Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Tragically Hip Band

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by vidiviciveni, Aug 22, 2016.

1. vidiviciveni

Trusted

Since I'm Canadian and have no idea what music actually trickles down to Murica, I'll give a little background here.

The Tragically Hip are a revered Canadian band and have been for ~30 years or so, but earlier this year it was revealed that their iconic lead singer Gord Downie had been diagnosed with terminal brain cancer. Rather than throw in the towel, the Hip embarked on a final tour, with Gord doing chemo and radiation around the shows. Saturday night was their final stop, in their hometown of Kingston, Ontario. Over 1/3 of the population of Canada tuned in to the CBC broadcast to watch them pour their hearts out one last time, and they were not disappointed.

The clip below really has to be seen to be understood - if the song Grace, Too is not your thing that's ok - skip to around 5:00 to see Gord's reaction to his final show. For starters, Gord's always been one of the most interesting performers, he's a total weirdo and he knows it. But by the end, he weeps onstage during the song, screaming and crying and fighting against what is likely going to kill him before long. I've honestly never seen or experienced anything like it, and I wept right along with him. Much respect to a band and a man beloved across my nation - in Gord we trust.

If you're unfamiliar with The Tragically Hip the songs below should ring a bell and blow your mind. Their discography is a lot more incredible than I ever realized.

2. TheWater(s)

Kiss The Sky Prestigious

I'm from Canada but when I just went back there for my sisters wedding everyone talked about them and I didn't realize how huge they are there. They played like 6 of their songs at the reception. Watched the final show live stream and it was great. Hell of a way to go out. Sad but glad he got to leave on his terms before the cancer wins.

vidiviciveni likes this.
  3. unbornwhiskey

Trusted

I'm not Canadian but I lived in Edmonton for about 10 months at one point in my life and became a huge hip fan over that period of time. gord is my favorite lyricist of all time. I streamed the final show and spent most of it crying

vidiviciveni likes this.
  4. Larry David

I'll see you again in 25 years Prestigious

They did another broadcast of their final show on Saturday night, and it was absolutely beautiful from front to back.

5. Larry David

It is tragic(no pun intended) that this thread is so inactive.

6. unbornwhiskey

Trusted

one of the best bands of all time, gord is def my favorite lyricist ever

7. unbornwhiskey

Trusted

oh lol i forgot i already posted in this thread

8. Larry David

That's ok, let's keep this thread active!

9. Larry David

Top 5 songs:

Bobcaygeon
    Fifty Mission Cap
    Ahead By A Century
    Grace, Too
    Wheat Kings

(this can change daily)

10. unbornwhiskey

Trusted

oh my god i have no idea

11. unbornwhiskey

Trusted

problem bears
    escape is at hand for the travelin' man
    as makeshift as we are
    leave
    the bastard

i think?

12. unbornwhiskey

Trusted

also what's everyone's favorite downie lyric

at the moment mine is "legs scream at bikes and bikes scream at trucks" from "the rules"

13. Larry David

I tilted your cloud, you tilted my hand
    Rain falls in real time and rain fell through the night
    No dress rehearsal, this is our life

14. unbornwhiskey

Trusted

oh yeah those lines are perfect

truelovewaits likes this.
  15. Larry David

Anyone listen to Gord's solo stuff? I haven't checked out the most recent one yet

16. unbornwhiskey

Trusted

i think battle of the nudes is a masterpiece, afaik i'm the only person who thinks that, the music is as whirling and varied as his lyrics. but all of his solo stuff is great. i reviewed secret path last year: Gord Downie: Secret Path Album Review | Pitchfork

17. Larry David

I'll check out your review. Question is, should I read it before or after I listen

18. unbornwhiskey

Trusted

good question! idk, maybe listen first

19. Larry David

20. Barcara

Regular

What up Hip fans!

1. The Last of the Unplucked Gems (National Celebration extended jam preferably)
    2. Escape is at Hand for the Travelling Man
    3. Bobcaygeon
    4. Grace, Too
    5. Ahead by a Century
    HM: Coffee Girl paints a lovingly-detailed picture that I can't help but smile at.

"Those melodies come back to me, at time beyond our heartbeat."
    Hauntingly beautiful line, and in the context of the song it's a very specific and poignant thought by the narrator, but to me I think the beauty of it is how resonant and nostalgic it is without the backstory. Gord also croons the line like only he can.

I'll rank the albums but I'll need a minute or two haha.

21. unbornwhiskey

Trusted

ooh i wanna rank the albums

day for night
    music @ work
    phantom power
    fully completely
    in between evolution
    trouble at the henhouse
    in violet light
    road apples
    we are the same
    man machine poem
    up to here
    world container
    now for plan a

22. Barcara

Regular

Nice to see a Music @ Work appreciator! I'm surprised at the height of IBE and how low WC is for you, but that's what I love about their discography, people can have radically different opinions on this. I think a lot of people would put UTH quite high, but I'm with you in that I would keep it low as well. I'd probably have Plan A at the bottom too, but I still like the record.

23. vidiviciveni

Trusted

Shit I hadn't realized people actually replied to this thread lol, good stuff. Was just talking about Arkells covering "Music at Work" and remembered what a good tune it is

24. unbornwhiskey

Trusted

now for plan a is great but it also sounds like a hip record on autopilot. not a bad thing just... less good

25. unbornwhiskey

Trusted

new gord double (!!!) album in october