Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Tattoo Thread • Page 5

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Wall Of Arms, Mar 16, 2016.

1. Chummel

This Must Be My Dream

Yeah I've heard ribs is a bitch, but I've been wanting this tatt for so long, so like you said, fuck it

2. Been battling the idea of finally getting a tattoo a lot lately. I've ideas for like 10, I just need to get the first one over with. Oddly enough, I think the first one is going to be Pokemon related. One of the few things that's stayed constant in my life for a very long time. Probably on my calf.

But I have a thought that I'm curious to get everyone's take on. Tattoo artist are just that, artists. They have their own creations that that put a lot of time and effort into. I've always thought that eventually I want to go an artist I'd like and say, "Hey, show me a few ideas of something you've always wanted to tattoo on someone." I understand the idea that people want their tattoos to be personal and mean something to them, but I also feel that there's something truly unique about having someone creative vision worked out on you as the canvas. Anyone else ever thought of this? Any done it? Thoughts?

Aaron Mook likes this.
  3. J.Dick

Regular

My latest. Kate Kane Batwoman.

ChaseTx, Meerkat, Tim and 2 others like this.
  4. fishguts182

Regular

I have done this kinda I guess. My artist drew up a Kraken holding a ship in a bottle for someone that never ended up getting it. The artist put it on Facebook saying he really wanted to do it and I ended up getting it.

[​IMG]

ChaseTx likes this.
  5. J.Dick

Regular

I also have the HWM logo and my daughters name on my left arm.

I have my son's name on my right arm and a few others but I can't find great pics.

AelNire and Meerkat like this.
  6. Colby Searcy

Is admired for his impeccable (food) tastes Prestigious

J.Dick likes this.
  7. Colby Searcy

Did you end up getting yours yet?

8. Henry

Moderator Moderator

@J.Dick That rules so much. Love that book to death.

J.Dick likes this.
  9. Colby Searcy

I can confirm that the ribs hurts like a son of a bitch.

10. J.Dick

Regular

Thanks.

I loved that book so much when J.H. Williams was doing the art especially that first arc with Greg Rucka. I'm also a huge Bat family fan (my son is named Grayson) and Batwoman was one of the best of the New 52 for me until they took Williams off.

11. Henry

Moderator Moderator

Williams run is probably my favorite book I've read. Just perfect. Stop by the comics thread if you haven't already!

I've been really tempted to get a piece with some combination of Babs, Dinah, and Zatanna for a while. Hopefully, some money falls into my lap and I can make it happen. Haha.

Colby Searcy likes this.
  12. J.Dick

Regular

Birds of Prey

Colby Searcy likes this.
  13. Colby Searcy

I have a question for you regarding your Batwoman tattoo. I assume that you just took a photo in of the version of Batwoman you wanted, then the tattoo artist copied it, correct?

Reason I ask is because i really want something with Batman and Harley Quinn(likely Joker too) but my problem is I feel like it needs to look authentic to the art style of whoever drew it, if that makes sense. I really don't want to spend the money to get a commission for the pose(s) that I would want but i'm just so torn haha.

14. J.Dick

Regular

I loved the J.H. Williams art. I am lucky in that I'm pretty friendly with my artist (our wives are coworkers) and I already knew he liked that J.H. Williams art because we had talked about it previously so he would be fine using photo reference then just kind of making minor changes to make it fit. He and I just talked it out and settled on that image as the best for the leg. I wanted something that looked specifically like Williams. My tattoo guy is a very talented artist but I knew that I was looking for something very specific. He liked it enough to put in on his page. People bring photo reference to tattoo artists all the time (portraits, skylines, etc). That being said I know it is also cool to talk about what you want and have the artist draw it up for you but if you want something specific...let's say a Batman, Harley and Joker in the Animated Series style or a Jim Lee style Hush Batman it is probably better to use specific image and get what you really want. I would never say "Draw me up a Jim Lee style Batman" when Jim Lee has already drawn a lot of cool Batman images. Not sure if this makes any sense.

Colby Searcy likes this.
  15. Colby Searcy

No it totally does! See my thing is, I would like Animated Series stuff but I can't really seem to find images that are posed correctly ya know? If I don't do Animated Series, I'd go with Dustin Nguyen's artwork because he's my favorite artist. I guess it's just hard because my tattoo artist that i've used in the past has mainly just done flash stuff on me, in the sense that I just gave her an image and she blew it up and tattooed it(not like just finding something on the wall of the parlor haha), so I really don't know how good her ACTUAL artwork is or whatnot. Likely i'll go with someone else when I actually get it done though because she lives further away now, then again the incentive for her is she always charged me less because she's pretty slow and felt bad about it haha. I don't know i still gotta figure out all the details. It'll still likely be a few years minimum before i get anymore haha. Sorry for the rambling.

16. Drewski

Maybe so, maybe not.

This one is about to turn a year old. My "Only in Dreams" inspired piece by Megan Jean Morris.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Colby Searcy

@Drewski insane how real that looks!

Aaron Mook likes this.
  18. Drewski

Maybe so, maybe not.

@Colby Searcy I cannot recommend her enough (here's her IG). She's amazing across a really wide range of styles, but her specialty is big color, color realism/surrealism and some portraits.

Aaron Mook and Colby Searcy like this.
  19. Lauren

Miss America Prestigious

I'm just here to lurk Henry's tattoos.

Henry likes this.
  20. jkauf

Prestigious Supporter

This is seriously one of the most incredible tattoos I've ever seen.

Drewski likes this.
  21. J.Dick

Regular

The art in the animated series was awesome, effective, and quite striking precisely because the character designs were so simple. The noirish tone certainly helped as well. I would think that there is enough reference material out there that a good artist could figure out what you want...its not like the new 52 designs with the crazy ass piping and unnecessary lines and stupid stitching on all the costumes.

Did Dustin Nguyen do the Little Gotham (or whatever that book was called) stuff. Very cool.

Colby Searcy likes this.
  22. imthegrimace

the poster formally known as thesheriff Supporter

I'm pale and all mine look great. The artist love tattooing my because of my skin. I'll post some pictures when I get home from work.

Aaron Mook likes this.
  23. imthegrimace

the poster formally known as thesheriff Supporter

I have both my feet tattooed. It's faded somewhat but not a lot actually.

24. J.Dick

Regular

Pale skin is excellent for tattoos...I'm pale at hell.

Aaron Mook likes this.
  25. J.Dick

Regular

They do say exfoliation can be a problem for feet tattoos but I think they last if you keep them lotioned up. I use Trader Joe's Coconut Body Butter.