Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Top Albums of 2017 (So Far) • Page 2

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jul 5, 2017.

1. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

Even though I liked the Maine album when it came out, I think I underestimated it; just listened this morning and it's way more solid throughout than I remembered.

2. kait_whiteside

Dang, did no one here like the Dirty Projectors album?

Fronnyfron likes this.
  3. Spenny Jul 5, 2017
    (Last edited: Jul 5, 2017)
    Spenny

Regular

Some awesome picks! And a lot more new stuff to check out. I guess I'll share my Top 16 (had trouble cutting it down clearly).

1. Dua Lipa - Dua Lipa
    2. Paramore - After Laughter
    3. Lorde - Melodrama
    4. The xx - I See You
    5. Halsey - Hopeless Fountain Kingdom
    6. Andrew McMahon in the Wilderness - Zombies on Broadway
    7. MisterWives - Connect the Dots
    8. MUNA - About U
    9. Bleachers - Gone Now
    10. SZA - Ctrl
    11. Hippo Campus - Landmark
    12. Alma - Ma peau aime
    13. Feist - Pleasure
    14. All Time Low - Last Young Renegade
    15. Allie X - Collxtion II
    16. Charli XCX - Number 1 Angel

Most anticipated for the coming month:
    Oh Wonder - Ultralife
    Arcade Fire - Everything Now
    HAIM - Something to Tell You
    Lana Del Rey - Lust for Life
    Manchester Orchestra - A Black Mile to the Surface

Mary V likes this.
  4. youwontknow

If I smile with my teeth, bet you'd believe me

Solid lists!! Heard most of what's there but definitely have more to spin. Nobody's into the new Phoenix? Maybe it just came out too close to mid-year. Bad move Phoenix, bad move.

5. Matt Metzler

Space Cadet Prestigious

I had the same thought. I didn't like the singles very much but maybe I'll check out the rest of the album now.

CarpetElf likes this.
  6. Spenny

Regular

For me, it's his best album since Everything in Transit, but maybe that's just me lol.

7. CyberInferno

Line below my username Supporter

The lack of ATL on these lists surprised me as well. I thought this was one of their best albums yet.

8. Christopher Mills

Tryhard

So true. The Head North album is absolutely phenomenal and not getting the attention it deserves.

9. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

I love the ATL album, but I'm not surprised to see it not getting a lot of attention. There wasn't much buzz about it.

10. Christopher Mills

Tryhard

A Will Away, Wild Pink, Sinai Vessel, and Head North are some of my favorite releases of the year. Surprised to see no mention of any of them.

11. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

I agree that it's the best ATL album but that's like saying "the best Jacksonville Jaguars quarterback."

Fronnyfron likes this.
  12. Just painful to watch someone embarrass themselves this much in one thread. Maybe take a break, walk around a bit, let someone else get a few bad posts in? Spread it around?

truelovewaits and fenway89 like this.
  13. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

It's like a self fulfilling prophecy.

How is that first post bad? It's literally an observation lol. I haven't seen people talking about it. I haven't heard it; it's not a comment on the quality or perception or anything other than a statement about how I'm surprised that I've heard so little about an album the staff almost unanimously mentioned. Genuine question - what's shitty about that?

Ourchestra likes this.
  14. You not paying attention doesn't make an album not talked about. It's been one of the most talked about and covered albums on this website this year and the single's are doing really well in the mainstream as well. Thousands of words written about it. It's a hilarious argument from ignorance.

fenway89 likes this.
  15. crunchprank

crunchprank.net Prestigious

Perfect timing. I was just about to start organizing what I had so far, and this made me realize that half the year is already almost over. Yeesh!

It's great to see The Menzingers so high, it was a solid album. Also this list reminded me that I should probably revisit Tiger's Jaw. I just couldn't get into it after 2 listens, but enough people here mentioned it so I'll give it another go. Again I haven't organized my thoughts yet, but off the cuff, I'd place Sorority Noise or either Swordfish on my top for the year so far. The one release I was surprised to see not on any user top 10 list at all is Diet Cig. I don't think I'd place it in my top 10... maybe... but I thought at least one person from the staff would.

But thanks again for the list. Time to get mine together while I try and jam to Tiger's Jaw.

Aaron Mook likes this.
  16. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

I never said the album wasn't talked about and I am aware of it's commercial success. I never once claimed that it wasn't talked about.

It's also not an argument. I went out of my to explain that I was not making any argument, just an observation. It's not hilarious or an argument and yeah, I literally opened with "this comes from a stance of ignorance" so what exactly are you doing here, buddy? Just felt like blowing off some steam by repeating someone's comment back at them in a more condescending way?

17. Your posts sucked, glad you see how utterly pointless they were now too.

18. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

Trolling stopped being cool when I was 16, dude lol.

Ourchestra likes this.
  19. Craig Ismaili

@tgscraig Prestigious

The really disgustingly rapey song and how they tried to defend it by saying "it's really a song about the heartache of unrequited love, all love, no violence" which is a gross defense really turned me off the rest of their whole record

20. LiveFast_DieOld

Regular

Surprised Smith Street Band only got 1 mention

21. thatwasamoment

Since '06

I identify with Mook's list the most. Beach Fossils is always on rotation for me.

Aaron Mook likes this.
  22. B-)

23. youwontknow

If I smile with my teeth, bet you'd believe me

OH GOD! Didn't know...

24. Loki

God of mischief

The Menzingers is also my CLEAR and AWAY pick for #1 so far. I never thought Andrew wouldn't be #1 in a year in which he released music but it didn't have it's usual staying power with me thus far...

25. Ourchestra

What's hilarious is calling someone ignorant for not looking at this site as much as the person who runs it.