoying. It's why crime junkie is still my fave. Nice soothing voice.

Ken likes this.
  4. JulieLynn

Karma is the Guy On The Chiefs Supporter

Crime Junkie!!!!!!

Also True Crime Obsessed, because Patrick is Fabulous and Gillian is a sarcastic bitch like me.

5. bachna84

we are nothing more than mannequins Prestigious

have you started Cold yet?!

6. JulieLynn

7. bachna84

we are nothing more than mannequins Prestigious

Fair enough!

My wife started a new podcast called "Something Was Wrong" and has been raving about it.

8. JulieLynn

I’ve been laid up at home with a sprained knee so Netflix has been my friend the last week.

9. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

WATCH KILLER RATINGS!!!!!!!

10. JulieLynn

Finally started Cold today.

It’s friggin amazing.

zmtr likes this.
  11. johnnyutes

Vaya con Dios Supporter

Watched this based on your recommendation. Was sad, mad, and perplexed. Two thumbs up

riotspray likes this.
  12. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

Glad you gave it a chance. I feel like everyone is sleeping on it because it's in a foreign language but it's just as compelling as most of the other true crime stuff that people clamour over.

johnnyutes likes this.
  13. theagentcoma

yeah good okay Prestigious

I can't stand MFM or Last Podcast. The hosts for these shows are obnoxious and crass and all they do is laugh at their own dumb jokes. They rant and go on tangents and get around to the crime after a bunch of bullshit.

Sword & Scale is literally the only true crime podcast I'll listen to. It goes straight into each case with no bullshit or fanfare. And they play courtroom audio, 911 calls, audio from bodycam recordings, etc. It's good stuff.

14. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

I've binged the podcast Broken Harts the past few days and damn this story is heartbreaking (no pun intended).

15. GoingInDry

Hit a lick

16. Kiana

I've been listening to the this is why we drink podcast and like it's okay. Nothing rly special or unique but their voices don't annoy me and they don't just shout talk. But this episode I'm on Christine describes her old fall out boy obsession and how she spent hours in her youth hunting down Patrick stumps phone number and left him a voicemail and it's such stalker no boundaries would have been #goals of my deranged teen self that I'm stanning!!!

17. BirdPerson

fuck tammy! Prestigious

If any of you still have FB, you should join John's True Crime Videos group. It's good for ball

18. Kiana

Idk if anyone struggles with the boundaries of being interested by true crime and crossing that line into disrespectful. I don't think being interested in true crime is inherently disrespectful, but I hear a lot of criticism over some of the comedy true crime podcasts and stuff and ppl like fetishizing true crime and the victims getting lost in the lore of the killer. It got me thinking because I listen to true crime podcasts that ask for listener stories and I listen to those episodes. But as soon as my sister suggested we send in a hometown murder from our town, my instinct was "absolutely not, she was a real person. How would her family and friends feel treating what happened as entertainment for a podcast?" Which I recognize is hypocritical because I'm willing to listen to those things until it's someone I know as the subject and then it feels wrong. As soon as that personal connection is there then I draw a line. But obv all these stories of true crime have a personal connection to someone somewhere. I grew up on forensic files and other true crime shows but I guess I am working on finding what that line is for myself.

BirdPerson and iCarly Rae Jepsen like this.
  19. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

true crime makes me uncomfortable but it could just be me, like I'll be like ooh this cult where they abuse young women that's wild and then I'm like fuck that's CSA

I don't necessarily judge people though unless it's like with Jon Benet, but I do think there's a way to not be exploitative and respect victims but it's hard

20. Taketimeandfind

Trusted

I was thinking about this today too. I’ve been watching Mindhunter and it got me thinking about how people reacted in the Stranger Things thread about them possibly linking Chernobyl to next season. Seems like the general consensus was that would be disrespectful to use a tragedy like that for our entertainment. Yet shows like mindhunter get into the horrific details of what happened to these victims and it’s played to entertain us by how awful it is. Yet I don’t really see too many people dragging it for using the pain of actual victims for our entertainment.

21. BirdPerson

fuck tammy! Prestigious

I don't listen to true crime podcasts but I do watch a ton of true crime tv shows. That is some serious food for thought.

Shows like Dateline spend a TON of time profiling the victim. A show like Snapped, by its nature, tends to focus on both victim and perpetrator. Shows like Injustice with Nancy Grace should be fired into the sun because she's exploiting victims under the guise of honoring them (per her track record)

22. Taketimeandfind

Trusted

Just binged to live and die in LA and the only real problem I had with it was the reporter keeps saying “there’s no way that’s true” to every time someone says Adea said she would ruin Chris’ life or kill herself or something to that affect. He says there’s no way that’s possible but he didn’t know her. And of course her friends/family wouldn’t say that about her. Maybe they didn’t even know she was like that. But I’ve been in a relationship where a seemingly normal person gets emotionally unstable and threatens things like that. Doesn’t mean she was for sure that way, maybe Chris is lying. But I don’t think you should just discredit it either. Of course in no way does that mean anything that happened to her was ok and I am not trying to victim shame at all.

also, his friend that was with him when he died said they were going to kill Chris’ father. But maybe Chris wanted to kill his father so that he wouldn’t talk? The reporter doesn’t propose that idea and just goes with what the friend says. Unless I missed that

23. Taketimeandfind

Trusted

Ah didn’t hear someone asked that question on the follow up episode

24. Kuri44

Came here to make a true crime forum and then found this!

Anyways, how are we not talking about Lori Vallow case?!?! I’ve been following it for months and it’s honestly one of/if not, the most bizarre cases ever.
    Long story short(or as short as I can make it) : (I’m copying and pasting my texts to a Friend from about a week ago In this section:
    “JJ (7) and Tylee (17) missing since September
    From Idaho. Mother, Lori Vallow won’t say where they are/what happened. Its a wild wild wild case with lots of death, end of world, LDS (latter day saints)”
    Kids have been missing since September from Idaho. Mom and new husband (Chad Daybell) believe in the end of the world. Moms brother (Alex Cox) killed the kids stepfather (her 4th husband, he had adopted JJ) last summer In Arizona in what he claims was in self defense when Charles went to pick them up. Alex Cox then died mysteriously in December. New husbands wife died mysteriously in October and married the mom (Lori Vallow) after they both moved to Hawaii.

“ He writes books about the end of times. And when the 4th husband (Charles) tried to file for divorce, he said the Lori started believing she was a god and was gonna help bring about the second coming of Christ.

Anywhoo, they now are living in Hawaii and haven’t said anything about where her kids are. And all the kids stuff was found in a storage unit in Idaho. Wild wild stuff.

They exhumed the body of Chads deceased ex wife and autopsy reports are pending”

As of yesterday, they FINALLY arrested Lori and she’s being held on a 5 million dollar bond.

Mom of Missing Idaho Children Appears Before Court, Investigators Find Last Photo Taken of Her Daughter

P.S. They think the world is ending on July 22,2020

25. Kuri44