Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Tattoo Thread • Page 33

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Wall Of Arms, Mar 16, 2016.

1. sean_rugy

select all delete Prestigious

sorry for your loss. wednesday was also the anniversary of a good friend’s passing. a couple of us got these for him on the 1 year, he had a pilot license and loved planes (excuse my hairy forearms).

DD021056-0538-455B-AE9A-61007A321593.jpeg

2. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

Turns out I'm not getting one tonight. Couldn't get a slot that worked and I don't want to stand in the walk in line

3. sad reaccs only

4. Dog with a Blog

Just found this guy by my house. His books aren’t open until January but I think it’d be fun to get something nerdy from him

5. mad

I was right. Prestigious

getting my next one in a week :teethsmile:

6. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

I have paid a deposit but they scheduled me for mother's day. That's not gonna work

7. ImAMetaphor

absence 8/20/21 Prestigious

Got my Julien Baker tattoo done today. I feel really good about it. Now I just have to get through the next 2 weeks of being super paranoid about aftercare and healing.
    22554778_10210311195323619_1390009329065844539_n.jpg

8. Joe4th

Memories are nice, but that's all they are. Prestigious

Working out ideas for a traditional style with “No Retreat, No Regrets” or “Stay Hungry, Stay Free”.

coleslawed likes this.
  9. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

had a rad (I think) idea for a mewithoutyou/In a Sweater Poorly Knit tattoo during their show a few weeks back.
    just an open bear trap in a traditional style, with either “I do not exist” or “only you exist” in plain text below.
    no clue where i’d get it on me, though.

Larry David, gonz (Alex) and Joe4th like this.
  10. crunchprank

crunchprank.net Prestigious

Not sure if this is appropriate, but it was either here or the beauty thread.

Anyway, I have very small sized gauges (8) that I would simply like to stretch to 6, possibly 4 but probably not because I prefer the subtle approach personally.

The question I have is about the tapers. I've watched a lot of YouTube videos on how to properly stretch, and they basically say to stretch them for 1-2 months with the tapers. This itself doesn't make sense to me because when you push the tapers through, it's stretching them. They then go on to mention that you don't want to leave the tapers in as they're not supposed to be body jewelery. So am I supposed to like, maybe keep the tapers in like while I sleep and then take them out for the day, leave my ear hole empty, then again that night but the taper in, rinse repeat?

Any help would be great. I did everything wrong to start off, including by just jamming a big needle by myself through my ears just for the initial piercing. So I'm trying to continue but doing so in the proper way.

11. billyboatman

Hopelessly Hopeful

Love the avatar. Such a great episode.

mad likes this.
  12. Colby Searcy

Is admired for his impeccable (food) tastes Prestigious

Have you thought about getting them stretched professionally at a shop?

13. supernovagirl

Poetic and noble land mermaid

so what you do is use the taper to make the stretch easier (but it should be pretty easy esp if you do it in the shower) and you put plugs in like straight from the tapers, if that makes sense. you hold the plug up against the taper and slide them in one right after the other. I have never done this personally haha but I know enough/have read enough to know that this is the right way to do it.

14. mr_november

Trusted Supporter

Go to a professional. piercing your own ears and then trying to stretch them is asking for an infection.

Colby Searcy likes this.
  15. crunchprank

I figured going from something small like an 8 to a 6 really wouldn't require going to a shop since those sizes really aren't that large. Of course I could be wrong.

Thanks for the information. So basically the only use of the tapers is to make it so you can slide the plugs in easier? I was under the impression that you leave the tapers in for maybe X amount of hours first for it to stretch the ear out, and then put the actual plug in later? So what's all this talk about the "1-2 month" to stretch your ear if I'm simply putting the taper in and then sliding the plug in? I'm a little confused.

I actually pierced my ears yeeeaaarrrs ago, so they aren't freshly pierced. I just decided I wanted to stretch them to a larger size recently. Luckily I didn't get an infection when I did pierce them, but jamming such a large needle through my ears was extremely painful and lots of blood haha. Not sure what I was thinking.

16. supernovagirl

Poetic and noble land mermaid

Yes that's the only "official/recommended" use of tapers. Many people leave them in for extended periods of time (myself included) but you're not supposed to do that because of the uneven distribution of weight. It's bad for your ears/healing.
    And I'm not sure what you're referring to with the second part of that. I think you're just referring to the actual healing time which is time that you should wait before going up another size. Has nothing to do with taper vs plug I don't think?

crunchprank likes this.
  17. Colby Searcy

It's been years since I had my ears gauged for one and for 2 I got them pierced at a 6 gauge originally then went to a shop to get them stretched up to 2 or 0 don't remember which.

crunchprank likes this.
  18. mr_november

Trusted Supporter

Pierced at 6 and then just stretched up that much all at once?

Ya'll are crazy. I had mine pierced at 14 and I went up one size a month until I was at 00.

Colby Searcy and crunchprank like this.
  19. crunchprank

I think you're right. All the wording that was being used in the videos was confusing but what you're saying makes more sense. The 1-2 month part isn't part of the stretching process as I thought, but like you said it's how long you need to wait for them to heal before you stretch again.

So basically since I'm only stretching once, I just need to get a 6g taper and plug, pop them in, and I'm good to go. So thanks for the help! Again I was getting confused with the amount of time you need to wait before stretching again lol.

supernovagirl likes this.
  20. Colby Searcy

I didn't stretch until like a year or so later and I went up gradually over several months.

Also getting pierced at 6 definitely hurt but it wasn't awful honestly. I was surprised at how it didn't bleed at all.

21. Colby Searcy

I haven't worn plugs in years so my holes have closed up some but I could probably still fit at least a 10 G in my holes I'm sure. Maybe an 8

22. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

I kind of love watercolor tattoos but I don't think anyone around me does them and if they do, it's not on their galleries. I just love bright and pretty things!

ChaseTx and Shakriel like this.
  23. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

Also I don't have any tattoos rn but if I did it'd prob be some dinky lil thing so it's super intimidating to read artist bios as they're discussing their art styles and have these big intricate pieces in their galleries and I'm like :seeno::seeno::seeno:

Colby Searcy likes this.
  24. sleepy Oct 23, 2017
    (Last edited: Oct 23, 2017)
    sleepy

pale earnhardt jr.

Been chewing over ideas here and there not committing but I FINALLY found one I will.... I love my Dad, despite our hiccups - he has this tattoo of a vulture birched atop a maltese cross he's so proud of.... (I wanna get a grandpa tattoo nod too cus as much as I love my dad my grandpa is numero uno for males for me in my life BUT...) I decided fitting within my own personality and interests I'ma get a crow or raven (fav animals) perched atop a jack o'lantern. I really wanna do this while he's alive since I didn't get the chance with my grandpa.

25. Dog with a Blog Oct 23, 2017
    (Last edited by a moderator: Oct 23, 2017)
    Dog with a Blog

1. Black Phillip
    2. Fox McCloud (realistic interpretation)
    3. Something Dark Tower related
    4. Iron Giant (???)
    5. Ponyo (???)

Some ideas a-brewin’ through my head. None of my tattoos have any special meaning, just artwork/stuff I like. However, the dude who did my first tattoo has one that has the ink infused with his sister’s ashes and I’ve thought of going to him and having the same thing done with my dad’s ashes. It’s such a minimal amount and it’s more symbolic than anything else, but I think it’d be rad tbh.