Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Starting Line Band • Page 6

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Melody Bot, Jan 9, 2016.

1. parkerxcore

Somebody's gonna miss us Supporter

I genuinely believe the reason why Cartel's success plateaued is because their live show was so absolutely boring.

2. Or because their second album flopped?

3. Larry David

I'll see you again in 25 years Prestigious

trevorshmevor likes this.
  4. S/T would have alienated some fans regardless, but without the Band In The Bubble backfire they'd have been able to sustain themselves. Lots of people disregarded the record entirely based on that alone.

Petit nain des Îles likes this.
  5. This is so weird. S/T is one of my favorite pop rock albums of all time. It isn't that different from their other material. Maybe it came out too early or people were less open minded than today ? I didn't know the band at the time so I never watched that Bubble show, was it that negative for Cartel ?

6. Larry David

I'd say it was negative in the sense that they had to rush a writing process, and made a record that's nowhere near Chroma quality.

7. bobby_runs

where would i be if i was my brain Prestigious

It really wasn't that rushed. They already had the album done. Just had to do a bunch of stuff for tv.

trevorshmevor likes this.
  8. Larry David

Yikes. Not sure what their excuse is in that case.

9. TSLROCKS

Trusted Supporter

I love the S/T from Cartel lol

Just really unfortunate how that turned out for them

10. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

they played say anything else at the emo night i got convinced to go to on friday. hadn't heard that song in years. still bangs

Jusscali and KidLightning like this.
  11. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

also by the time the second album came out and didn't do well the mid 2000s pop rock stuff was already falling away from mainstream radio prevalence, and the neon pop rock fearless records stuff got bigger (though not quite pop radio big)

12. The bubble thing totally killed their momentum because a bunch of impressionable teens and twenty somethings actually believed that Cartel wrote and recorded that record in like a week or whatever lol. The record wasn't Chroma part 2, so they were gonna receive backlash either way, but the criticism certainly wouldn't have been as harsh if not for the show.

Of course I'm biased in this myself because I love S/T haha

13. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

I truly think that Cartel's self-titled album sucks, bubble or not. I appreciate their attempt to try new things and new styles, but I think it was a failure and 80% of the songs are bad

Pepetito, Jusscali and Larry David like this.
  14. Elder Lightning

A lightning bolt without a cloud in the sky Supporter

"Lose It" is still a top 5 Cartel song:

15. irthesteve

Completely disagree, hate that song. From that album I'd probably only keep The Best, Wasted and maybe The Fortunate

Jusscali and truelovewaits like this.
  16. Larry David

There's five songs (maybe more) on Chroma better than it! ;-)

Anthony_D'Elia likes this.
  17. irthesteve

There's quite literally 12 songs on Chroma better than Lose It

18. I Will Hide Myself Away and Georgia though

Jusscali likes this.
  19. irthesteve

pass. Maybe I like Georgia though, I can't think of that one by name

20. Elder Lightning

Zac Djamoos likes this.
  21. TSLROCKS

Trusted Supporter

now I'm in the mood to listen to some S/T Cartel

22. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

This is the best song mentioned in this thread and tsl and cartel are some of my favorite bands

KidLightning likes this.
  23. Elder Lightning

Haha, I couldn't remember what Cartel's "Georgia" sounded like, this was all I could think of.

Zac Djamoos likes this.
  24. Larry David

Haha I agree. I was just using 5 as an example because they said it was a top 5 song

irthesteve likes this.
  25. I don't see what makes Chroma stand out among the pop punk albums that were coming out at the time. I like it more now but they become way better as songwriters over the following years.