Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Starting Line to Perform ‘BOATS’ Tonight

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jan 15, 2021.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

And speaking of streams, The Starting Line’s Based on a True Story concert airs tonight. I watched the Direction one last weekend and the quality was fantastic. I highly recommend these for any fan of the band.

more

Not all embedded content is displayed here. You can view the original to see embedded videos, tweets, etc.

Brent likes this.
  2. ThumbsUpComics

Dumb guy

Entirely stoked for this. Direction stream was incredible and BOATS is my favorite album of theirs.

3. parkerxcore

Somebody's gonna miss us Supporter

My sister is coming over for the stream and we're stoked. BOATS is probably our favorite record.

I stole her SILYMI record when I was like 11. We've seem them countless times together over the years. Definitely one of the first bands we bonded over. We saw them last year in LA for the 20 Year Tour. Gonna be a fun night!

4. ThumbsUpComics

Dumb guy

That's awesome! My older sister and I bonded over music too. Lots of fond memories going to shows with her. Hope to see one with her again sometime in the near future but she lives across the country now so it's a bit harder to coordinate.

falafelmywaffle and parkerxcore like this.
  5. efp722

Regular

This, Jimmy Eat World, and WandaVision.

Gonna be an epic night!

6. Framey

Newbie Supporter

Direction stream was awesome. Good to have them back.

7. surgerone

Regular Supporter

holy shit I didn't realize they were pressing all these to vinyl! ughhh decisions

arcarsenal72 likes this.
  8. noKings

Regular

contemplating this... estimated about 2 hours with included interviews?

9. Phil507

Resident NYC snob Supporter

Hot Take: The Starting Line grew into to be a much more interesting band and probably would have gotten more respect from the non-Warped Tour crowd if they weren't always beholden to the their Drive-Thru NFG-sounding over-produced debut (although that record still has some charms as well).

10. efp722

Regular

Direction was just barely an hour. Interview was maybe less then 5 minutes split between the opening and middle of performance.

Production/quality is top notch.

noKings and Brent like this.
  11. WasEmoRocknowImjustold

Not newbie, I think Supporter

What? Nobody knew who they were until DTR put them on the map. They had opportunities they never would have had, toured with huge bands off the jump. Strong disagree. What non-warped tour crowd listened to this music? Sorry, I think this is just a bad take.

12. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

I need to watch this. Mainly for Artistic License and B-List.

CyberInferno and waterloobeam like this.
  13. waterloobeam

Regular

its worth it, all songs are flawlessly performed

14. Pepetito

Trusted Supporter

You are right. that is a hot take.

15. Sherlock Mahomes

Regular Supporter

This was awesome. Direction is their best album, but BOATS is my favorite. I've written papers about "Inspired by the $". :crylaugh:

16. Phil507

Missing the point. I feel like they were unable to build a career because they were forever tied with the Warped Tour/Alternative Press scene and the records they made in 2005 and 2007 would likely have been well received by the likes of the blogs in the 00’s without the baggage of their nasal-sounding debut.

17. Pepetito

Trusted Supporter

The “baggage” of their nasal sounding debut ......let’s just say I completely disagree.

JamesMichael likes this.
  18. dp619

Regular Supporter

The story about "The World" followed up by "their" rendition of it was awesome.

arcarsenal72 and surgerone like this.
  19. efp722

Regular

I dunno, maybe it's just me, but I feel like this 3 album live stream could build to something new from these guys. I mean, they are going through and pressing these on Vinyl and everything.

Not saying a brand new album is in the works but for a band that just does the annual holiday show to then doing the 2019 1999 Tour and then being completely derailed in 2020- what are the chances they actually have something new in the works?

Maybe I'm just feeling super nostalgic seeing these guys play these albums and talking about their career.

One can only hope!

20. parkerxcore

Somebody's gonna miss us Supporter

I'm with you and I definitely believe we need another record from these guys, especially with how well Direction has aged. I feel like they have such a better understanding of what TSL is after all these years and can kind of view the band from an outside perspective.

Kenny did mention in one of the live stream interviews that he wants TSL to be the best version of themselves they can be and hopeful that they can create new music...so that definitely gave me some false hope.

waterloobeam likes this.
  21. kelseyleigh

Trusted Supporter

This was fantastic and I'm so glad I watched.

22. WasEmoRocknowImjustold Jan 18, 2021
    (Last edited: Jan 18, 2021)
    WasEmoRocknowImjustold

Not newbie, I think Supporter

First of all, new album that appreciates their SILYM it nostalgia with some Island instrumentation and BOATS ballads... yes please.

Dude, they wouldn't have a career and we wouldn't know who they were without DTR-AP-Warped scene. I get you're saying they got pigeon-holed but I'd call it the opposite, they got fans that way. I remember listening to their EP before DTR, I think. No non-emo scene label listens to that and wants to sign them. Word of mouth through the scene through all the shows that everyone went to got them attention. It was a pipeline, and not a mainstream one until later. No DTR-AP-Warped or scene? They play a few basement shows and openers and call it a day after a year or two.

They weren't going to be the next Killers/3 Doors Down/Lifehouse/Maroon 5/Foo Fighters/Nickelback... pop-rock band in terms of popularity and no record label was going to take SILYM to sound less produced. BOATS didn't stray much from sounding emo-scene, they were travelling into that "bipolar rock" sound that the genre was pushing to. I sorta-kinda get your point, I still just think it's silly. The closest radio stuff besides JEW/FOB, was like Incubus and Hoobastank crap at the time.

23. TerrancePryor

https://mp3sandnpcs.com/ Prestigious

There's a lot of bands forever tied to the Warped Tour/AP scene that had good careers. All Time Low, 3OH!3, Sleeping With Sirens, The Devil Wears Prada. No clue what you exactly meant by that.

24. Phil507

My point is that The Starting Line could have likely found a slightly different fanbase with their 2005 and 2007 releases if they didn't have the stigma of being a "Warped Tour" band. The bands you listed above, which for the most part I can't really stomach, I don't believe altered their sound that much since their inception but I'm happy to be proved wrong (save for All Time Low was able to slightly pivot).

25. Bartek T.

D'oh! Prestigious

The argument in this thread is worhtless, but I get it - though it's just so simple, why even bother - just listen to "Somebody's Gonna Miss Us" and you get it all ot once.

Music changes, debut albums stick or not, their further success was mostly blocked by the shift from MCA to Geffen (I've just listened to a podcast with Kenny yesterday about some of that as well).