Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Swellers Band • Page 6

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by AlwaysEvolving21, Aug 31, 2016.

1. CoffeeEyes17

Reclusive-aggressive Prestigious

Never heard of this band tbh

2. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

You'd hate them, really boring. Basically just a real friends ripoff

FTank, Jose and CoffeeEyes17 like this.
  3. GFM made me buy a Les Paul and start writing music again

KidLightning likes this.
  4. bigmike

Trusted Prestigious

Posted these in here a while ago but I'll repost them again. From the show in Kalamazoo in 2011.

KidLightning and Joe4th like this.
  5. personalmaps

citrus & cinnamon Prestigious

One of my all time favorite shows. Also my favorite performance of feet first. I also have a permanent dent in my right thigh from being smashed against the stage during the opening song whoops.

bigmike and Joe4th like this.
  6. bigmike Jun 14, 2017
    (Last edited: Jun 14, 2017)
    bigmike

Trusted Prestigious

Yeah, that's the show that made the swellers really click for me. I enjoyed the Swellers, Fake Problems was solid and I really dug Daytrader, who I was most stoked to see. But The Swellers put on such a good show and the crowd was fantastic that it really blew me away. I spent their entire set clutching my daytrader vinyl to my chest as I bounced around in the crowd. So glad two of my friends got those videos of the songs.

I still love that building. It's a brewery now (and a shitty one, at that) which bums me out. My favorite building in Kalamazoo, I have so many memories tied to that place.

Joe4th likes this.
  7. personalmaps

Truly such a bummer. I saw La Dispute there a few times and The Swellers again in 2012, I think it was February? They surprised us by playing Montreal Screwjob and it was the boooooomb!!

Joe4th likes this.
  8. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

Just listened to Good For Me and Light Under Closed Doors on the road trip back home yesterday. Miss this band so much.

JRGComedy and KidLightning like this.
  9. bigmike

Trusted Prestigious

Who did they play with in the 2012 show? I'm almost certain I was there. I think it's when I broke my glasses cause someone propped themselves up on my shoulders without me knowing it and they kneed me in the head. My glasses hit the floor and I tried to hold people back but couldn't find them and then said "fuck it" and just kept on enjoying the show. My friend found them mangled at the front of the floor afterwards.

10. Joe4th

Memories are nice, but that's all they are. Prestigious

I think it was Bike Tuff and Hometeam.

11. personalmaps

Yeah, this sounds right to me. It was a one off show at the end of their tour so it was just locals.

12. bigmike

Trusted Prestigious

Okay, yes, I remember this show, then. Those two bands would play on EVERY show in SW Michigan I went to and no one in the crowd ever seemed to care except their parents.

13. personalmaps

Hilariously, Bike Tuff is the local on the show the Menzingers are playing at that brewery in July. Pretty sure there still the go to local for some reason.

14. Joe4th

Memories are nice, but that's all they are. Prestigious

I didn't even realize they were still around, wow haha

I can't even remember what they sound like even though I've seen them more times than I can count

15. personalmaps

Pop punk™ Basically.

Joe4th likes this.
  16. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

Who's excited for The Apology Tour and Baggage albums?

I think Baggage is still writing a full album. Their newest song is awesome. Gives me Clarity vibes.

The Apology Tour's debut album is pretty anticipated by me. Sounds like Weezer meets The Swellers, but heavier and with synth and some female vocals.

17. bigmike

Trusted Prestigious

HOW DID I NOT KNOW THAT THE MENZINGERS WERE PLAYING KALAMAZOO!? Fuck me god dam i need to go to that.
    100%. The worst I ever saw was The Wonder Years did a 3-date run right after Warped Tour ended in like 2011 or 2012 and right before TWY was supposed to go to Europe, and it was at The Pyramid Scheme in Grand Rapids. So there were four local openers, of course hometeam and bike tuff were there, and then the last opener comes out with a lead vocalist, three guitarists, a bassist, keyboard player and drummer. Like, c'mon. And as soon as they got on stage my friend said jokingly "can't wait to hear My Friends Over You in this set" and we laughed and drank beer.

Then they ended their set with My Friends Over You.

smowashere and Joe4th like this.
  18. johnnyferris

Sic Parvis Magna Prestigious

Miss these guys very much

The final US show at Chain Reaction will always be one of the best shows I've attended

19. Same, show was so special. The love in that room was palpable.

20. new Baggage!

21. ImAMetaphor

absence 8/20/21 Prestigious

I know this is an old post, but I was at that TWY show. That band is called Maybe Next Time, and I had the same exact thought as you (about them covering My Friends Over You). They played with a band called The Better Fight a lot around SW Michigan and I always sort of dreaded having to get through their sets.

bigmike likes this.
  22. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

These are good songs! I like that theres more energy behind these and I actually like the guitar tones. Kinda gives them a signature sound, imo.

23. bigmike

Trusted Prestigious

Haha, i dreaded it as well. There were a handful of bands that were on every single show around SW Michigan, and the majority of them were cringe-worthy bad.

Joe4th and ImAMetaphor like this.
  24. bigmike

Trusted Prestigious

Stoked to check out the new Baggage tracks later.

25. ImAMetaphor

absence 8/20/21 Prestigious

The Apology Tour is looking for people to be in their music video! For some reason I can't get the Facebook post to show up over here, but this is what they're looking for:

"We need your help! We are working on a new video for Dog Song!

We are looking for people to take video using a smartphone (or tablet), singing Dog Song to their fur baby (any nonhuman animals are acceptable!).

Besides getting to be in the video, you'll get to hear the track before everyone else!

Message us, or “like” if you are interested! We will send you the song, lyrics and further direction!

SUBMISSION DEADLINE: FRIDAY AUGUST 18th!

And please SHARE (or tag) if you know of anybody who may be interested! xo"

My girlfriend and I are totally going to sing to her dogs today and I can't wait.

AlwaysEvolving21 and smowashere like this.