Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Top Albums of 2018 (So Far) • Page 4

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jul 3, 2018.

1. Craig Manning Jul 5, 2018
    (Last edited: Jul 5, 2018)
    Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

The Sidekicks made both our mid-year and end of the year lists for their last album, too. I would not know that band existed if it wasn’t for this site.

Aaron Mook, Jason Tate and FTank like this.
  2. russvanderhoof

pizza.~

The Sidekicks & Black Foxxes are my top two. Also throwing in Special Explosion (last two weeks of 2017). ~

3. Pooch

Regular

surprised Palm Reader got no love on this site. Also, thank god for Drew including Sleep.

4. contra11mundum

I hate spoilers. Supporter

Well I guess I’m gonna check out The Sidekicks now

Aaron Mook likes this.
  5. timcsheehan

Regular

My top 3 so far are all females or female fronted. Didn't do that on purpose just what rose to the top for me-feels fitting.

Kacey Musgraves
    Now, Now
    World's Greatest Dad

Butinsmallsteps and tyramail like this.
  6. Butinsmallsteps

Regular

Great list and a ton to say but can’t compose my thoughts as I’m on vacation. I will say this article gave me tons of stuff to check and and I’d like to commend how much Spanish Lov Songs are mentioned here. Say how insanely impressed I am by Caitlyn Smith and Starfire.

Sister cities is my AOTY so far so I’m glad it’s getting recognition and Sleepwalkers is also up their so I’m likin the list. A little sad of the lack of mention for Worlds Greatest Dad but understandable, i was really impressed by that album tho and it’s lookin like it might be near the top of the year for me.

Also just want to say I love this feature!

Aaron Mook and Craig Manning like this.
  7. So it goes

If you're talking about Awkward Breeds, that's their third album.

8. Craig Manning

Meant to type "their last album." I wasn't all that enamored with it, so I didn't delve any deeper in their catalog.

9. Donnie Ruth

Trusted Supporter

Excited to dig into some of these!

But can’t lie, seeing Brian Fallon at the top spot really brings me so much happiness for him.

10. grimis16

Regular

11. gravedanger

Wow....thanks for heads-up about Spanish Love Songs. Never heard of them, but I started listening and I'm so glad I found out about them. It's been a day but I think I've played each album like 5 times.

Both the instruments and lyrics hit hard and I love it.

Zac Djamoos likes this.
  12. KyleK

Let's get these people moving faster! Supporter

I had the same response to them because of the lists too.

Immediately recommended them to my best friend who I knew it'd be up the alley of, and for as much as he thought they were good, he thought The Menzingers and Red City Radio are still better and he probably would instead just listen to their discographies if in the mood for that style. 1) It reinforced that he always tends to like music he already knows more than anything new (nothing wrong with that - just highlighted we're different in that regard), and 2) I thought he was really selling them short and hope he comes to appreciate them more on further listens.

Zac Djamoos likes this.
  13. Zip It Chris

Be kind; everyone is on their own journey.

Give Caitlyn Smith a try...she's incredible.

Sean Murphy and Craig Manning like this.
  14. smowashere

Trusted Supporter

TWY
    Now, Now
    Fickle Friends
    FOB
    Kids See Ghosts

I wasn't feeling the Sidekicks after my initial listen, but now I feel like I have to give it another chance because of this thread!

15. Zip It Chris

Be kind; everyone is on their own journey.

My Top 10:

1 The Wonder Years Sister Cities
    2 Caitlyn Smith Starfire
    3 The Neighbourhood The Neighbourhood
    4 Kacey Musgraves Golden Hour
    5 Spanish Love Songs Schmaltz
    6 Punchline LION
    7 nothing, nowhere. ruiner
    8 Endless Heights Vicious Pleasure
    9 The Penske File Salvation
    10 Marmozets Knowing What You Know Now

Craig Manning likes this.
  16. Craig Manning

Sean Murphy and Chris Prindle like this.
  17. grimis16

Regular

Sidekicks is a definite grower. I was a huge fan of their last album on first listen. So when I heard this one at first I was disappointed but now I'm in love with it. The more I listen the more I'm hooked.

Aaron Mook and smowashere like this.
  18. johnnyferris

Sic Parvis Magna Prestigious

I think I'm somewhere around 40% on the main list of albums that I've actually listened to, which is nice to me because this year I've really made a conscious effort to listen to new albums and artists as often as I can. I've been updating a Spotify playlist with a song from each release I've gone all the way through this year which will make looking back on this year a lot easier.

I've only had a day with this list, but the first two albums I've visited have been Now, Now and Spanish Love Songs. Now, Now, a band I never listened to despite seeing their album on No Sleep's catalog, is really catching my attention and may have a high spot on my list by the year's end.

19. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

Chris Prindle and Craig Manning like this.
  20. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

I spent hours thinking about this album and then had to jump at the chance to write about it when it came up. Thanks for saying something, I wasn't sure if I got across what I was hoping for.

Jason Tate and awakeohsleeper like this.
  21. Anthony Sorendino

Great lists! I have a lot to catch up on!

I am LOVING The Republic of Wolves.

22. reachingfor

Regular Supporter

Our Lady Peace
    BTBAM
    underoath
    K’s Choice
    Reign of Kindo
    TesseracT
    Marmozets
    Now, Now
    Hidden Hospitals
    Front Bottoms
    Pete Yorn & Scarlett Johansson
    Elder Brother
    Take Shape
    Dance Gavin Dance
    Fall Out Boy

This year is incredible so far!

23. noKings

Regular

Think I like the new TDS more than everyone else

24. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

TDS was... I don't want to say a disappointment, but I came back to it a lot less than I expected. It hasn't had nearly the staying power of any of their other releases.

25. noKings

Regular

shoutout to Grundy, only one with Middle Kids and they are 2!