Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Szechuan Sauce Fiasco

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Oct 9, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Ben Kuchera, writing for Polygon:

This is a weird situation for everyone, because Adult Swim had nothing to do with the promotion, nor did anyone from the show itself get a heads up about how McDonald’s would try to take advantage of the joke. McDonald’s, for its part, didn’t seem to understand what it was tapping into when it leaned into this gag.

No one was prepared for the enthusiasm of Rick and Morty fans, who are already getting an online reputation for, believe it or not, narcissism and toxicity. And they took that toxicity out on McDonald’s employees, who had little idea of how bad their day was going to get.

We are living in the dumbest timeline.

Raku likes this.
  2. aniafc

Trusted

Rick and Morty super "fans" are the worst.

Raku and Kingjohn_654 like this.
  3. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

any obsessive fans of any fandom are pretty bad. look at any steven universe stories from the last couple years, and that's quite a different demographic

Raku likes this.
  4. Fucking Dustin

Please click "like" Supporter

I forfeit

Raku likes this.
  5. slimfenix182

FUCKIN SAVAGES IN THAT FUCKIN BOX Prestigious

I was trying to figure out what was going on with Szechuan sauce today. I looked on ebay to see packets were selling for 200+ and stopped myself there. So dumb lol

Raku likes this.
  6. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

i've never understood the hype or craze for this show

Raku, swboyd, Dirty Sanchez and 3 others like this.
  7. honkytonk

Narcissism on narcotics

I've gotten pretty into this show over the past couple months, definitely my type of humour. This situation was completely ridiculous though, super fans went over the top on this one haha

8. subplotofcrows

A Grand Scene For A Color Film Prestigious

I remember when Rick & Morty first came out and almost no one knew about it. Then I tried to go to the Rickmobile when it was in town months back and there were 1000+ people lined up hours before it opened. Honestly, it's insane.

I like the show. I actually love the show. I may buy a toy or something related to it, and of course I'm curious about the sauce. But this shit got out of hand QUICK, and it's surprising McDonald's didn't see this fiasco coming.

Adult Swim is honestly killing it, though.

9. Fucking Dustin

The weird thing about Rick And Morty (amongst other things) to me is that so many people tell me it's must-watch television, and if I ask why, none of them have said anything that would make it must-watch television

Raku, Dirty Sanchez, fame and 2 others like this.
  10. aniafc

Trusted

Are we really convinced that McDonald's didn't see this coming?

11. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

all I've been told is that "it's such a smart show", which, after a few tries, is something I do NOT see what so ever.

12. cwhit

i think the way it develops jokes is brilliant. the concepts behind episodes and jokes are sometimes so ridiculous i'm stunned that any human could have thought of them. it approaches really dark topics and (most of the time) succeeds in humanizing them. i just think it's a brilliantly written comedy

13. cwhit

what makes you not like it? which episodes did you watch?

14. Jonathan

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Verified

Hating on popular tv shows is so in right now.

zigbigwig likes this.
  15. aniafc Oct 9, 2017
    (Last edited: Oct 9, 2017)
    aniafc

Trusted

Personally, I don't hate it because it's popular. I don't even hate it. I just don't like it because I don't think it's funny. The issue then becomes then fans say "oh, well you just don't get it" or "it's a really smart funny show, that's why you don't get it" or even "well, you hate it because it's popular."

Like they automatically assume you're too dumb to get it, or you simply hate it for no reason. As if it's impossible to dislike something that is popular.

Raku, Helloelloallo, y2jayjk and 6 others like this.
  16. Jonathan

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Verified

You do you, boo!:heart:

17. Fucking Dustin

I'll probably try it someday, but you know how it is, lots of shows/movies/music/games/etc, not a lot of time

Raku likes this.
  18. kielhauck

itsalldead.com @kielhauck

Wow, great article. I truly cannot wrap my head around this situation. I love Rick & Morty a lot. I hate McDonald’s and don’t eat meat anyway, so I had no interest in the sauce. Even if it was something I was interested in, I can’t imaging being that angry over something so inconsequential. But then again, I direct every angry feeling I have inward until I beat and verbally shame myself, which according to my therapist, is very unhealthy. So what do I know?

Sorry, that was dark. Kinda like Rick & Morty.

19. aniafc

Trusted

Ahh, so you're one of those fans.

Raku, Dirty Sanchez and yeahrightdude like this.
  20. They usually say .... something like ...
    To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Rick and Morty. The humour is extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of theoretical physics most of the jokes will go over a typical viewer’s head. There’s also Rick’s nihilistic outlook, which is deftly woven into his characterisation- his personal philosophy draws heavily from Narodnaya Volya literature, for instance. The fans understand this stuff; they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depths of these jokes, to realise that they’re not just funny- they say something deep about LIFE. As a consequence people who dislike Rick & Morty truly ARE idiots- of course they wouldn’t appreciate, for instance, the humour in Rick’s existential catchphrase “Wubba Lubba Dub Dub,” which itself is a cryptic reference to Turgenev’s Russian epic Fathers and Sons. I’m smirking right now just imagining one of those addlepated simpletons scratching their heads in confusion as Dan Harmon’s genius wit unfolds itself on their television screens. What fools.. how I pity them.

21. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

lmao

22. Bryan Diem

Trusted

Can never tell when someone is being sarcastic about the shows "intelligence" or not, which is pretty bad.

Fandoms are awful, especially R&M because of that intellectual high ground thing. Blah

Raku and aniafc like this.
  23. kielhauck

itsalldead.com @kielhauck

I certainly don't consider myself a smart person, but I really enjoy the show. I had no idea people felt this way. Yikes.

24. skogsraet

Trusted Supporter

Idk if I would call it must-watch tv. I tried the first couple episodes and wasn’t a fan, but my bro kept telling me how great it was so I gave it another shot and ended up liking it a lot. Some of the jokes are just dumb imo, but the rest are a kind of social commentary brand of comedy that make watching the show worthwhile for me.

mercury and Fucking Dustin like this.
  25. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

i read this in comic book guy's voice

Ellite25, Essie, Turkeylegz and 2 others like this.