Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Swellers Band • Page 4

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by AlwaysEvolving21, Aug 31, 2016.

1. Miyu Yan (ヤンみゆ)

ビアン

God, I miss these guys. I should listen to them some more. They have such a solid discography, especially I love Ups and Downsizing.

JRGComedy likes this.
  2. bigmike Feb 28, 2017
    (Last edited: Feb 28, 2017)
    bigmike

Trusted Prestigious

I miss this band. They went from a band that I had listened to occasionally into one of my favorites within a matter of months. I went to see them live at a coffee shop here in town (which has since closed down and was reopened as a brewery) and it was my favorite spot for shows. I remember it being a late-summer night, the humidity was unbearable -- thick air with temps still in the lower-90's at show time around 7 PM -- and the coffee house was sweltering.

The Swellers played an abridged set, cutting out songs because of the heat. They finished their set and Nick walked off the back of the stage and out the back door -- this building was fantastic as it was a triangular shape because of it sitting on the corner of a couple roads that form a rather sharp angle. The stage was sat in this smallest angle of this triangle -- and outside, but the crowd was not fucking having it. They stood there, chanted loudly and refused to move until they came back on. They announced they'd never done an encore before (I believe this was their first headline tour? Possibly the tour they co-headlined with Fake Problems) and asked what they should play.

My friends grabbed two videos of them playing and I watch them probably every six months or so. They were genuine, candid, hardworking individuals. Were they groundbreaking? No. They weren't changing the pop punk scene with brand new musical stylings, but god damn if they weren't the most underrated pop punk band of the last 10+ years.

Edit: Feet First was the encore, btw.

Edit 2: The whoa-oh's in Feet First still give me chills. I remember so vividly being in the middle of that sweaty crowd, clutching my Daytrader vinyl I bought but had no where to put so I just hung on to it. I found my friends after the crowd dispersed away from the stage and one of them gave me my hat back after it fell off and we just kind of silently walked out of the building and back to our cars, not saying much of anything at all. Just smiling.

3. Joe4th

Memories are nice, but that's all they are. Prestigious

I miss this band so much. I'm lucky enough to have seen them more times than I can count. I met so many incredible people at their shows, some of them that are still my close friends. Nick and Jono are such awesome people, and it'll always bum me out that the Swellers didn't take off like I felt they should've.

Getting to see all of Good for Me in a small room at Pontiac is still such a wonderful memory. Their last Michigan show too was one of the most emotional shows I've been to.
    I just want them back haha

4. AlwaysEvolving21 Mar 1, 2017
    (Last edited: Mar 1, 2017)
    AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

There's something about these guys that makes a lot people miss them. They're good people who write good music.

I remember Jono saying something like The Swellers are a band's band. I think that means more than he/they may know.

It sucks they broke up and I don't think they should have. These guys deserve to be on the road doing what they love. If you follow them, you can tell they really miss it all. However, they seem pretty happy with where they're at today...healthy relationships, bought houses, jobs, and still making an impact in the music scene. I just wish they took a break from The Swellers and played shows/released new music on their own from time to time to keep it going, mostly for themselves.

They are definitely a band that fans and bands will keep talking about for years. Who knows, maybe there will be some anniversary dates coming up. Everest turns 10 this month and U&D turns 10 in two years lol. Reunion!!

Joe4th and JRGComedy like this.
  5. Chcurry182

Trusted Supporter

I remember pre-ordering Good For Me in class during my senior year of high school, I was so pumped. I was apparently one of the first 50 people to order it because I got a drawing from the band and key chain clip. I still use the clip today. It's faded in color but The Swellers logo is clear.

Jdaniels, bigmike, smowashere and 2 others like this.
  6. AlwaysEvolving21 Mar 30, 2017
    (Last edited: Mar 30, 2017)
    AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

So Baggage's new song 'Half Full' is freaking great. Its Clarity-esque. Its on the new ACLU Benefit Compilation album

smowashere, JRGComedy and Joe4th like this.
  7. bigmike

Trusted Prestigious

I pressed play not realizing it was the whole album and listened to half of the Anti Flag song and was super confused. But yes, "Half Full" is good. Thanks for that.

AlwaysEvolving21 likes this.
  8. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

haha my bad...I didn't realize that had happened.

Fixed it!

9. CoffeeEyes17

Reclusive-aggressive Prestigious

I miss this band and I'm sad I got into them after they broke up because I wish I couldve seen them live. Their 90s altrock mixed with pop punk sound is so fresh and fun but the lyrics can really deliver a gut punch. Plus these guys could just right one hell of a hook

WELCOME BACK RIDERS, ITS ANOTHER RAT RAAACE

10. CoffeeEyes17

what was this referring to? I never figured it out lol

11. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

I think about this band once a week and get sad as hell

Jose, jordalsh, Joe4th and 1 other person like this.
  12. CoffeeEyes17

buddy im always sad as hell but yes missing this bands presence also complicates the matter

Zac Djamoos likes this.
  13. Barcara

Regular

The opening track "Vehicle City" has a chorus that starts with "In the morning when you wake up...", he uses the same little vocal hook in the second(?) verse of "Watch It Go".

trevorshmevor and CoffeeEyes17 like this.
  14. CoffeeEyes17

ohhhhhhhhh ok ty

Barcara and trevorshmevor like this.
  15. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

These guys and Fireworks are two of my 'most missed' bands.

They meant a lot to scene and the crazy part is...I don't think they knew that haha. Really hoping for a reunion at some point.

Jono and Nick have new music coming out soon, so that is awesome. Dave from Fireworks has been doing Empty Houses and that is such a cool band.

Chcurry182 and CoffeeEyes17 like this.
  16. CoffeeEyes17

I'm glad Nick and Jono are happy where they are but yeah they are sorely missed. I mean fuck I JUST got into them as is well documented in this very thread and I miss them. Theyre very nice on twitter and seem to be plugged into their fan base though which is super cool.

17. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

Not plugged in enough to play a private show for me at my house apparently

18. CoffeeEyes17

look nerd theyre doing their best

19. smowashere

Trusted Supporter

Unfortunately, I don't think the scene ever showed it.

CoffeeEyes17 likes this.
  20. Was listening to Cody by Joyce Manor the other day and after This Song Is A Mess finished I immediately put on The Swellers haha. That song is like the Swellers track that never was

21. smowashere

Trusted Supporter

Agree so much

22. bigmike

Trusted Prestigious

This is the fucking truth. Thought the same thing when I listened to it.

trevorshmevor and Chcurry182 like this.
  23. Barcara

Regular

It took me longer than I'd like to admit to figure out why I recognized the little hook in "Watch It Go" haha. Wasn't as familiar with Everest at the time.

CoffeeEyes17 likes this.
  24. CoffeeEyes17

yeah im not super familiar with it either so that never occurred to me

25. CoffeeEyes17

Maybe I was wrong maybe Dirt is in fact their best song

Zac Djamoos likes this.