Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Teens Will Save Us

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Feb 21, 2018.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Dina Leygerman, writing on Medium:

Every year, before I teach 1984 to my seniors, I run a simulation. Under the guise of “the common good,” I turn my classroom into a totalitarian regime; I become a dictator. I tell my seniors that in order to battle “Senioritis,” the teachers and admin have adapted an evidence-based strategy, a strategy that has “been implemented in many schools throughout the country and has had immense success.” I hang posters with motivational quotes and falsified statistics, and provide a false narrative for the problem that is “Senioritis.” I tell the students that in order to help them succeed, I must implement strict classroom rules.

This year, they were having none of this shit:

I’ve done this experiment numerous times, albeit not consecutively, and every year I have similar results. This year, however, the results were different. This year, a handful of students did fall in line as always. The majority of students, however, rebelled. By day two of the simulation, the students were contacting members of administration, writing letters, and creating protest posters. They were organizing against me and against the admin.

2. This is craaaaaazy.

Mr. Serotonin and fenway89 like this.
  3. kylethrash

Very cool.

Mr. Serotonin likes this.
  4. CyberInferno

Line below my username Supporter

If I was a teacher, I would absolutely screw with people like this.

One of my tennis coaches told me that when he used to play doubles matches, he and his partner would mess with their opponents occasionally. They would pick one of the opponents and simply refuse to talk to him. They would be completely normal to the other one, but they would literally just ignore anything that the first guy said. My coach said it's amazing how effective it was in winning matches. The ignored person couldn't focus at all during the match, wondering what he might have done to offend them, and the person they were talking to was equally confused and unfocused.

5. Stevangelion

We Can (Not) Make It Alone.

I rebelled when they said we couldnt go to McDonalds for lunch anymore, didn't do shit.

6. DarkHotline

Proud To Bathe With A Rag On A Stick Prestigious

This warms my heart.

7. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

That's amazing. What's this feeling I feel? It's... it's familiar. And comforting. Like an old friend. Could it be... hope?

8. K0ta

wrap yourself in petals for armor.

When I was in ninth grade, the Iraq War was in its infancy. I was hard-headed and naive, but I knew my values (minus a lot of vocabulary to articulate them) and in order to protest what I felt was an unjust and terrible war, I would not stand for the pledge every morning in school. I was tormented for 2 years by my peers for this. They would stand behind me in the lunch room, hand over heart, screaming the pledge into my ear, call me a communist, and just make my life hell based on some pseudo-patriotism that I guarantee you they didn't even understand.

I am looking at these kids and how they are the majority - how the world is changing and they are using social media and common values to organize and fight what they know is unjust, to move the needle and propel all of us into a better future - and I am extremely hopeful. I know it's dangerous to talk like that in this day and age, but I have honestly felt this way since the depression of Trump's election wore off and I looked around and saw massive progressive movements happening. These kids are the future and I am damn proud of that.

9. AndrewSoup

It's A Secret To Everyone Prestigious

I think that feeling you're feeling is just what many of us call a feeling

10. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

I feel you on that.

SuNDaYSTaR and Mr. Serotonin like this.
  11. Smittzerland

First time long time (FKA musicfan9795) Prestigious

My 8th grade social studies teacher did something similar while teaching the Revolutionary War. Didn't go to this level, but we all ended up skipping class in the hallway.

Teacher did a good job, and this is what we need: informed people standing up for what's right, while taking no bullshit.

12. sawhney[rusted]2

I'll write you into all of my songs Supporter

Hope. It’s what’s needed right now.

I hope more educators give the teachers the freedom to be creative like this, and for more opportunities for students to actively participate in the classes they are in daily.

This type of educating is how we grow as a nation.

Essie likes this.
  13. rxbandit89

probably over-caffeinated. Supporter

This is wonderful. I watched those kids march right up to that stage last night and make grown adults squirm. Nothing gets me more excited than seeing students recognize the importance of civic engagement.