Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Suicide Squad (James Gunn, 2021) Movie • Page 4

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Tim, Apr 30, 2019.

1. ghostedaway

bryan Prestigious

Just glad they did King Shark right and not the shit the last movie did with Killer Croc lol

2. RyanPm40

The Torment of Existence Supporter

Wait, Taika Waititi is in this too!?

So stoked for this, that teaser looked great

3. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

it was ... not my favorite haha

4. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

The movie itself is terrible obviously but he was surprisingly good in it. Really him, Davis, and Robbie were the only redeeming qualities that movie had.

5. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

was margot really good in the last one? i remember she was trying her best, but was mostly saddled with making mostly asides and shit

6. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

but yeah, viola was the clear highlight. will smith wasn't bad either

7. LessThanTrevor

Trusted Prestigious

The first one was mainly Deadshot’s story. Granted I’ve only watched it once because that was enough.

8. Anthony_

I’ve always thought Robbie was great in the role

9. youll be fine

Trusted Supporter

Yes. Margot was great.

10. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

Robbie was great, but the character was absolutely terrible.

11. LessThanTrevor

Trusted Prestigious

Birds of Prey really rounded out her character I think.

Zilla likes this.
  12. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

Harley’s main costume reminds me of this dope cover:

292F6D72-7CC7-49BA-9637-AB71D8069FBB.jpeg

Love how some of the costumes look corny in the best way. This is really gonna be something special.

coleslawed, Colby Searcy and RyanPm40 like this.
  13. Anthony_

James Gunn embracing a pure comic book vibe in this is everything I want.

RyanPm40 likes this.
  14. Tim

It's basically, tonally, the 80s John Ostrander & Kim Yale Suicide Squad. Even though it has Harley Quinn, who's associated with the modern Suicide Squad, the energy of this is 100% that classic version.

Which, makes me wanna dig out my trade of the beginning of the run, reread it, & then between now & the release buy more volumes & read 'em, too.

RyanPm40 likes this.
  15. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

16. Tim

Oh, & apparently Bloodsport, Idris Elba's character, is a relatively obscure villain from John Byrne's 80s Superman relaunch. Neat. Love that, between this & GOTG, James Gunn gets to just have a blast with comic book deep cuts.

sawhney[rusted]2 and Contender like this.
  17. youll be fine

Trusted Supporter

Are YOU not familiar with who Bloodsport is?? If so that must be some DEEP shit

18. Tim

In all fairness, I'm more of a Marvel person on average than a DC person, & both universes are deep enough for me to not know a lot, lol. Bloodsport specifically is from John Byrne's Superman run, which is pretty iconic, so a lot of Superman fans probably know him. (I just personally have some issues with Byrne that have kept me from digging into his Superman.)

DrAlanGrant likes this.
  19. phaynes12

i’m still not convinced gunn is that good with comics stuff. GOTG was decent but the sequel is about as bad as comics shit gets.

DrAlanGrant likes this.
  20. Tim

If by "as bad as comics shit gets" you mean "the best live action Marvel movie & criminally underrated," then I 100% agree.

21. phaynes12

you think the second guardians movie is the best MCU movie? i have a covid vaccine to sell you.

22. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

gotg2 got enough of a resurgence with certain people that we have more folks saying it's better than the first. and i think that's fair tbh

coleslawed and RyanPm40 like this.
  23. phaynes12

i think it’s foolish

DrAlanGrant likes this.
  24. Tim

I would go so far as to call it my personal second favorite comic book movie ever made, after Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse.

Really strong storytelling. Deals with its themes of family, trauma, arrogance, etc., very well for a genre blockbuster. Good character work. And, does so in a plot structure that works great in the same general way that The Last Jedi does, with strong subplots that flow smoothly & fit together perfectly. All under a pleasing layer of colorful spectacle, low brow gags, & a tight soundtrack.

No other movie does the whole Marvel Studios formula as well as Guardians 2 does (though Ragnarok comes close).

25. phaynes12

truly insane take