Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Swellers Band • Page 3

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by AlwaysEvolving21, Aug 31, 2016.

1. smoke4thecaper

out of context reference Supporter

Backing up the love fest for Good For Me. Some of Nick's best songwriting and vocals, IMO. Bill Stevenson got a LOT from them during the recording of that record, and I know the band has hinted at the exhaustion and challenge in recording that one. Worth it - that album still contains some of my favorite lyrics they ever wrote. "Warming Up" still gives me the feels. That came out right after my gf and I broke up, and we'd been together a long time so it's that song will always hold special meaning.

2. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

He was probably the best in that group of pop punk songwriters

3. Jake Z

Regular

Very cool to see this thread get traction. Feet First, Stars, Designated Driver, all some of my favs.

Zac Djamoos likes this.
  4. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

Ah man. I know. I started listening when Ups came out and never really understood how great their lyrics were until Running Out of Places to Go came out. Compared to a lot of other bands lyrics in the genre, Swellers really were above the standard.

5. Barcara

Regular

Ups and Downsizing is the only punk album in my top ten for all-time albums, and it's a no-brainer. Absolutely phenomenal record.

Good for Me is great too, one of those few bands where I actually believe that their biggest(?) single is one of their best songs as well, referring to Best I Ever Had. We sold my childhood home this year and I found myself returning to this band a lot, with that song hitting me in a completely new way.

Could never get into Light, and I really dig try. A couple killer tracks on there though, but mostly forgettable for me.

6. clockwise

GREEN DUDES BEST GREEN DAY PODCAST Prestigious

Light is the only album I like by them, but I really want to re-try their earlier stuff! I dig Baggage though, and The Apology Tour's song is sweet.

7. cherrywaves

Trusted

I'm not crazy about Light either. Songs are pretty good, production lacks punch

8. Leftandleaving

I don't love light but it has some unquestionably great songs

JRGComedy likes this.
  9. SayHello

Regular

I think if the production was better on Light and gave the hooks more power it would be better. It's also ridiculous how good the back half of Good For Me is.

JRGComedy likes this.
  10. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

I enjoy Light a lot. I can agree on the production part. For me, I just connect with that album a lot more than the others. Got Social, High/Low, Becoming Self-aware, and Should are my jams.

SayHello and smoke4thecaper like this.
  11. Aregala

Blistering Guitar Lead

I've been binging these guys tonight after not listening in awhile and holy fuckkkkkkkkkkk they were so good. No question the best band to come from the 09-11 pop punk wave

JRGComedy and AlwaysEvolving21 like this.
  12. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

Dirt has been my jam of the day. Thank you iTunes shuffle for making me love that song all over again.

JRGComedy, trevorshmevor and Aregala like this.
  13. Aregala

Blistering Guitar Lead

Literally was just playing that as I closed out Ups and Downsizing haha. So, so good

14. every two months or so I get in a mood where it's like Swellers pls come back

KidLightning and Jake Z like this.
  15. Got a Facebook notification the other day that was like "The Swellers have posted for the first time in a while" or something. Turns out it was a post for Baggage. Tremendous letdown hah.

JRGComedy and Jake Z like this.
  16. excited for all things Baggage though, really liked that EP

17. I don't think I listened to anything more than just that introductory song, if I heard the whole EP then I've already forgotten it. Maybe I'll throw them on later today.

18. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

I'm excited for Baggage's new music. Apparently it's faster music per Jono's posts about the writing process.

The Apology Tour is good too. Looking forward to hearing more than two songs from them. So far they remind me of early 2000's weezer. Like Maladroit/Green album era.

Hopefully we will see The Swellers in two years on a 10 year anniversary tour for Ups and Downsizing.

19. for a long time I thought the line in 2009 was "this is my heart on tape" and sometimes I still slip into singing that lol

20. Leftandleaving

Ups and downsizing is prob the best pop punk album to come out of their wave. Still consistently floors me

21. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

My mom came out to visit and I've been playing these dudes in car rides. She likes them now. Cool mom.

smowashere and JRGComedy like this.
  22. nfdv2

Trusted Prestigious

mine too!

well back in the day, at least

AlwaysEvolving21 likes this.
  23. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

Anyone hear this?

KidLightning and Zac Djamoos like this.
  24. aranea

Trusted Prestigious

"The Inside" on Beginning of the End Again is one of my favorite songs.

Joe4th and AlwaysEvolving21 like this.
  25. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

One of the first songs I heard from them.