Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Story So Far - Proper Dose (September 21st, 2018) Album • Page 43

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by SamLevi11, Sep 13, 2017.

1. koryoreo

Trusted Supporter

Never heard of No Pressure but assume it’s a Parker side project? That’s awful and don’t understand why people still associate with that piece of garbage.

2. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

I feel that there's a difference between talking about an album on its anniversary as well as the issues that went on behind it and being okay with Parker's side-project and relationship with Corrigan.

3. ChampsMusic

Instagram.com/ChampsMusic

Well then. Seems like I need to do some research. I honestly don’t know what No Pressure is or any of TSSF member names are other than Parker. I’ll do some due diligence.

4. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Lol, good, but maybe you should have done that before telling someone to unfollow the thread for pointing it out?

jorbjorb, dadbolt and koryoreo like this.
  5. ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

I enjoyed this album, saw them on the tour for it, but I can’t in good conscience support Parker when he’s in another band with a rapist. Why support someone who will work with and give an abuser a huge platform when you could support so many other musicians not doing that?

koryoreo and sawhney[rusted]2 like this.
  6. Jusscali

Synth-Bop Enthusiast Prestigious

One of their new tracks popped up on Spotify and it’s a jam. When is that due out?

7. bedwettingcosmo

i like bands who can't sing good Supporter

8. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

What's most disappointing is realising I made this damn thread and now don't really want anything to do with it.

9. Samuel Pura Oct 8, 2020
    (Last edited: Oct 8, 2020)
    Samuel Pura

Newbie Verified

I didn't "take to the internet to make it seem like the band did me dirty" I responded to people asking if I was involved and gave a truthful response about my honest attempts to help them and how they didn't pan out. What I continue to find so odd is people discouraging me from being honest. These are all scenarios where band's / label's / manager's are uncomfortable with me sharing the truth and the details involved with my experiences producing those records. What about the truth is concerning? That's where I feel gaslit.

The things that these artists you mention all have in common is out of the 3 options of this diagram... (Dropbox - Fast Cheap Great.jpg - Simplify your life) they choose "Fast and Cheap" I will quote a record label executive on the phone with me and my manager "I don't need great records. I need records completed on time and for the budget." My true issue is that I focus on making Great records and when we don't see eye to eye on that and start cutting corners... I (as I would assume anyone would appreciate) am the one championing for their integrity, their longevity, and their value. And I am often faulted for that.

If I make "fast and cheap" records the label is happy and the band isn't happy.
    If I go above and beyond and make "great fast and cheap" records. The bands say I was difficult to work with. The label says "apparently he was difficult to work with" and then they all go and tour and successfully promote what is their strongest release and avoid me in the future.
    If I make "great records" everyone involved complains that it wasn't cheap and it wasn't fast.

You might start to see the issue here. I want make great records. And that isn't fast and it isn't cheap. And if it is it means I start taking personal risks to be involved because I care about the project and it's potential. And that gets taken advantage of. Everyone wants to be fast and cheap ...and somehow be great!

If anyone is intimidated, and or turned off by my demeanor and my honest transparent attempts of communicating with everyone along with my attempts to get everyone I work with to focus on "Making great records" then clearly I'm not the guy to interact or work with.

10. Jusscali

Synth-Bop Enthusiast Prestigious

Well said - you do good shit.

mattylikesfilms likes this.
  11. Samuel Pura

Newbie Verified

Thanks. And for the record I am cool with TDS and the majority of TSSF.

There are people who get it and people who don’t. The ones who get it are still great friends of mine and value my dedication to my craft, and my passionate support for their work and their basic stability as a human being working in the music industry.

Just because I disagree with an approach an artist makes doesn’t make me have a falling out with them. What does is them initiating a falling out with me. And when I’m honest about that people say “oh he’s talking shit”. Sharing the truth is me taking shit?

12. Samuel Pura

Newbie Verified

Also another note. Why is it weird that I want to interact with my target audience? I specifically have dedicated my entire life and every single dollar I’ve made in an attempt to make records FOR YOU. Ideally they affect you positively and make a massive impact on your life. I want to know what you do and don’t like. I want to read the comments. I want to make GREAT records that are going to positively affect your life.

13. Do you see yourself and TSSF working together on a Proper Dose follow up, or has that ship sailed? Gotta say, that's the first TSSF album I've loved and I still listen to it constantly. Great work on that one, man.

14. Samuel Pura

Newbie Verified

I don’t see us ever working together again. I had a falling out with Will and he was the best man at my wedding. I won’t ever work with or interact with him again. TSSF is guilty by association. With that being said Kelen interacts with me and I have nothing but love and respect for Kevin and Ryan. Parker doesn’t like me although I love and respect Parker.

CAC3, MRose24, ItsAndrew and 6 others like this.
  15. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

Woah, that's wild... and a bummer.

Gotta say that I appreciate how honest and blunt you are about it all. I'll definitely continue to check out your work (love the new Hundredth record) and forever be jealous of your mini Topo Chico fridge.

16. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

Thank you for taking the time to stop by. It’s interesting to hear how these things work behind the scenes. Sorry to hear that working on this turned out to be such a bummer in the end, I think it’s a great record.

On a side note, your work with TDS is fantastic and I’d love to hear where you might go next if you guys continue your association. Mother Nature met and exceeded pretty much every expectation I had from a band I really love.

17. Samuel Pura

Newbie Verified

Thank you. I really appreciate this. That’s what makes everything so much more confusing. In my mind when I produce a record that helps elevate the value of the artist, I would imagine the team would look back at the experience like climbing Everest. Sure it was hard and it sucks the whole time. But we did it. Things like “make sure our manager doesn’t know you are attending the mix sessions...” ...you mean the mix sessions for the record I’m the executive producer for?! Or when I show up at an album release show “What are you doing here? I didn’t know you were coming” or comments like “yeah the guy who recorded us”. They downplay my value and use me. Then downplay my involvement. It’s confusing how the team forgets the value I bring. Also lots of “you’re crazy. You’re delusional” gaslighting comments from that world. Then I come home to my family and or interact with my friends and my idols and they all say that I’m doing great work and to keep it up.

18. JamesMichael

Software Engineer Prestigious

Huge thank you for being involved in creating one of my most played albums in recent years. It was huge for me and I still spin it all the time. Huuuuge bummer to hear though that you won’t be working with them again. I’ll definitely be looking at your next projects!

19. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

Honestly Sam you’re better off not working with those dudes anymore anyway given the company some of them keep

20. btr

Trusted Supporter

Proper Dose rules. Still in regular rotation for me

21. johnnyferris

Sic Parvis Magna Prestigious

They were very good at Sad Summer, but I can’t help but feel bad for Torf. He’s playing third guitar now and keys, and he’s just a shaker/tambo guy half the time lol

Chcurry182 and beachdude like this.
  22. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

Who’s Torf?? Did they add a member?

23. johnnyferris

Sic Parvis Magna Prestigious

He’s (was?) the drummer. So there’s a new guy playing drums

mattylikesfilms and beachdude like this.
  24. beachdude

I'm not brave Prestigious

Yeah I noticed that too lol. Kind of random lineup change.

25. Chcurry182

Trusted Supporter

There’s a new drummer??

beachdude and mattylikesfilms like this.