Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Streaming Model During a Pandemic

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, May 13, 2020.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Mark Mulligan:

This model worked fine when live and merch were booming because more than three times as many monetised fans meant three times more opportunity for selling tickets and t-shirts. This of course is the ‘exposure’ argument streaming services are fond of, which works until it does not. Now that live and merch have collapsed, as the trope goes ‘exposure does not pay the rent’. The previously interconnected, interdependent model has become decoupled.

Stuart Dredge:

All of this is being driven by streaming (and particularly by paid streaming subscriptions), yet this growth is accompanied by a resurgence in unrest from the musicians whose work has made that growth possible. Many are worried that streaming royalties aren’t providing a sustainable income.

The contrast between these fears and the rosy industry figures is sharpened now, during the Covid-19 pandemic, with the live music industry having shut down entirely in many countries, with an anticipated hit to public performance royalties to come.

I’ve seen a lot of interesting articles popping up about how the current model for the music industry was (kinda) working … right up until live shows were removed from the equation. I’m afraid we’re going to see quite a few smaller to mid-sized bands just not return after all of this is over.

more

Not all embedded content is displayed here. You can view the original to see embedded videos, tweets, etc.

2. WasteSomeTime

Regular

Just curious what are a couple examples that come to mind when you think some small/mid size bands wont come back?

3. carlosonthedrums

Cooler than a polar bear's toenails Prestigious

I'm really worried for bands like Silent Planet, Belmont, Loathe and others of similar size fanbase. They draw well at small venues when they headline, but they've managed to survive by touring with larger acts and continuing to gain exposure. Silent Planet in particular have been selling instrumental versions of their albums over the last few weeks to try to kick up some extra revenue, but that's likely not something that can sustain them until shows get going again. The amount of bands we're gonna lose is something I've been thinking about a lot since this began.

4. fredwordsmith

Trusted Supporter

Lots of bands are doing cheaper Patreons to keep themselves afloat. I just subscribed to Spanish Love Songs. You can also buy singles on BandCamp for more than the asking price (giving them $3 for a $1 single). Lots of people doing those small donations add up in a hurry if your audience is somewhat large.

Take whatever money you aren’t spending on live shows and merch and give it directly to the bands you love.