Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Spill Canvas Band • Page 2

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by cshadows2887, Mar 20, 2018.

1. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

2. irthesteve

zsoty27 likes this.
  3. zsoty27

"I am the patron saint of lost causes"

New song sounds really good. Glad they made another LP after 9 years.

4. irthesteve

Yeah the song is pretty nice! Very cool that there's an album coming

5. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

There's something about this guy where the lyrics are so cheesy like they've always been and yet I'm always intrigued by them lol

irthesteve likes this.
  6. irthesteve

It's endearingly cheesey is why

7. irthesteve

New one with Sherri DuPree Bemis

Matt504 likes this.
  8. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

Some of his phrasing is so overwrought and grammatically poor that you want to smack him and yet...I love it all.

irthesteve and David87 like this.
  9. irthesteve

new track is pretty nice

10. SoCoWilderNeSs

Regular Supporter

Darkside is now available. That makes 3 tracks off the new album on streaming services.

I like all 3 well enough but for one of my favorite bands of all time as TSC are, I wish I was connecting with them more. Let me say I've been spinning these tracks a lot and have a lot of love for them but since my expectations are impossibly high, especially after the long wait, let me also shamelessly whine it out for a bit lol

Molecules isn't really better or worse than any of their prior ballad type slow songs even though Sherri Dupree-Bemis shines bright. The song writing on it just doesn't feel new if that makes sense? It feels like a safe, almost lazy rework of their formula for their typical token "ballad of the record". I enjoy it but not on "a sub-atomic level."

The other two tracks are good as well, definitely fit into their discography and are better than 90% of music I will hear by any band this year to my biased ears for sure but at the same time they don't stand out as special to me in the way that different tracks on their prior records did on first listen.

I was blown away by Lust A Prima Vista, Staplegunned, All Over You, Battles, Polygraph and so many others including basically the whole Sunsets album. I'm just not blown away by these.

Anybody with me or am I crazy? Either way I'm thrilled they are back and am still enjoying the new releases.

11. zsoty27

"I am the patron saint of lost causes"

12. SoCoWilderNeSs

Regular Supporter

I just finished my first listen. I like it a lot. I don't know that I'm blown away yet but at the very least it's right in the mix and not a big step down or anything either.

To be fair though I listened while working so I wasn't able to give it my full attention quite yet.

13. The record is good. Nothing excites me more than the first single, but this is very listenable and I think they sound as good, if not better, than they ever have.

14. irthesteve

Yep, very nice a solid release. Not amazing, but that's more than ok.

15. I revisited some of their old material too and that Realities EP had a killer hit-to-stinker ratio.

16. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

I think I’m going to give this a listen.

17. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

I love this. This is the album I wanted after No Really, I’m Fine. “Akathisia” especially just slays

Jason Tate likes this.
  18. disambigujason

Trusted Supporter

Surprised there isn’t more talk for this record, especially with a relative dearth of recent scene releases. I was always a very casual TSC fan but I like this a lot.

cshadows2887 likes this.
  19. irthesteve

20. Elder Lightning

A lightning bolt without a cloud in the sky Supporter

21. Elder Lightning

A lightning bolt without a cloud in the sky Supporter

954220A2-AB62-4AC0-89BA-29112EC5433F.jpeg

3C6B2B86-C415-4F01-91E9-9251716778C4.jpeg

disambigujason likes this.
  22. marsupial jones

make a bagel without the hole

Saw this on some year end lists and didn’t even know this came out way back when so listening now.

Maybe I haven’t listened to this band in a long time, vocals sound dominate to like 3 different singers but not what I remember of Spill Canvas.

Also, does Coheed & Cambria get royalties for each time “Darkside” is played? That sounds like a b-side of theirs, including most of the lyrics.

23. irthesteve

24. Wow, I’m surprised how hard it is to listen to even a cover of one of Noah’s songs. Thought this could be a cheeky loophole since I cut him out of my rotation. Nope!

The Pinegrove and STD covers are solid. They’re not really add anything to the songs, per se, but they sound Spill Canvasy so I dig it. Throwing those two into my covers playlist.

25. digitalsea

hate my favorite band Supporter

Covering three artists that are shitty people is definitely a choice