Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Three Body Problem (Netflix)

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by spiffa0, May 21, 2021.

1. Just finished the books, and what an incredible trilogy. I highly recommend it.

As far as the show:

About Netflix - International best-seller 'The Three-Body Problem' to be adapted as a Netflix original series

Not super excited about the Game of Thrones guys being the writers and producers, but the story has an end so maybe they won't fuck it up.

Hoping Rian Johnson is heavily involved.

Not much other information out there at this time.

2. flask

Trusted Supporter

Haven’t read it since the author said he supports China throwing Muslims in internment camps.

sawhney[rusted]2 and xapplexpiex like this.
  3. xapplexpiex

sup? Supporter

Same. I started the book, then stopped when I heard that.

4. Didn't know about any of that. Here are some links for those who wander in here

Liu Cixin’s War of the Worlds

'The Three-Body Problem': Netflix defends sci-fi drama after criticism

5. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

didn’t know netflix picked this up. makes sense with how much they’ve been pushing their audience internationally.

6. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

cool

7. So there is another three body problem series coming out from China next year. Here's the trailer. Probably will be more true to the books.

8. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

The cast seems a little odd if they are starting just with the first book. It's so steeped in the setting of the Chinese cultural revolution that I have a hard time seeing how they can incorporate western actors without a significant story change.

Then again, I recall the second and third books being a little more multi-cultural in terms of characters, so I also wonder if they're going to introduce some of the characters from Dark Forest and Death's End earlier on in the series. That might make it all a little more palatable for general audiences and give them an easier through line to follow.

9. Hugo G.

FKA whiterussian Supporter

I finished the trilogy after hearing the Uhygur stuff about 3/4 in, specially since the books were already bought. It became a part of my context reading the final quarter.

That said, I really enjoyed the books, in part due to the Chinese-centric perspective which was refreshing as someone who has mostly consumed USA/UK sci-fi.

Not sure it will translate great to TV but I'm not paying for it so go off, on both counts

sawhney[rusted]2 and aoftbsten like this.
  10. So the first six episodes of the Tencent version of this show are out and can be watched for free on YouTube. I think they will release all 30 episodes over the next four weeks at some regular interval.

The quality on YouTube isn't great. Looks like you could pay for wetv and it might be better quality.

Anyway, first two episodes were good, the second being excellent. Some janky special effects in this. And the English subtitles are pretty quick, quicker than I'm used to anyway.

11. Talking to myself in here lol but...

Through the first 13 episodes. Originally thought 30 episodes for the first book was insane but they are really taking their time and doing a good job with it. It can drag a bit. Everything in the past with Ye is great. Just got to the red Coast base stuff. Everything inside the game is great.

aoftbsten likes this.
  12. imthegrimace

the poster formally known as thesheriff Supporter

I’d watch it but I don’t know what tencent is lol

13. It's a channel on YouTube.

imthesheriff likes this.
  14. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

Oh it’s on YouTube?

15. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

Spiffa is referring to the Chinese production currently airing on youtube, first mentioned here:

spiffa0 likes this.
  16. Yep sorry for being confusing

17. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

Nice, I had no idea it was going to be on youtube. I thought I was going to have to pirate it or something.

18. Man the Chinese version is really good. I think it would lose the casual viewer for being too long and a slow burn. But it's such a quality product (other than special effects things but who cares).

The only thing that Netflix show might do better is streamline the story for the masses.

19. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

January

20. They definitely... westernized? It. Don't know the word. I highly recommend the tencent version. I'll still watch but not expecting much.

sawhney[rusted]2 likes this.
  21. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

That wasn’t too inspiring of a trailer. I need to continue the Tencent. I was kind of lukewarm on the first episode of that one though. It’s a tough series to adapt.