Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Story So Far - Proper Dose (September 21st, 2018) Album • Page 2

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by SamLevi11, Sep 13, 2017.

1. justin. Sep 15, 2017
    (Last edited: Sep 15, 2017)
    justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

I know more girls than guys who listen to TSSF.

The girl who was kicked off stage doesn't even feel like it was because she was a girl or that it was that big of a deal.

"I was at the show, got up onstage and tried to take a stupid Snapchat video of me jumping into the crowd,” she said in an Instagram post. “I was drunk and my phone wasn’t working properly to load the app, so I stood up there longer than I had anticipated. As expected at all hardcore shows, Parker was going with the flow and just hyping up the crowd so he kicked me offstage.”

"It was all in good fun in my opinion, and it wasn’t even a hard kick, just like a push or nudge,” she says in an email correspondence with AP.

I'm not sticking up for Parker at all and do not think a vocalist should kick anyone, but that's not the point in question here. The girl obviously has no problem with it (she has probably been hit before at hardcore shows or bands that have fans of hardcore), and so it looks like the only two people who don't feel safe are you two guys who are speaking for girls that haven't shared the same thoughts.

Pepetito likes this.
  2. Grapevine_Twine

It's a Chunky! Supporter

Damn your anecdotal evidence convinced me that TSSF isn't a misogynistic band

Carrow, dadbolt, Anthony_ and 2 others like this.
  3. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

I never said TSSF wasn't misogynistic. I only gave the girl's testimony of the event and how she feels about it. Is her word not good enough for you to understand that girls can enjoy this band?

You can say you personally don't feel comfortable with this band being talked about, but it's silly to try to group girls together and say they are uncomfortable around this band when the number of girls at TSSF shows prove otherwise.

4. Grapevine_Twine

It's a Chunky! Supporter

I commented before you edited your post

5. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

And I do believe that people can get a scratch of misogynistic thoughts from this band's lyrics, especially in their first album. The teenage angst in this band are the thorns around the roses. I was never trying to stick up for the band or that the singer kicked a girl off stage, only that a ton of girls can and do enjoy this band without feeling uncomfortable.

6. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

Nah, painkillers.

Sorry for wanting to discuss music man. Here's an idea, don't comment? There's ton of other music threads, plenty of them featuring bands that have non-male musicians in and I see you in them all the time.

7. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

Personally I get why the band have troubling lyrics and it's why I like What You Don't See most of their albums, it's the one where the anger seemed mostly internal, and less related to a girl. The last one definitely had missteps lyrically but was still an improvement on the first album which definitely had some bad lyrics (Daughters, Mt Diablo).

8. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

Damn, that stuff is gonna be hard to get off of. Two of my friends have been addicted to painkillers for years.

9. CoffeeEyes17

Reclusive-aggressive Prestigious

discussing music is all well and good but when the lead singer of this band has literally physically assaulted women it crosses the line. All I'm saying is theres already a low percentage of women/femmes on this site as is and having these threads can kind of exasperate that issue. I'm not saying we shouldnt have threads for these bands at all, well I guess I would prefer that but thats just me, I just think its important to mention in these threads this toxic context in hopes that somehow things can maybe get better.

Carrow and Anthony_ like this.
  10. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

That's fine, and I agree with that it should be mentioned for sure. Guess it just seemed like you were saying we definitely shouldn't have a thread on these guys, but it was probably just me getting the wrong end of the stick, it's difficult over pure text sometimes.

11. Joel

Trusted Prestigious

@SamLevi11 you're right and people can draw their own lines on what they do and don't want to listen to, but like you said, it certainly can be brought up and I saw this thread being bumped and had no idea it was "that" band until yesterday so if other people missed the story the first time around, it might/should be of interest to them

@FreshnessExpired tread carefully, your logic is AT LEAST bad and at worst legitimately dangerous. Just because some girls who are fans of the band decide it is okay does not make it okay. In fact, bands like this that they have looked up to that consistently brush aside their humanity and reduce them to caricatures in their songs are likely directly contributing to how they view both themselves and their interactions with the problematic males they idolize. In an abusive relationship, the victim often believes it to be okay and excuses the behavior to those close to them, this does not validate or make the abuse okay.

just my two cents, anyways! gonna stay out of here because if people want to talk about the band that is definitely your right. don't forget their are thousands of other excellent bands out there!

Anthony_D'Elia and cwhit like this.
  12. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

Yeah, I mean, that girls statement always came across as slightly like she was trying to protect them. That said, I doubt Parker paid any attention to what gender the person taking a selfie on stage was, it was a dick move either way and he was rightfully called out, but I don't think he did it because it was a girl.

Either way, the situation was shitty and yeah, it's worth making people aware this happened. That said, I enjoy their music a lot and think they're basically one of the best and most consistent pop punk bands around and I'm pretty psyched for new music from them.

goation, Chcurry182 and solxace like this.
  13. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

Let girls speak for themselves.

Go around and ask the girls on this site. If half are uncomfortable with the band then you can delete this thread.

14. Joel

Trusted Prestigious

Many are and were in the sixteen page thread on the initial news post last year.

15. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

Asking for people to not discuss any music that this band releases?

16. Joel

Trusted Prestigious

lol you asked if any people that identify as female that post on this site were "uncomfortable with the band" and I was letting you know that it is heavily documented that many were. Not asking you to delete the thread and not engaging with you further.

17. Anthony_ Sep 15, 2017
    (Last edited: Feb 6, 2018)
    Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

It's the same with Neck Deep and Moose Blood as with this band: their prior actions are constantly being papered over with the passage of time. If you don't like it when people come into the threads to post about their history to not let it be forgotten, and to let people know who might not know after all this time, it probably says more about your own true feelings regarding what happened than anything any of us are saying. People deserve to know these things and make their own choices about how they feel.

Basically, if it makes you uncomfortable to be reminded of what the bands' members did, maybe it's time to reevaluate your support for them, idk.

Carrow, cwhit, Joel and 1 other person like this.
  18. Mikeydude91

I don't understand why "its worth making people aware this happened." I guess I'm just glad people don't consistently comment about something I did a year ago on every post that involves me.

19. Joel

Trusted Prestigious

yeah being held accountable for a pattern of shitty behaviour must be tiresome

Carrow and CoffeeEyes17 like this.
  20. Anthony_ Sep 15, 2017
    (Last edited: Feb 6, 2018)
    Anthony_

Because he didn't forget to leave the toilet seat down or accidentally let the door shut on someone right behind him, he physically assaulted a fan at a show. Literally. It's worth making people aware it happened because some people who don't know it happened might want to know that the band they like has this history, so they can re-evaluate their support of said band accordingly.

For example, I used to be a huge Moose Blood fan, and then it came out that they were scummy and so I stopped supporting them. I'm glad I was informed because it allowed me to cut off my support accordingly. There's literally no harm to you in informing people of what Parker did and keeping it in the public consciousness. If it makes you uncomfortable that people keep talking about it, see my prior post, below.

CoffeeEyes17 likes this.
  21. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

I was more shocked by the statement that girls are uncomfortable with the band. I wasn't here when the news of Parker kicking the fan off the stage surfaced so I didn't see reactions. From my experience on the guy/girl ratio at TSSF shows and the girl's testimony, it was never in my mind that girl's were uncomfortable with this band. Disgusted by Parker, sure, but not with the band as a whole.

It's also different that, as far as anyone of us know, Parker didn't kick the girl because she was a girl and he was just being a careless dumbass instead of a sexist and careless dumbass, which I wouldn't hold up to the same as band members of Moose Blood and Neck Deep preying on female fans.

I obviously wouldn't be surprised that girls are uncomfortable with bands that have a history of sexual misconduct with girls.

22. Anthony_

Look, all I'm saying is I'm not ok with a band whose singer assaults people, especially vulnerable people. I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels that way, so I talk about it in order that people won't forget it.

There was an assault. That's a fact that can't be talked around. You and everyone else is free to do with that information what you will (or won't, as the case may be).

Joel and CoffeeEyes17 like this.
  23. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

Maybe you can re-read where I condemned Parker and then post a reply that is actually a response to what I said.

24. josh-

Twitter: @joshcaraballin

Except the Moose Blood and Neck Deep cases deal with sexual assault, TSSF does not. Parker shouldn't have dropkicked that girl or anyone for that matter, but the girl didn't even care. And yeah they have misogynistic lyrics that they wrote when they were 18, not like any of your other favorite bands didn't do that (cough Blink). It's also assault when people get punched in a mosh pit at a show, and if your in the pit or you stage dive you're expecting to get "assaulted",

25. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

I continued to call the band out on their lyrics until they stopped playing said songs at shows.