Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Staircase (2004, Coming to Netflix) TV Show • Page 2

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Dinosaurs Dish, Apr 18, 2018.

1. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

I'm curious where you stand if you watch the whole thing.

BirdPerson likes this.
  2. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

Woah there's 13 episodes of this? I just finished the 2nd one and I can't imagine how they stretch this out that long.

supernovagirl likes this.
  3. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

Lots of twists and turns.

4. supernovagirl

Poetic and noble land mermaid

Yeah I’m one episode in. I am kinda like “how are they going to stretch this out” but I feel like there are twists coming that will do just that lol

5. BirdPerson

fuck tammy! Prestigious

on episode 2. I cannot tell you how many crime shows and documentaries and things i've watched in my life but i have never seen a witness coach in action. this is....interesting

neo506 and chewbacca110 like this.
  6. StevenW92

Regular

After 6 episodes I’m 90% positive he’s innocent. Fully expecting him to be found guilty though.

7. BirdPerson Jun 13, 2018
    (Last edited: Jun 13, 2018)
    BirdPerson

fuck tammy! Prestigious

Still on ep 2. When Mike says that you cross the street and it goes from white to black he is not lying or exaggerating. You can also draw lines between crime ridden and "safe" by crossing certain streets as the neighborhood changes

edit: i am physically cringing listening to these mock jurors talking about Henry Lee, fucking north carolina

edit 2: have any of you tripped going up the stairs? i have a few times, and i always fell forward. and those head wounds...you don't get those from falling down the stairs. they said the blood was dry when the EMTs got there, so if that's actually the case...that smells like enough time to WALK somewhere and get rid of the fire poker (assuming that was really the murder weapon)

8. BirdPerson Jun 14, 2018
    (Last edited: Jun 14, 2018)
    BirdPerson

fuck tammy! Prestigious

okay next ep, evidence tech is stating the blood was dry. now, if it wasn't december, i'd say okay, it's north carolina and there's air conditioning etc, could possibly make sense...i suppose since they were pretty well off they could have already have the heat on, but december in north carolina is not that cold. at all.

that said, man something's fucky with all these damn photos

edit: watching duane deaver doing blood spatter "analysis" is filling me with rage

edit 2: i wasn't paying close attention to the DAs on the case, but wikipedia says mike nifong was on the prosecution team. if duane deaver was telling the truth about the luma-lite t-shirt report, that he did hand it over, i would be 100% not surprised if nifong "lost" it

edit 3: god i forgot how awesome it was when greg taylor got freed

9. BirdPerson

fuck tammy! Prestigious

triple post: don't know if they are going to talk about tracey cline but she was shitty too and was also subsequently disbarred. they booted her out of the DA's office because she ...got a little mad...at orlando hudson (same judge in this case) for dismissing another case that deaver intentionally fucked up

so if you're keeping track that's 2 durham DAs disbarred

oh they just showed kathleen's sister ripping cline a new one lol

10. I just don't see how a reasonable person could be comfortable with a guilty verdict.

Dinosaurs Dish likes this.
  11. BirdPerson

fuck tammy! Prestigious

nor do I. I still don't know if he's guilty, but he sure as shit didn't get a fair trial, and they proved reasonable doubt

there were several murder trials when I lived in NC that IMO the defendants didn't get fair trials/convicted despite reasonable doubt (i still think they were guilty, but again, state didn't make the case). jason young and brad cooper come to mind (although cooper took a 2nd degree murder plea after his first conviction was overturned)

Dinosaurs Dish likes this.
  12. BirdPerson

fuck tammy! Prestigious

supernovagirl and jkauf like this.
  13. jkauf

Prestigious Supporter

14. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

Just finished episode 8 where they read the verdict. This has been pretty interesting. Excited to watch the last handful of episodes.

15. supernovagirl

I’m finally on episode 9 or 10 and I can’t wait to finish so I can actually read this thread and talk about it with people. I got a lot to say!!!

16. chewbacca110

He wrenches on it. He thinks it's his.

From the information presented in the doc, I think he's innocent but what I found suspect: the spatter inside his shorts, how does that even happen? I know shock is different for everyone, but his 911 call sounds so.... fake? The coincidence of things happening TWICE in his lifetime.

17. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

Just finished. Very interesting documentary. I’m definitely leaning more towards guilty than not guilty.

18. supernovagirl

I don’t think he’s innocent and the spoiled reasons are partially why haha.
    Anyway I juuust finished the original set of episodes. Got 3 more left now I think? Then I’ll be tearing this thread apart JUST U WAIT

19. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

I don't understand why people are so perplexed how blood spatter can end up in his shorts. Blood was everywhere, so I'm sure there was blood spatters on a hundred different surfaces.

And saying the 911 call sounded fake makes no sense to me as well. How in the world are we supposed to be able to tell what sounds fake or real?

20. supernovagirl

I’m not saying we’re supposed to be able to tell but like we can also make judgements as people based on our experiences with other people? To me, it sounds incredibly disingenuous. There’s literally no way for me to interpret the call as genuine. That’s my personal reaction and opinion, but I’m not saying I expect a jury to react the same way.

21. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

Sure, I get that, and I'm not saying you're doing that specifically. I just don't see why people point to that and be like "You can tell he's faking it. Guilty!"

22. The way the documentary was presented, there's no way I could find him guilty if I was on the jury.

The problem with this documentary and others like it (Making a Murderer for example), is that they are completely biased towards one side or the other.

It's helpful to read through the Reddit thread on what was omitted and then it's easier to see why he was found guilty.

23. nomemorial

you're in a cult, call your dad

Finished this last night. My wife and I both ended thinking that he was not guilty, though also likely not entirely innocent. We both were of the mind that maybe he did something accidental and it ended poorly, like they were walking up the stairs together and drunkenly arguing and he maybe turned around and accidentally shoved her down and it ended really poorly? Still just a theory and hardly exact, but we felt like it's possible what happened was in a "greyer area."

That reddit thread definitely gave me some pause to my initial personal verdict, though. Some pretty damning stuff in there.

24. jkauf

Prestigious Supporter

The 911 call and the way he retraced his steps with the cops in the beginning seemed so staged and phony. "And that was the last time I saw her alive. Oh wait....!" Anyway, I'm pretty sure there's only one way for splatter to get INSIDE the shorts like that -- unless he dropped something in the blood while checking her.

25. supernovagirl

One more episode left... then I want to read that Reddit thread for sure.

Although I do think he’s guilty, I agree that he didn’t get a fair trial and was deff not proven beyond reasonable doubt. However since I do think he is guilty I’m still happy with the (original) verdict because I hope it was justice for Kathleen and even the girls mom (Ratliff? I can’t remember her name)

BirdPerson likes this.