Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Suicide Squad (James Gunn, 2021) Movie • Page 6

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Tim, Apr 30, 2019.

1. RyanPm40

The Torment of Existence Supporter

I loved GOTG2 and these forums are the only place I've seen it get hate. I preferred Ragnarok and GOTG1, but not by much

Anthony_ and GrantCloud like this.
  2. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

I wouldn’t mind a Cassandra Cain cameo, but I imagine this won’t directly address Birds of Prey much more than Birds of Prey addressed the last Suicide Squad. Just another adventure for Harley to go on.

oakhurst likes this.
  3. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

Both Guardians movies are fantastic, I love pretty much everything about them and I cant wait for the third.

RyanPm40 likes this.
  4. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

I've always thought Guardians 2 feels like episode 8 of a 13 episode TV season

Nothing that important to the narrative happens and it's really more of a bottle episode

phaynes12 likes this.
  5. Tim

I just can't wrap my mind around what "important to the narrative" means if people think none of it is in Guardians 2. Did the stuff with Avengers & Infinity Stones break people's brains into thinking the Thanos setup is more important to story than, y'know, characters are? Gosh, this feels so much to me like the people who think The Last Jedi's Canto Bight stuff "didn't matter," lol.

Peter Quill meets the biological father he's yearned for all his life, only to discover that he's a piece of shit. This mess leads to him reconciling with his adoptive father, which was a relationship that was rough & that he carries a lot of hurt & even trauma from. But, Peter comes to realize that his adoptive father wasn't evil, like his biological father; he was simply carrying that same familial trauma & had unwittingly passed some of it down. Unfortunately, right when Peter's reconciling with his adoptive (but real) dad, that man dies while taking care of him. This story ends with a funeral, where Peter eulogizes Yondu in a way that reflects both the brokenness of their relationship & their sincere but long buried affection for each other.

And, that's just one piece of the narrative. There's also the thread on toxic masculinity between Peter, Rocket, & Yondu (which is a factor in Peter & Yondu's broken relationship), ending with them reconciling, the literal last shot of the film being Rocket crying at the prospect of not being abandoned. And, there's that great subplot between Gamora & Nebula, as the daughters of an abusive father, who grew to hate each other in that toxic environment but are here finally able to reconcile. (My gosh did Infinity War stumble in how it handled Thanos' family in comparison, & wouldn't have taken that much to fix.)

All of that, plus the way the rest of the main cast share custody of Baby Groot (especially during that opening fight), plus the stuff with the Ravagers, plus Mantis (the one misstep of the film for me is her never really rising onscreen above being the butt of jokes, but her implied arc still fits)... The whole film is basically that obvious "found family" theme from the first film, but much deeper & more fully fleshed out.

6. RyanPm40

The Torment of Existence Supporter

[​IMG]

7. lol

phaynes12 likes this.
  8. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

very cool to respond to someone’s well thought-out description of why the elements of a film are meaningful to them and why that film is their favorite in a series with a simple “lol.”

9. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

Yeah, that post is super well-written and makes me wish I liked the movie as much as you guys lol

10. Henry

Moderator Moderator

I like seeing @Tim write paragraphs about stuff and thinking, "I'd probably agree with that if I read the whole thing." lol

11. Tim

If I ever write a book, I want this quote on the cover.

coleslawed, Serh, aoftbsten and 4 others like this.
  12. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

RyanPm40 and Anthony_ like this.
  13. my "lol" is referencing the post above mine, a gif referring to the post above theirs but it's at the top of the page for me

which i did think was very cool and even very funny and smart

14. airik625

we've seen the shadow of the axe before Supporter

We still don’t know which character Taika Waititi is playing do we?

RyanPm40 likes this.
  15. Henry

Moderator Moderator

I'd guess Sharky.

airik625 likes this.
  16. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

it's not king shark. steve agee is voicing him.

RyanPm40 likes this.
  17. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

They kept emphasizing that Agee was the "on-set King Shark". And in the character roster teaser he doesn't have an actor assigned to him. I think there's a good chance that they're trying to make it a surprise that Taika is voicing him.

phaynes12 likes this.
  18. Tim

Feel like that’d be such a dumb thing to keep as a “surprise” when we already know about both King Shark & Taika Waititi. If one or the other were a secret, sure, but is his voice coming out of a shark really that big a deal?

...but, it being dumb doesn’t mean they aren’t doing it, lol. And, I do think he’d be a great King Shark.

RyanPm40 likes this.
  19. phaynes12

yeah that would be a pretty dumb reveal, but also the kind of dumb that they definitely would do

RyanPm40 likes this.
  20. Anthony_

Also, like, if the reveal they're going for is that the big tough-looking shark man unexpectedly has a "funny" New Zealand accent, that was kind of already done in Thor: Ragnarok wasn't it.

RyanPm40, airik625 and phaynes12 like this.
  21. phaynes12

i was kind of hoping taika was a surprise villain since it doesn’t really seem like there’s one on the cast list yet

RyanPm40 and jkauf like this.
  22. Anthony_

the behind-the-scenes teaser footage seems to indicate that the villain of the film could be Starro

upload_2020-8-27_13-10-58.png

In which case, Taika could be voicing Starro instead of King Shark.

scottlechowicz, phaynes12 and Tim like this.
  23. Tim

Ooh, yes. Give me that.

24. Allpwrtoslaves

Trusted

Taika as Jarro plz.

Henry likes this.
  25. Anthony_

Given the "70s war movie" comments, if Starro is the villain then I guess the plot is probably that Task Force X gets called in to liberate this fictional South American country from Starro.