Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Theme Park Thread • Page 55

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Matt, Mar 31, 2016.

1. oncenowagain

“the whole world’s ending” “honey it already did” Prestigious

It does seem extremely stupid that the difference between riding Rise and not riding Rise could be a microsecond. I watched multiple videos and read pieces on how to best secure a pass and I got boarding group 45, but someone within that same fraction of a second could be getting boarding group 46-75 or above. It’s fucking bonkers.

2. Totally. And like where are all these people when that time comes? I felt like town square and Main Street was crowded with folks cheering and stuff at rope drop but that’s not nearly enough people to fill that many groups unless the ride capacity is INSANELY low. Has any info come out about that? I know nothing about the ride yet and am trying to keep it that was but I imagine it should hold tons of people so where on earth are they all at rope drop?

oncenowagain likes this.
  3. oncenowagain

I know that Hollywood Studios let people go back as far as Star Tours (and all the way to Tower/Rockin Rollercoaster in the other direction) before the park officially opened when I went. So the main drag wasn’t nearly as crowded with people.

Could you tell that they for sure contained the crowd to Main Street when you went?

4. I guess I’m assuming. That’s the normal operating procedure for that half hour before opening. My son is obsessed with the fire house right now so we rarely make it past there for a while.

oncenowagain likes this.
  5. SteveLikesMusic

approx. 3rd coolest Steve on here Supporter

I frikkin did it. I rode rise on Friday morning. It was awesome. Feel super lucky. I was so sleep deprived but it didn’t matter haha. In general had a great time at GE. Flew the falcon, built a saber. Nailed it.

I stayed at pop century, woke up at 530, got an Uber over at 6, was through security around 620, walked over to the entrance to toy story land and was held there til 7 where i got the reservation and then rode slinky dog! I was group 22, rode around 10am, and after us it broke down a bunch and they only got to group 70ish that day.

David Parke and oncenowagain like this.
  6. SteveLikesMusic

The following day they got to group 150! Crazy

David Parke and oncenowagain like this.
  7. Huzzah!!

8. colorlesscliche

Trusted Prestigious

My kid is 4 now, and 4 years ago before he was born I was so set to take him every 4 years (4, 8, 12, etc.). But now the reality is I don't even want to take him. Disney is a nightmare theme park now. I can barely handle it as a grown adult. The wait times, the insane planning, the lines, the heat. We'll stick to Sesame Place.

zachmacD and David Parke like this.
  9. colorlesscliche

Trusted Prestigious

3D printed and assembled

Imgur Image

Primer/filler, sanded, primer again

Imgur Image

Painted. I need to take an updated picture. I made the Kyber tray more green.

Imgur Image

Matt and oncenowagain like this.
  10. zachmacD

Trusted

my girlfriend and I went for our anniversary two October’s ago and I wasn’t impressed. I’d been there many times growing up but it wasn’t worth the money or the planning. After everything we did, I’d think to myself “that’s it?”. It felt everything was designed to get you to spend money. Maybe I’m just jaded from working in the corporate world but I can’t see myself going back anytime soon.

Universal on the other hand, we went there the following Spring and had an absolute blast and we’re going to SeaWorld in a little over 6 weeks

11. colorlesscliche

Trusted Prestigious

Look, I love Disney. I go every year (Universal as well). But I can't justify the cost for tickets, food, flight, etc. for my little one as well when I know his patience threshold.

12. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

I absolutely cannot argue against the fact that WDW is monstrously (and sometimes feels unnecessarily) expensive, no question. but for us personally, all the pre-plannig and reservations and bookings you do for dining and now rides allows us to have such a more relaxed trip. I definitely know people who hate it and would rather go on a whim and not have their days planned out, which is totally fine, but for us, i like to know we don't have to rush around and go crazy to make sure we get to something.

I think the one thing I've never really liked or gotten used to though is the magic bands. I don't really like wearing it, and I miss just having the room keys be the all-access pass. I still use an old room key as a bookmark haha

13. colorlesscliche

Trusted Prestigious

It is so planned, and sometimes you're walking from one side of the park to another. And it's so structured, just a pain.

At Universal, I get an Express Pass and walk in a circle, don't back stepping, or time crunches. Way more relaxed when I go there.

zachmacD likes this.
  14. supernovagirl

Poetic and noble land mermaid

Lmfao I mean y’all are talking about ticket prices being exorbitant but you buy an express pass??? Lol at least Disney’s system is free ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

SteveLikesMusic likes this.
  15. colorlesscliche

Trusted Prestigious

It's free, but if you aren't a pass holder or staying on site, you can't do it right away, so when it is finally your turn it's whack. And you still have to stand in line.

I'd pay $65 more at Disney to not deal with that bullshit.

333 GANG likes this.
  16. supernovagirl

You stand in line like barely lol and for free can’t rly complain imo. I definitely am personally glad it’s not something they keep behind a paywall
    But I also know I have inherently different experiences as most people going due to being a local
    However the majority of their crowds esp in off season IS locals so yeah

17. colorlesscliche

Trusted Prestigious

Nah dude, I just went in October. Had passes for Slinky waited over 20 min. Had passes for Frozen, over 15-20 min. Had passes for Mania, over 15-20 min.

supernovagirl likes this.
  18. lati

formerly spaghettti Supporter

That’s a short wait, considering it was October. I went in October and it was the busiest I’ve seen in 6 years of going.

supernovagirl and oncenowagain like this.
  19. oncenowagain

Knowing how to expertly game the fast pass+ system on the app or kiosks is pretty much essential to seeing close to everything you want in one day.

20. colorlesscliche

Trusted Prestigious

It's not long, correct. But she was comparing it to Orlando, which is almost a walk-on with Express pass. Those three rides is an hour of waiting.

Again, which is fine for us tech savy people. But I'd still rather fork out money to not worry about that headache. Not to mention concerns for battery life constantly checking your phone for a new pass to show up.

333 GANG and oncenowagain like this.
  21. supernovagirl

Fair I haven’t used it with any of the new rides so yeah
    I still don’t think it’s worth forking over money for but also I’m a poor person lol

oncenowagain likes this.
  22. SteveLikesMusic

Using fast pass > > > waiting in line 2 hours for each ride like I did back in the day.

Sean Murphy and supernovagirl like this.
  23. zachmacD

Trusted

I didn’t buy a fast pass when I went to universal. We showed up, thought about what we wanted to do, then did it.

you cannot do that at Disney. However, we were able to do everything we wanted to do at Disney because I planned everything months in advance. We were so excited to go then nothing really lived up to the hype. I personally felt like we were just in a big Disney store.

24. supernovagirl

that’s fine but there’s no way you could do that at universal without waiting in some lines throughout the day. Also disney is clearly having a moment of adding a ton of new shit so lines haven’t died down from all that yet.
    Truly don’t understand that last part at allll but not interested in arguing about it. Sorry that it wasn’t for you.

25. SteveLikesMusic

I was at universal yesterday; it was gloriously dead in the morning but then got super busy around noon; hour lines for first 3 HP rides and 3 hour line for Hagrid, hour for spidey etc

I found the simpsons ride to be surprisingly fun and MIB to be woefully outdated

oncenowagain and supernovagirl like this.