Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Starting Line in Portland (Throwback Thursday)

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jun 16, 2016.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

If I recall correctly, this “Throwback Thursday” gallery comes from the first time I ever photographed The Starting Line at the Roseland Ballroom in Portland, OR. I am pretty sure it was also their first national tour, and they were the opening band on a bill with New Found Glory, RX Bandits, and h3O.

It’s been interesting as I continue my deep dive into what seems like a never ending abyss of images; I sort through these boxes and struggle with where to even start. This week, when I came across these rolls of film, I realized these images would end up being a pretty sizable milestone for myself as a photographer. A few of the images from this night ended up being used on the album cover for The Starting Line’s release of The Early Years (We the People Sessions). You’ll find the full gallery below.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    15 years have passed since I captured these images and since 2016 has given us new music from these guys, I look forward to the opportunity to capture even more soon. Enjoy.

2. joey-wan kenobi

Happiness is a warm gun mama

That necklace. Man, these were the days.

marceting and jorbjorb like this.
  3. crunchprank

crunchprank.net Prestigious

I definitely caught a tour around that time with RX Bandits, NFG, and H2O on the bill. However I don't think we got The Starting Line. I wanna say Catch 22 was there?

Either way, the We The People sessions will always be my favorite release of TSL. Can't believe they got rid of Birch Hill!

But yeah, you got some darn good shots. Looks like you were both on stage and in the crowd?

davegaslin likes this.
  4. jorbjorb

7 rings

blonde hair rules

5. Haha such a throw back.

6. don't fret

Went to this show in Santa Cruz and I believe RX Bandits had to bail so an relatively unknown Fall Out Boy filled in for them

davegaslin likes this.
  7. This makes me feel like a kid again. Good work.

8. Tim McCall

Regular

Is this before or after their appearance on Punk goes Pop? I met Kenny for the first time around that time.

9. rxbandit89

probably over-caffeinated. Supporter

Damn, this brings back memories. I wanted to BE Kenny when I was like 14.

Jason Tate and trevorshmevor like this.
  10. blacktaxi2d

damn these pictures are awesome!! regarding the site, is there anyway to make these into a scrolling gallery instead of separate tabs?

11. trevorshmevor Jun 16, 2016
    (Last edited: Jun 16, 2016)
    This is amazing, thanks for sharing!

Man, I think Kenny's belt in these is the real throwback here. Remember when everyone had one of those wrapped around the waist of their Dickies shorts?

Jason Tate likes this.
  12. Tom

It's way too late, or much too early Prestigious

Haha Love it

13. Gallery on the homepage should do just that. Can swipe through.

14. Arry

it was all a dream Prestigious

i remember wanting to go to this exact show, but i couldn't because i didn't have a ride and my mom didn't let me

Jason Tate likes this.
  15. jeff.dart

Regular

nice, man. i was definitely at this show, i remember kenny was saying "thank you" to the crowd after every song, they were so pumped to be on tour.

side note, wasn't this the show where we (the crowd) broke the floor so NFG had to move the show downstairs? i can't remember if this is the one i was thinking of.

Jason Tate likes this.
  16. I remember this happening, I don't remember if it was this one either.

17. ARo24

Regular

Definitely brings back some memories. I will forever love TSL awesome photos man.

18. Bayside 182

Wolverine Supporter

Awesome pics, would love them to do a full tour now that they are kind of back together but I realize thats not likely.

19. davegaslin Jun 17, 2016
    (Last edited by a moderator: Jun 17, 2016)
    davegaslin

I was. Back in those days, and especially in smaller venues, they didn't care at all.

20. davegaslin

I'm pretty sure everyone did. :crylaugh:

21. davegaslin

It's crazy, I was thinking about this just last week. I'm pretty sure it was this show. If it wasn't, it was definitely on the next tour cycle. Jason, just found a roll of Brand New at the Meow Meow...still sifting to see if there were more rolls from that same show, but man what a blast from the past. I forgot about that cramped cement box.

22. Bartek T.

D'oh! Prestigious

That's crazy ;d I'm spinning SILYMI im my car the last two days again in the name of that ;p

23. That show was so hot. I was dying. Pure sweat.

24. blacktaxi2d

ty, much better

25. say_hello_to_good_times

Love how they are all wearing NFG shirts...