Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The State of The Surprise Album

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jun 1, 2016.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Speaking of The Ringer, here’s Lindsay Zoladz, writing about the idea of the “surprise album” release:

“Surprise” is pop music’s latest fetish commodity, a new but widely accepted virtue in an industry desperately trying to adapt to the demands (and attention spans) of the digital age. The album promotional cycle used to be pretty uniform: Announce the release date a few months prior, send a single to radio, and tour once the album comes out. But these tactics have now been replaced by, say, obtuse teasers that often feel like perfume ads directed by Terrence Malick and promotional hieroglyphs graffitied onto urban sidewalks (and which often, in the case of Arcade Fire and more recently Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeroes, result in apologies).

2. devenstonow

Noobie

It's putting publicity for an album above sales.

Dirty Sanchez likes this.
  3. Guys Named Todd

Regular Prestigious

I assumed that the whole "surprise" trend would eventually grow into an expectation and then transform into a normal thing. I personally like when artists announce new material a week out rather than a whole season or year. For me it creates hype and makes me more likely to impulse buy the record because 1) pre-orders don't have that immediate gratification and 2) waiting for things sucks.

bradsonemanband likes this.
  4. SteveLikesMusic

approx. 3rd coolest Steve on here Supporter

Love the description of Lemonade in that article.